SIG Talk banner

Newbie from Rockland/Westchester NY

437 17
Good morning all.

My name is Mike, I am 30 and I am one of those poor souls who finally decided to go through the lengthy process of obtaining a pistol license in one of the lower New York counties.

I hope to have my sportsman/residence permit in a week or two, which is a fancy way of saying target shooting/home defense permit. I've wanted and still do want a P250 or P320 for a few years now.

Realistically looking for a p320 compact 9mm since I'll mostly be using it for target shooting until I can apply for a CC down the road.

The other issue is in NY we are restricted to a 10rd magazine.

I've slowly watched them disappear from all the gun shops and online stores while I waited for the process to go through. My permit process in Rockland County took about 4 months. I've had friends who've taken 6 months, and others who are from Westchester that took well over a year. I didn't want to attempt to purchase it before hand and the permit be denied, or it have to sit at a dealer for months since no one realistically knew the length of time it takes for applications to be approved.

Are they really becoming that scarce? Anyone have any recommendations to getting one without having to wait a few months like local gunshops have been telling me?

Thanks for your time.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
🎖USMC Veteran Premium Member
4,567 Posts
As a former NY resident, I know what you are going through. As long as you let the Liberals run the state it will not change. Welcome from Florida.

·
Registered
17,241 Posts
Welcome from Texas.
Are You talking about the P250s ? Sig discontinued that model in everything but 22 LR.
I still see them All three sizes)quite often here in Texas especially at Gun Shows.
The P320s are all over down here too.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Welcome from Virginia -- sorry to hear about your licensing predicament.
As a consolation, you're still better off than most of the rest of the world. Having lived in Europe for a while, it's almost impossible to own a handgun (unless you're a well connected elite individual), and too expensive to qualify to own a long gun.

You'll eventually get it, but those poor folks will never have a chance --

·
Registered
546 Posts
Welcome Mike. As a fellow New Yorker, I feel your pain. I'm in Albany area, and here, you have to have a purchased handgun to start your application process. I had to pay for my hand gun, then wait the nearly 8 months while my papers went thru the process. After all that, it's still a restricted permit!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.