SIG Talk banner

New to me p229

790 11
Good day, folks,

I wandered into my local shop today and saw a beautiful p229 in .40 sitting in the case with a $500 price tag on it. I've always wanted to own a Sig but the price has been prohibitive. This particular one is an older model, no rail underneath and the case and manual it has with it both scream early 90's nostalgia.

I have two questions about this gun. First, can i use the new E2 grips on this older model? Stock it fills my hand quite nicely but I think I'd like to get the front to back distance down a bit.

Second question, threaded barrel? I've been looking all over and can only seem to find the 9mm barrel in the suppressor accepting variety. Is there's something I'm missing that makes this set up a poor choice for a can or do I just need to go the custom rout?
Reactions: bearone2
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
As far as I know (from what I've read here, not experienced myself), the E2 grips will work. Someone will chime in if I'm wrong. Or, you could get some aluminum grips, which are much thinner.
Have you contacted Sig directly about a threaded barrel? I'm not seeing any online, either. Going straight to the horse is probably the most sure route.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, hodge, I'll definitely look into the AL grips. I read on a few different sites that Sig never made a factory threaded barrel for the p229 in .40 or .357sig. Not sure what the reasoning is behind that though.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Nice, I prefer the rail-less myself. On the E2's, you will probably have the change out the mainspring base or base and spring. I haven't needed it on any of mine but have seen the kits for E2s.
A few years ago I saw threaded 40 Sig barrels but not for some time, they now seem to be in 9 and 45.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,062 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Welcome from Texas and congrats on one of SIG's finests.
I think the reason that SIG doesn't offer any threaded barrels for .40/.357 is that those calibers propel the bullet to supersonic speed. 9mm and .45 on the other side can be loaded to subsonic bullet speed which makes it easier to suppress the muzzle report better. Anyhow, if you get a threaded barrel in .40 to put a can on for HD use it will suppress the muzzle report at least a bit. A 9mm or .45 would be much quieter so you might want to think about getting a threaded 9mm conversion barrel and some P229-1 magazines for that application. Either way you got yourself a nice pistol for a decent price.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Actually, a suppressor on the the 40 is quite effective when used with 180 grain bullets, as that drops velocity down to near or below supersonic. I reload 180 and use that for practice as well. Congrats on one of SIG's very finest models (and my personal favorite of them all!).

Nightstand gun, barrel is BarSto, suppressor is Osprey (Silencerco):

·
Registered
297 Posts
welcome from bay area CA!
229 is fun, more funner in .357 :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.