SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this forum and started reading some of the posts and they all sounded very intelligent and helpful.
I have owned a couple different Sigs: 1911 scorpion, SP2022, mosquito and my latest Sig purchase is a 516 Patrol in FDE. Now, right out of the box I had an issue- it was dirty, like a thin black residue all over the BCG parts and the piston rod. I bought the 516 because I learned that they run cleaner and longer without having to clean. So, I asked the private dealer that I bought it from what his take on it was and he said "they test fire them." From what I have learned about the 516 is that it would take about 5000 rounds to get it as dirty as mine was. Trying to be optimistic, I just figured it could have been some sort of lube/oil that I am not familiar with that is darker in color. So I took a Rem Oil wipe to the BCG and wiped it all off. I then took it out and shot about 100 rounds through it, took it apart and it did get pretty dirty from just that, lots of carbon build-up. I understand the gas should not even reach the BCG so im not sure why it is that dirty.
Next is a simple question: I have a drop-in .22 conversion bolt. Can I use it with the gas piston system and if so, what setting should I have the piston on? I have heard mixed reviews on this topic.
So, if anyone has any information on why the rifle was dirty and/or information on the .22 conversion that would be great. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,096 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from Virginia!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Can't answer the .22 conversion, but my 516 also came dirty. This apparently is the factory packing grease, and was quite dirty looking and slimy on mine as well. I haven't had any real issues with the chamber getting overly dirty, but it is, as expected, dirty very quickly up front at the gas piston. After the initial cleaning, the only area where I am really seeing much build up is around the piston area. Mine had some FTF/FTE issues right at first, but that had cleared up by about 120 rounds, and haven't had any more after an addition 500 rds~. I've really enjoyed mine and am hoping to make it to the range this weekend to run a few more through it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome. Sig rifles ship w a residue on them for god only knows why. Sig does test their piston guns so have no fear. All new guns should be cleaned before firing in the name of safety and common sense. I've gotten new stuff from Sig direct that was dirty as hell. Owning 6 piston rifles and 2 piston pistols some run clean some run dirty for a variety of reasons, starting w cheap dirty ammo nuthin wrong w cheap ammo, it just runs dirty. After u clean that thing and run a few hundred rounds through it you ll wanna marry it. It's a great rifle.
Just get familiar w it,rtfm when you can and have fun. There's guys I shoot with that maybe punch their piston gun bore maybe after 1000 rounds... Just to help w accuracy.have fun with it they're great rifles the 516 716 and 516 pistols have been trouble free.
Best regards and congrats!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Welcome from Pa

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Its is possible the rings on the piston are lined up with the openings in line making it easier for gasses to get through. This may or not make a difference.
my 02

welcome to the site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.