Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously considering buying one.
Just wandering what the recoil is like.
I want the 11.5"
Thanx

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The answer to your question depends on whether the MCX will be a short barreled rifle or a pistol with an arm brace. Muzzle blast and flash are likely to be more of an issue than recoil due to the short barrel, but both blast and recoil are somewhat subjective.

Bill

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Thanx Bill. It will be a pistol with arm brace.
Good choice; I hate the obsolete NFA and hope it gets modernized so you can later add a stock without all the Federal red tape.

My MCX is a 16 inch bbl rifle. It's a soft shooter, but the 11.5 inch barrel will have a slightly larger gas port. Hence the recoil impulse will be slightly different.

My advice is to try one before you buy, because of the subjective nature of the decision.

Bill

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx Bill. I truly appreciate this info.
I would absolutely love to try one. I need to find a range that may have one. Somethin tells me thats gonna be about impossible.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
A member that owns one that lives near you would be your best bet.

I forgot to add that my MCX has a scope mounted with a tripod up front. Hence the weight soaks up the recoil.

With an MCX pistol, sighting devices would be on my mind. I have Aimpoint Pros on both of my MPXs and may change the Pro to a Trijicon MRO on the pistol and leave the Pro on the carbine.

Bill

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good stuff Bill.....thank you.
I'll look for someone that may have an mcx.
And a scope 4 sure.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
My 1st short barrel AR was a 10" SIG P516. After running this gun as a pistol for a year or so, it's now a SBR usually run with her suppressor.

My pistol experiences were greatly influenced with what muzzle devise was mounted and the specific ammo loaded. Everyone's different, but recoil usually isn't an issue with 5.56 or 223 ammo running a shouldered rifle.

Holding a 10" pistol on my cheek was a little more uncomfortable though, particularly running full NATO 5.56 with the stock muzzle flash hider. The recoil was much deminished after switching to a muzzle brake, but the blast and fireball became annoying. Especially, for those guys standing next to me in a rifle class!

An 11.5" barrel pistol is probably easier to live with than my 10". Am sure you'll enjoy a pistol version .. And there's always the options to changes the setup to something different too!

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts