SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
INTRODUCTION

The P239 is one of those guns I've always kinda been scouting... but never actually drafted. I guess something else just always seemed more interesting at the time. Plus, it's kind of big for a carry gun. It's kind of small for a duty gun. And it's not especially unique or rare or historical. Or affordable.

Yet, I now own one. And I traded away a perfectly good HK P2000SK (plus a little cash) to get it.

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun Technology Electronic device Tire Auto part Helmet

It's an early model, from what I can tell. Gray (black?) Sigarms box, with the old-school manual that covers like 6 or 7 P-Series models. Serial number is SA-28426 (I'm thinking 1996 or 1997 based on other serials I referenced online). Externally, the condition is pretty much LNIB. Frame rails show the obligatory silver streak toward the rear/right...

...and some minor flecks toward the front. Barrel markings suggest it's been shot some, but not a ton. Interestingly, it had a plastic guide rod (anyone know what years Sig ran plastic rods in 239's?). I promptly replaced the stock rod with a metal one from TGS, along with a new spring. More on that later...

SHOOTING, PART I

Perfect size. Perfect feel. Perfect heft. Great trigger. Feels extremely solid and well made. Holds 1.5 inch groups at 10 yards--simply more "intuitively accurate" than my HK. I was loving it... until I had a failure to extract about 70 rounds in: Spent case left in the chamber, fresh round fed into the back of it. Was shooting cheap 115gr range ammo (reman). But still pretty disappointing.

I looked at the extractor... firm, but movable with some effort; I hadn't lubed it though. And the pistol was bone dry when I got it. Coulda been part of the problem. And I did notice one thing: when riding the slide closed, it "hangs" just short of battery...

Handgun holster Airsoft gun Airsoft

I actually checked a brand new P239 (.40) at my local gun shop and it did the same exact thing. It's a non-issue, though, as long you have some spring velocity driving the slide. Anybody else experience this with a P239?

Also, the slide to frame fit is very tight--which is surprising because a lot of what I've read (and experienced) suggests the 239 is a pretty loose-fitting gun. I shot one a while back that rattled like a bucket of bolts; loosest slide-to-frame fit I think I've ever seen (thing was crazy accurate, though; which is what got me interested). Any insight on this? Maybe the older ones are built tighter? Maybe it'll loosen up?

SHOOTING, PART II

So I decided to give it another shot (haha)--this time with the stock spring and plastic rod. Long story short: 170 rounds, no issues at all. Shot slow. Shot fast. Intentionally limp-wristed toward the end. Nothing. Same ammo I shot last time.

Another thing I noticed... I can sort of "feel" the slide returning to battery between shots. Like, it's just finishing chambering the round, as it's recoiling in hand. I actually noticed this in my P245 as well (since I was paying attention). Normal for Sigs? Not sure I noticed it with my P6. Not sure it matters.

CONCLUSION

So... why did I decide to trade my HK (which, I might add, never jammed in 2000 rounds) on a 239? I shot a 239 a while back and recently acquired a P245. For me, it was pretty clear that I just shoot Sigs better... figured it was time to make the switch.

Bottom line: I really like the gun. Love the way it shoots. Grip feels like it was made for my (teenage girl sized) hands. And I actually like the size for carry. Slimmer than the P2000, so it's more comfortable IWB (so is the P245, for that matter).

Is it reliable? Seems promising. Not sure what caused the FTE... New spring too tight? Out-of-spec round? Un-lubed extractor? Maybe it just isn't broken in enough (though that would be odd for a used pistol). I don't have much patience for guns that jam. Too many other options out there run just about any ammo (within reason) and I expect no less from this 239.

For now, I will continue to carry my P245 until I get a few more rounds through the 239. I'll let you know how it goes.

In any case, I appreciate you checking out my review. My first thread here, actually. Let me know what you think, and if you have any insight to share... please do. Happy to answer any questions if I can.

Thanks a lot,

Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Welcome from WV and thanks for an excellent review!

I carry a 239 SAS Gen 2 daily in a SGUSA AIWB. Wonderfully comfortable and awesomely accurate! I keep being amazed by this incredible shooter!

Sharing your joy!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Haha. Yes. Welcome to my laboratory... I wouldn't mind trying 357 sig. Thanks.
That was a really great review. Very specific, that's why I made the joke about being a "Scientist". Any Sig is wonderful, but the 239 may be the best CCW made.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
479 Posts
A couple of things:
1. What did you do to prior to firing it in part 1? (cleaning, lubrication, etc.).
2. The picture you have of the front of the pistol doesn't look normal to me at all. The guide rod seems to be protruding, it should be flush (at least mine is...) I think but mine is a 2014 model.
3. What recoil spring did you replace with? Was it a SIG genuine replacement spring, or a 3rd party?
4. The picture of the top of the frame, and the rail wear shows that either the pistol was not properly lubricated during its long life, OR, has several tens of thousands of rounds on it. But either way, it should run like a champ.
5. Did you inspect the shell casing that was stuck in the chamber? What did you see? For example of the very few stoppages on mine, one was with reman ammo, and there was a burr on the casing. I determined to was like that out of the box after inspecting my barrel and chamber as being smooth.
6. What is your lubrication process/technique going forward, and for our P245?

For reference, just last week my P239 crossed the 5000 round mark. Pics are here: P239 @ 5000 rounds - Minus

P239 is my go to EDC, IWB. I shoot it lights out better than my Nano (summer carry).

Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A couple of things:
1. What did you do to prior to firing it in part 1? (cleaning, lubrication, etc.).
2. The picture you have of the front of the pistol doesn't look normal to me at all. The guide rod seems to be protruding, it should be flush (at least mine is...) I think but mine is a 2014 model.
3. What recoil spring did you replace with? Was it a SIG genuine replacement spring, or a 3rd party?
4. The picture of the top of the frame, and the rail wear shows that either the pistol was not properly lubricated during its long life, OR, has several tens of thousands of rounds on it. But either way, it should run like a champ.
5. Did you inspect the shell casing that was stuck in the chamber? What did you see? For example of the very few stoppages on mine, one was with reman ammo, and there was a burr on the casing. I determined to was like that out of the box after inspecting my barrel and chamber as being smooth.
6. What is your lubrication process/technique going forward, and for our P245?

For reference, just last week my P239 crossed the 5000 round mark. Pics are here: P239 @ 5000 rounds - Minus

P239 is my go to EDC, IWB. I shoot it lights out better than my Nano (summer carry).

Welcome to the club.
Thanks for the feedback...

1. I cleaned the pistol and lubed the rails with a little oil and grease (the Milcom TB25 stuff). Lubed the barrel/lugs with oil--just not the extractor.

2. Yes, the guide rod is protruding. That's what happens when I ride the slide closed--it stops about about 1/8 - 1/16 of an inch out of battery. Not an issue if you slingshot/use the slide release... fully returns to battery.

3. I bought the factory spring (for a P239) from Top Gun Supply... and the metal rod. TGS spring is running in my P245 just fine.

4. Yeah, sorry about that... most of the "white" is the Milcomm grease. Here's what it looks like with the grease stripped: Material property Hand Leather Shoe Just a hair of a silver streak in the groove.

5. No, I didn't check the casing--should have. I was just kind of irritated at that point, and chucked it. Very well could have been a problem with the round... just didn't check it. Though, I will say I've had pretty good luck with reman in general.

6. Generally, I lube the entire pistol with oil, then a few dabs of Milcomm in the rail grooves. Purely grease on the rails, I find, isn't quite as slick as oil; I figure a little bit of both makes sense. Seems to work for the 245.

Anyway, thanks again for your input. Your 239 looks great, btw. Hardly any wear on the rails after 5000 rounds... cool grips, too. Any tips or thoughts on lube/maintenance?

Matt

·
Registered
479 Posts
Oh Jeez! Careful asking for advice on lubrication here, :cool: 25 page thread warning.

