SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am a newbie AR user but am a proud new owner of the Sig M400 Elite rifle.

I was looking for suggestions on what else I might add to this rifle in terms of target shooting and maybe more coolness factor - if it's even possible to raise that?! :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Optic, foregrip, sling. Maybe a light

Everything else is probably unnecessary but to each their own

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Budget is decent. But don't ask my wife. It's all my discretionary funds on the side :)

I have a sling on order and adding a Magpul forend grip tonight.

I cannot wait to shoot it this weekend!!!

Saturday cannot come fast enough.

TY for the responses.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Buy a case of ammo and a dozen magazines. After you shoot through that case, you'll have a better idea which accessories will improve your AR shooting experience. I've given away or traded plenty of accessories I thought would be cool, but ended up being wasted money and adding weight to the AR's.

That said, Geissele makes some nice triggers for AR's ;)

·
🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
9,057 Posts
Welcome from the West Coast of Florida

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Ohio.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just shooting fun and home defense. I have a feeling my wife would find this to be more fun to shoot.

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Buy a case of ammo and a dozen magazines. After you shoot through that case, you'll have a better idea which accessories will improve your AR shooting experience. I've given away or traded plenty of accessories I thought would be cool, but ended up being wasted money and adding weight to the AR's.

That said, Geissele makes some nice triggers for AR's ;)
Bingo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, nice dot. TY.

Like what ScrapRat said, I'll go through 500-1000 rounds and then I'll see how I like that Romeo with it.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Welcome!!! Your rifle came without any sights from what I've read. So the big decisions should start with sights

Optics come in two major groups, red dots and telescopic sights. Red dots are faster to acquire targets, allow the use of both eyes and are good out to 200 yards or more with a magnifier. They are ideal in many ways for a rifle with a 16 inch carbine barrel. If you go the red dot route you should add iron sights to co-witnedd with the red dot.

The military uses the Trijicon ACOG with four power fixed magnification and a reticle calibrated to military ammunition. They are very durable and are expensive.

The modern telescopic sight many civilians use is a variable power scope with or without a lighted reticle. The biggest mistake on scopes is usually too much magnification.

SIG is very new to manufacturing sights. Their telescopic sights are built like tanks and are therefore very heavy for what they do. IMO, the bugs are not yet out of SIG's scopes. High end scopes are usually adjustable in .1 MRAD or .25 MOA, i.e., about a third of an inch or a quarter of an inch at 100 yards. SIG went with .2 MRAD and .5 MOA on their tactical 1-6x24 tactical scopes which is ok for short shots but is not good at long distances. (I own several SIG optics.)

Good brands of red dots from most expensive downward are Aimpoint, Trijicon and Vortex. Telescopic sight brands of quality are too numerous to list, but always look at Leupold, Vortex, Burris and Bushnell to name a few. Quality is usually proportional to price.

Bill

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.