SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

New to me P228 and some lessons learned!

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  MoRivera 
#1 ·
Last Thursday I purchased a used 1998 P228, the proper kind, stamped slide goodness! So I can't leave anything alone so I ordered a SRT trigger and Grey Guns master spring set. The SRT arrived Monday and I took the gun apart and installed the parts. In the process I destroyed two springs. I learned two things. 1. don't force anything 2. Take pictures of what it looks like together! I destroyed the hammer reset spring by letting the hammer go too far forward with the sear assembly out then forcing it back and bending the hammer spring leg downward. I also because of the lack of pictures placed the curved leg of the trigger bar spring into the hole in the trigger bar and not in the notch underneath it! Whatever you do, don't do that! Haha it was impossible to get out without deforming it. So it now all sits in a ziplock bag in my safe. Parts should arrive tomorrow and Thursday. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way. I am what I would call mechanically inclined. I do engineering and was a machinist before that. This was a frustrating lesson for me, but hey! Now I know my way around a P-series Sig!

Here's a pic I took before I exploded it into a ziplock bag. Haha

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
At least they were relatively inexpensive springs... congratulations will "only" be in order, after the successful "function check"!! Lol...

#4 ·
Been taking things apart and putting them back together since I was like 12. I have screwed up my fair share of ****, but you pegged it;

- Never force it (typically if you are you are doing it wrong)
- Always lay out parts on a fresh white paper/cloth so you will remember how they go back. I like paper cause I like to make notes on special "how it looked"
- Take pictures
- Bag everything you clean

Remember too;
- Tools will always fall to the most difficult place to reach to get them back.
- Springs fly into black holes
- Buy 3 of every small part, so when you lose the first 2 you don't care (then buy 3 more).
- Break the most fragile part first. It typically takes the longest to order in.

#8 ·
Last Thursday I purchased a used 1998 P228, the proper kind, stamped slide goodness! So I can't leave anything alone so I ordered a SRT trigger and Grey Guns master spring set. The SRT arrived Monday and I took the gun apart and installed the parts. In the process I destroyed two springs. I learned two things. 1. don't force anything 2. Take pictures of what it looks like together! I destroyed the hammer reset spring by letting the hammer go too far forward with the sear assembly out then forcing it back and bending the hammer spring leg downward. I also because of the lack of pictures placed the curved leg of the trigger bar spring into the hole in the trigger bar and not in the notch underneath it! Whatever you do, don't do that! Haha it was impossible to get out without deforming it. So it now all sits in a ziplock bag in my safe. Parts should arrive tomorrow and Thursday. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way. I am what I would call mechanically inclined. I do engineering and was a machinist before that. This was a frustrating lesson for me, but hey! Now I know my way around a P-series Sig!

Here's a pic I took before I exploded it into a ziplock bag. Haha
I did this once and ran with it for a while. I didn’t realize it until I tried to change grips on one of my P226’s. I had been running E2 grips for a while and a few months ago I put wood grips on it. With the wood grips trigger spring was catching on the grip and the trigger wasn’t resetting. I couldn’t figure out why until I looked closer and the trigger return spring was in the hole in the trigger bar. I dont think all of my trigger bars even have that hole. I spend 10 minutes fiddling with it to get it out and ended up deforming the spring. With the E2 grips it functioned fine, maybe a little excessive spring tension if anything.

#11 ·
Good rule of thumb when assembling/disassembling a SIG... force is never required (except for the hammers strut spring and guide rod spring). If something is bound up or won't go into position, something else is out of position and blocking it.

#12 ·
The good news is that most of the parts are interchangeable between P-series platforms.

Make sure that you order the appropriate springs/parts for your generation unless you update to the newer trigger bar spring and hammer strut assembly system.

Also, have extra grip screws. Those can get marred easily and you'll hate the sight of them.

If you can find it, order the internal extractor. Also, P-Shims sold by a member of the other forum help to protect your finish around the decocker.

#13 ·
The necessary parts to put it all back together and functional came today and I successfully installed them and it all works like it should!! I am happy again. Tomorrow the Gray Guns master spring set will be here and I will Install them in the future. I may go ahead and change the mainspring and sear spring. The SRT is a huge improvement. I am going to save that process for when the new inner and outer roll pins arrive. I also want to go buy the appropriate punch to remove and install them. Any tips for that? I know to go right to left and reverse to re install and mask the slide. Any others? punch size?

oh yeah, I ordered some hex grip screws as well. I can't stand the look of marred up slot screws!

#14 ·
#15 ·
Congratulations on the P228 ...you will LOVE this one. I EDC OC a German P228 and last Summer it went back to SIG for the 'Complete Package'. SRT, Action Enhancement, FULL Service, and new Night Sights ....I highly recommend these services.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.