1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the SIG forums.
I am also a new SIG owner.

I have always been an avid shooter but a few years ago, I developed a health issue that caused a lot of weakness in my right arm. It made it almost impossible for me to shoot accurately anymore.
After 2 years of PT and lots of icing, I can shoot again. However, when I was a good shooter before, I am not now. It is a perishable skill.

Also, I have to change how I fire rifles. I used to shoot from a bench but now, I need to develop some way to shoot so that my posture is straight. I need to have my neck and head in the same position as though I were firing offhand standing. Yet somehow have that posture while seated. (for long range)
My favorite thing to do was to set clay pigeons in the dirt berms at 400-600 yards at the range and fire at them. I want to do that again.
I am now in search of some way to fire bench rested but still having my neck and back as straight as when I am firing offhand standing.
So I am on that mission.

I am starting back with the basics, a muzzleloader. Getting used to iron sites again. Getting back to just shooting basics. Ranges of 50-100 yards.
Then I walked into a gun store and saw a SIG MPX Pistol. I was hooked immediately. I was trying to figure out how NOT to buy that gun.
Its small and short, I could fire it braced against my arm or just held out in front of me with a fore end grip. I saw so many excuses to buy that gun.
Held out in front of me, using a red dot site, it would do a lot to strengthen my arms as I get back into shooting. (Shooting as a form of PT)! I know.... pretty thin. LOL
I bought the gun.
I have not fired it yet, I plan to this week. I plan to also continue with the muzzleloader and probly a .22 as well.
:)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Welcome from Missouri and congratulations on the Sig MPX. I wish you the best on your return to shooting.

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
I have an older version of the Primos trigger stick, the tri-pod version. They just came out with the "Gen 3" version that is not at all distributors yet, MidWay says, "arriving soon". This could be what you need!

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/primos-trigger-sticks-gen-3/

The older version, as I have in the taller model, goes from 24 to 61 inches. It deploys to length with a simple trigger pull and if held vertical, the legs become "self leveling", stopping when they reach ground or whatever and then locking there when the trigger is released. The stick is light, fast, quiet, and convenient. The older version typically gets 4 stars in reviews - it's Achilles heel is dirt and sand that can gum up the works. This may be improved in the Gen 3 version.

The sticks offer a stable shooting platform, but only supporting the main weight of the gun at one point, it will not offer the pin point accuracy of bags or rests and a proper shooting bench - though it is way the heck better than freehand, and easily holds minute of squirrel etc.

I have an RCBS stand, link below, that is now discontinued. It is only practical to haul by vehicle as it's heavy. Even so, it does not equal the precision of bench rest shooting, though again, good for squirrel and way better than freehand.

RCBS Rapid Acquisition Shooting System (RASS) Shooting Bench

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
Welcome from Florida.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Greetings and welcome to SigTalk from Alaska.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all!

I'm taking the muzzle loader out tomorrow. I had to get the rust out of the barrel. It took some aerocroil and some very light, finest steel wool on a loop. All clean now though.

MKP

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome from Ky, there is no way to "not buy" a sig. An should you find one, keep it to yourself lol. Glad you are able to get back into it, and glad you joined here. Lots of great helpful people here.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Welcome to SIGTalk and to the wonderful world of Sig Sauer!!! CONGRATS on your first SIG!!! ENJOY!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.