SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lobbying the powers that be at SIG, and some other gun manufacturers willing to listen, to implement a new published pistol specification called "Grip Circumference".

It's defined as ... "The measurement of the circumference of the grip at the smallest and highest point where the thumb and middle finger typically touch or wrap when holding the gun properly in your shooting hand."

How many times have you ordered a gun "hoping" the grips worked for you. For me at least, the answer is "often". It sure would be nice to "know" that the grip will be the right size for you, taking one important variable out of the mix when ordering a gun online, or at auction, or in a remote transaction of any kind.

Am I the only guy on the planet that thinks this is a good idea in our "All Sales Are Final" gun-buying world?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I like the idea, but wish you good luck getting it implemented. Most firearms manufactures are unable to keep their current website info current, or accurate, when it comes to specs such as weight, width, etc. But I do think it would really help in selecting a hand gun once you knew your particular hand size. Good luck!

·
Registered
17,748 Posts
Unfortunately, with grips being the varying shapes they are, with the exception of 1911 grips, there's much more to it than circumference for me.

The only way I can tell is to actually grip the individual gun.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I'm lobbying the powers that be at SIG, and some other gun manufacturers willing to listen, to implement a new published pistol specification called "Grip Circumference".

It's defined as ... "The measurement of the circumference of the grip at the smallest and highest point where the thumb and middle finger typically touch or wrap when holding the gun properly in your shooting hand
While this measurement might be useful in determining how the grip would feel at the top of your grip and how it might affect your trigger reach, I think it ignores an important component in how the grip feels in the palm of the hand. I believe that part is the part of the grip that most feel affects how thin or thick a grip feels and is difficult to consistently measure and compare between different grips.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wish I could hold every gun before I buy.

I don't order a gun without seeing how it feels in hand, problem solved.
Nice idea, if you happen to live in or near a city with a lot of gun stores that carry what you want. I have found very few Sigs within 50 miles in either places that sell guns or places that rent them. Even a recent arena gun show had few Sigs.

I recently thought I'd get a P225-A1. I found a store/indoor range that advertised the P225-A1. I drove the 35 miles to get there. Once I did, I found they did not have any locally, only "at their online distributor." Not much help there.

So, my next choice was to read lots of reviews and lots of feedback on Sigtalk. As good as holding one? Of course not, but trusting these sources was good enough for me. I bought my P225-A1 from a seller on Gunbroker, and I paid $200 less than the local place (with their online distributor) wanted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts