SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I purchased a Sig p320 this is my first striker fire doa only no thumb safety pistol. Years ago I had a Ruger P95 this Sig 320 looked similar minus the hammer. I purchased the black one with no top plate. I have a few questions.

1. The pistol is not broken in yet in fact not even fired yet due to ammo shortage. It is hard to rack the slide. Do they loosen up on the sig my rugar was easy to rack new.

2. Given there is no safety is it advisable to conceal carry with a round chambered? This used to be a big no no when I was younger. Can't remember why.

3. Speaking of no nos. I watched a YouTube video where a shooter said it was a bad idea to fire your last round and have the slide lock back. Has anyone else heard of this? Does anyone know why?

4. When replacing a spent clip never insert the clip and simply drop the slide release. Instead pull the slide back press the slide release and release the slide into battery. Is this correct? I used to always put the clip in and hit the slide release one handed no second hand to pull rail.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
1) Yes, the more it cycles, it'll loosen up.
2) All a personal preference... I carry with one in the chamber and no safety.
3) I've never heard that... ever
4) Six of one, half dozen of another
5) They're magazines, not clips

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Welcome from PA..............

Reactions: HODY905

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome.

^ I agree with DwnHomeCntryBoy

Something to add:

3) YouTube video advice might pertain to a competition match, where the time that it takes for a reload is a major factor when the shot timer is running.

4) One school of thought is that when under stress, fine motor control diminishes. Pressing the slide catch lever with one finger might be more challenging, as opposed to using gross motor control to grab the slide to rack/release it and chamber the next round.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Welcome.

^ I agree with DwnHomeCntryBoy

Something to add:

3) YouTube video advice might pertain to a competition match, where the time that it takes for a reload is a major factor when the shot timer is running.

4) One school of thought is that when under stress, fine motor control diminishes. Pressing the slide catch lever with one finger might be more challenging, as opposed to using gross motor control to grab the slide to rack/release it and chamber the next round.
There are other ways of looking at this too. Someone once told me that using the slide release “wears” the slide lock. I thought that was rather scurrious; I have owned a Commander 1911 since 1966, replaced sears and hammers, and never worn out a slide stop pin. In IPSC (where admittedly the slide stop tab was oversized) we always dropped the slide on a fresh magazine using the slide stop.

That said, many modern fighting guns have minuscule slide stops release tabs, making it hard to work. Look at some of the 365’s. One with large mitts like mine would be hard pressed to actuate that tab. So getting a single method of reloading by slingshotting the slide is perhaps a good idea. The caveat is not to ride the slide forward but let it go (one of the advantages of using the slide stop).

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't have a manual safety on any of my SIGs and always carry w/one in the pipe. Always. If I have to defend myself (or someone else), I don't want to waste time racking the slide.

When you reload a mag, tap that slide release lever and go. Worst case scenario is that the slide release lever wears out (although I've never seen that happen). It's an easy part to replace in a P320 and is cheap. I can hit that lever a heck of a lot faster than hand racking the slide and if my other hand is compromised (injury or if I'm fighting someone off), I don't want to be in the habit of having to use it. It's all about muscle memory. BTW, NEVER ride the slide into battery. ALWAYS let it slam closed.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Hi all I purchased a Sig p320 this is my first striker fire doa only no thumb safety pistol. Years ago I had a Ruger P95 this Sig 320 looked similar minus the hammer. I purchased the black one with no top plate. I have a few questions.

1. The pistol is not broken in yet in fact not even fired yet due to ammo shortage. It is hard to rack the slide. Do they loosen up on the sig my rugar was easy to rack new.
It will break in.
Keep it lubed.

2. Given there is no safety is it advisable to conceal carry with a round chambered? This used to be a big no no when I was younger. Can't remember why.
If you choose to carry with no round in the chamber, you may be the one that gets shot if things go bad. Carrying is about readiness.

3. Speaking of no nos. I watched a YouTube video where a shooter said it was a bad idea to fire your last round and have the slide lock back. Has anyone else heard of this? Does anyone know why?
Stop watching this guy's videos immediately.
He should not be giving firearms advice.

4. When replacing a spent clip never insert the clip and simply drop the slide release. Instead pull the slide back press the slide release and release the slide into battery. Is this correct? I used to always put the clip in and hit the slide release one handed no second hand to pull rail.
With my P320 I do it either way.
BTW, it's magazine.
"Clips" were used in WWII
_

·
Registered
166 Posts
I always figured the pistol has ENOuGH safeties:
1. The side of the holster covers the trigger guard preventing something from getting in there and hitting the trigger.
2. The major SAFETY is the one between your ears -

Train with one in the chamber and "Keep yer booger hook off the bang switch!"

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome.
I’m an novice shooter. I agree with the above statements.
My only comment is on # 4
I was told it is okay to load a round in the chamber by releasing the slide catch.
Being that is the normal function of the slide cycle every time the gun is fired.

However if the gun is empty you should release the slide via the slingshot method.
If the gun is not loaded and doesn’t have to chamber a round from the magazine.
Releasing the slide catch allowing the slide to slam closed over time can cause excessive wear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all. I can't wait to get some ammo and get it to the range. I hope the sights are not off. I asked the guy at the gun store and he said it had an adjustable rear sight. If it's adjustable it's not done easily the tool is required if I understand correctly.

Are these things sighted in at all at the factory? Or do they all come with the standard number eight sights?

I actually like the idea of sites that won't move around when holstered or grabbed incorrectly.

I apologize about the clip thing. Too many rap videos in my youth. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that the clips were used as speed loaders way back when and the modern item that we use is called the magazine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What wears / weakens springs is repeated cycling, so yes, the slide will get easier to rack over time.

There are several safeties in the P320, it's just that none of them are external and there's no lever. It is perfectly ok and safe to carry it with a round chambered. Just remember that if the trigger is pulled, the gun will fire. It's no different than carrying any other DA/SA semiauto, or a DA revolver, with a round chambered.

Outside of one or two very specific circumstances (mostly involving competition) that's silly advice. There's nothing wrong with firing until empty and letting the slide lock.

There's nothing wrong with using the slide catch lever to drop the slide after changing magazines. There is a TON of fuddlore around "oh, it's going to wear the slide" or "oh, it'll wear out the catch," or a dozen other things, and all of it is baseless. If you need proof, look at the manual where SIG say that one of the two methods for letting the slide go forward after reloading from empty is to use the slide catch lever.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome from the Holland area in Michigan. Go Blue!

If you watch YouTube a lot look up John Lovell “Warrior Poet” he is a great resource. If you have extra funds he even has a network channel and what I like about the channel is you get access to his Pistol 1,2 & 3 classes and you will learn a ton and it is sound teaching. YouTube is filled with a lot of hacks that do not know much about firearm manipulations but they think they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
All this talk about "wearing". Sigs are warranted for life, right?

So, yes, I am a newbie here on SigTalk, but not "new" to firearms. I am a retired Navy Gunners Mate, previously assigned to a SWCC unit. So, now that I am 'civilianized', I have just purchased a Sig P320XF-9-BXR-RXP.

I've been looking around at holsters. When it comes to my guns, I get kind of touchy-feely in that I want to put my hands on how things work. That is one of the reasons I bought a Sig! No where close to me has any holsters that fit. I'd like to buy two, one leather OWB belt carry with FBI cant and one kydex paddle or QD apparatus.

Any suggestions? Photos would be very appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to know I wasn't doing it wrong this whole time. Lol.

I checked out warrior poet pretty cool stuff.

Now about those number 8 sights. Are they just generic no 8 on all or are they bore sighted by sig?

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
9,001 Posts
Welcome from Georgia.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It's been my experience they come pretty dead on from the factory. I don't think accuracy will be an issue.

·
Registered
423 Posts
mine loosed up nicly after the first day, i recal the first time i shot it it had a few issues that never happened again, like i pulled the slide back and released it sling shot style and it didnt go all the way forward, had to push it closed, had one or two magazine feed issues but by day two all was perfect., probable just needed to get wet and exercised, now its smooth and issue-free.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts