SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Walked into a local gun shop and saw this '91-manufacture West German-stamped P226 9mm. Price tag- $449

Took it down and thought the barrel was rather worn. Told the guy at the counter that it was going to cost a bit to get a new barrel and was able to get him down to $349. Of course, I have a spare barrel at the house. Dropped the $349 + tax and walked out the door.

I am a guest firearms instructor at the state police academy this week and went right back to the range to shoot it at lunch. With the barrel I thought was well worn, a bunch of us were shooting excellent groups between 7 and 25 yards.

I don't know much about the older Sigs. What can you tell me about it?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,304 Posts
BklynIrish, congratulations on your acquisition. It appears to have an Electroless Nickeled slide. Some others my chime in, but I'm not sure that was produced that way, or not. A call to Sig with the serial number might shed some light on whether that was a factory, or a distributor applied finish. I know it has been discussed here before. A judicious cleaning of the barrel may be in order, just don't use any stainless brushes. It would take a lot of rounds to shoot out a barrel, far less of an effort with reckless cleaning practices.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>>It would take a lot of rounds to shoot out a barrel<<

Indeed....I don't know that I've ever seen one.

Sure as hell looks like it, especially one compared to a new Barrel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Whoa!!! That gun is beautiful. Nice score. The trigger is probably not original, but that's no biggie.
What trigger could it be?

The action and trigger are butter smooth, perhaps even more so than my guns with the Action Enhancement Package from the Sig Custom Shop.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I can tell you is I hate you for getting that sweet SIG at such a great price. And I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
Now I have W. German, German, and US manufactured P226s.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ever consider playing the lottery? With luck like that it might be worthwhile...

As far as a 'shot-out' barrel, I have a 1988 era p226 with close to 40,000 rounds thru it - although I've replaced springs, extractor and takedown lever, the barrel is original. Sig recommends a barrel replacement only "If the pistol exhibits keyholing or unacceptable accuracy".
I have a friend who ran one more than 120,000 rounds before he bought a new barrel, so I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what was the reason the barrel appeared to be shot out??

congratulations:

bblr: short trigger on the prototype 229 & i have an ab17xxx 229 with original short trigger.

It has the least pronounced rifling that I have ever seen in one of their nine millimeter pistols. We even compared it to other Sig nine millimeter pistols on display. Fortunately, it shot better than it looked.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It has the least pronounced rifling that I have ever seen in one of their nine millimeter pistols. We even compared it to other Sig nine millimeter pistols on display. Fortunately, it shot better than it looked.
I know what he's talking about, the rifling on new Sig barrels are a LOT more noticeable than on the older/shot a lot barrels. Glad to hear they just look worn and are GTG

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.