I'm about the same as you. I found TW25b to be too thin. I believe it is NLGI Grade 0 (very thin). I switched to Lubriplate SFL-1, and you guessed it, the 1 stands for NLGI Grade 1 (thin). It is cheap, and food machinery grade, so non-toxic. I just use that on the rails, and I use oil on the barrel plus lugs, and also inside of the slide. I've settled on MPro7 LPX. Made for hot AR's, it stays wet AND stays put (doesn't weep all over the place). Not rocket science I know, but I wipe the pistol with a paper towel (gasp!), then lube it up prior to each range trip. Clean with Ballistol after every 300-500 rounds.

Enjoy.

Reactions: MattyD380

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha. Yeah, seems like everyone's got their secret sauce these days. But you must be doing something right--pistol looks awesome. Thanks for the tips... I'll look into those products.

Matt

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I carry a 239 SAS Gen 2 daily in a SGUSA AIWB. Wonderfully comfortable and awesomely accurate! I keep being amazed by this incredible shooter!

Sharing your joy!
Thanks, Aslan. Good to be here...

·
Registered
56,192 Posts
Thanks for the feedback...

1. I cleaned the pistol and lubed the rails with a little oil and grease (the Milcom TB25 stuff). Lubed the barrel/lugs with oil--just not the extractor.

2. Yes, the guide rod is protruding. That's what happens when I ride the slide closed--it stops about about 1/8 - 1/16 of an inch out of battery. Not an issue if you slingshot/use the slide release... fully returns to battery.

3. I bought the factory spring (for a P239) from Top Gun Supply... and the metal rod. TGS spring is running in my P245 just fine.

4. Yeah, sorry about that... most of the "white" is the Milcomm grease. Here's what it looks like with the grease stripped: View attachment 26099 Just a hair of a silver streak in the groove.

5. No, I didn't check the casing--should have. I was just kind of irritated at that point, and chucked it. Very well could have been a problem with the round... just didn't check it. Though, I will say I've had pretty good luck with reman in general.

6. Generally, I lube the entire pistol with oil, then a few dabs of Milcomm in the rail grooves. Purely grease on the rails, I find, isn't quite as slick as oil; I figure a little bit of both makes sense. Seems to work for the 245.

Anyway, thanks again for your input. Your 239 looks great, btw. Hardly any wear on the rails after 5000 rounds... cool grips, too. Any tips or thoughts on lube/maintenance?

Matt
don't ride the slide!!!:cool:

·
Retired Super Moderator
16,799 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your 239. It's a great shooting pistol, I have one myself.
I don't carry mine as I find it to be what I call my Tweener gun. It's 'tween my 220 Compact and my 224 for carry use.

Thanks for your report.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Welcome to the forum Matty . I'm another P239 fan, but I'm a fan of most Sig pistols :) Be warned though that they're addictive. (2022 begat 220 begat 229 begat 239...)Once you have one, you'll "need" more! Again, Welcome!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Welcome to your new P239.... Its a joy to shoot.... I daily carry my P239SAS and tend to leave my other guns at home when I go to the range. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Congrats on your P239. The P239 is one of those "guns I will never get rid of". Welcome to Sig Talk from Indiana!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

Sharing your joy!
Mr Asian, I like your responses. I have noticed that you and I have similar tastes and opinions about SIG SAUER weapons!

Reactions: Aslan

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
... For reference, just last week my P239 crossed the 5000 round mark. Pics are here...
Beautiful gun for 5,000 rounds. No smileys on the barrel? How were you able to manage that? I need to follow your lube method.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for checking out my review, guys. Appreciate the comments. Planning on putting some more rounds through her this weekend... I'll let you know how it goes.

Matt

·
Registered
479 Posts
Beautiful gun for 5,000 rounds. No smileys on the barrel? How were you able to manage that? I need to follow your lube method.
MPro-7 LPX oil on the barrel and lugs prior to each range trip.

Also, NLGI Grade 1 grease on the rails. I use Lubriplate SFL-1.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts