SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new SIG 556R from my FFL. Mfg in March 2013. After unpacking, I noticed the barrel does not have a flash suppressor! It is straight without a hump at the end, and not threaded. The box had never been opened. Every picture I saw of this rifle, showed a flash suppressor. Could I have missed something? Is it possible SIG put the wrong barrel on this one?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Now I am curious.
Did you buy the gun on-line? Was there a description of the gun?
Sounds like something was missed in the transaction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called Sig Sauer customer service this morning and they said the rifle was shipped without a threaded barrel and it would cost about $400 to attach a flash suppressor because they have to drill through the gas block. In any case this was purchased NIB from a dealer in Oklahoma City, OK. The ad for the SIG 556R showed a stock picture with the suppressor, and the ad did not say that this one did not have one. So I've contacted the dealer to see if this can't be exchanged or refunded. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hey Reno, I sure hope the seller makes it Right for you. You have to be real careful when making an on-line purchase these days.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've seen a couple of them like that in gun stores. I can only assume Sig wants to charge extra to add it later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New sig 556r without flash suppressor

I just picked one up from an online source in TX. Without a flash hider as well. It is crowned like a hunting or target rifle. Kinda funny looking on a tactical rifle. The pictures from the purchase hid it well, and the ad definitely did not say anything about not having a flash hider. Every factory picture I had ever seen had one in the picture. I think that Sig needs to have this variant on their website if they are going to manufacture it, so the buyers will know. I researched this purchase over a year and was quite disappointed when I opened the box, now I fear I am stuck with it OR must try and fool some one else, neither of which is really acceptable. BUYER BEWARE!

·
Banned
811 Posts
I was wondering,if they wont exchange it, I dont think it would be too bad to thread it and put one on, would it? I have some Saiga's and a lot of my buds put brakes and flash hiders on them.It was a tad tuffer being that they had to peel a steel band that is crimped around the FSB,from there some are threaded and some arent but you dont know until you remove the band. Well those who didnt have the threads went on to thread their barrels, they claimed it was a breeze. I know you hate to have to add something but it might be worth it if the rifle is a hard item to find and considering the atmosphere lately, you just might want to keep her even if it cost a few bucks to get it right or to where its to your liking..

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I sure hope that Sig is not trying to use this tactic to make a few more pennies off of their AR type rifles. They shouldn't send these rifles to any other state than the ones that require it or unless it is a special order. Sig needs to be as loyal to their customers as the customers are to them! Keep the faith! What do you think?

·
Banned
811 Posts
what state compliant model are they? Do they have bullet buttons and smaller cap mags?or just a flash suppressor removal ?.Im not up all the diff.state regs on black rifles other than the Nazi regimes of CA,NY. Maybe just a production oversight with all the madness of supply and demand,Im not understanding why the gas block has to be machined as a poster stated? Im no expert so I dont know why, it just seems that you would vise it and thread the end of the barrel and install crush washer and brake or F/S and be done with it, but as i mentioned no expert,just old shooter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think this as much of a sig issue as some of you think. Lots of companies make bull barrels and non threaded barrels for state compliant rifles. Sounds like either the dealers who sold these are trying to screw people or the buyer didn't pay enough attention to what they were buying. To the poster that said sig shouldn't ship these to states that don't require that sort of compliance, that's on the distributor that sig sold them to.

Edit: If you go to the sig website go to state compliant rifles then MA & NJ compliant you'll see all the rifles there have non threaded barrels. I think what you guys got is the 556 version. Like I said in my earlier post, if you want to add a flash hider/comp/or brake, call ADCO firearms you'll get your barrel threaded and ready for your choice of muzzle device for less than $100 and it will be back at your door in about a week.

·
Registered
601 Posts
he already explained what the deal was i love it when we keep responding with ideas of "why" and how sig might be screwing over people..etc. not the case just state compliant weapon like many said already :)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I don't think this as much of a sig issue as some of you think. Lots of companies make bull barrels and non threaded barrels for state compliant rifles. Sounds like either the dealers who sold these are trying to screw people or the buyer didn't pay enough attention to what they were buying. To the poster that said sig shouldn't ship these to states that don't require that sort of compliance, that's on the distributor that sig sold them to.

Edit: If you go to the sig website go to state compliant rifles then MA & NJ compliant you'll see all the rifles there have non threaded barrels. I think what you guys got is the 556 version. Like I said in my earlier post, if you want to add a flash hider/comp/or brake, call ADCO firearms you'll get your barrel threaded and ready for your choice of muzzle device for less than $100 and it will be back at your door in about a week.
I agree that in the end, it is the responsibility of the buyer to make sure he is getting what he wants and is paying for, but ...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Like others have pointed out, you purchased a nazi state compliant model. It's not a ploy from SIG to extract more money from you. If you go to the SIG website, you'll see that they have "state compliant" versions of some rifles. So again, SIG has nothing to do with it. I live in NJ and all ARs come like this from factory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sig 556R Non-Threaded Barrel

I also purchased a Sig 556R with a Non-Threaded Barrel.

I called Sig Sauer Customer Service and they informed me that the Sig 556R Hunter was discontinued and they had several Non-Threaded Barrels remaining. So they did a special run of the 556R and used up the remaining Non-Threaded Barrels.

They also stated that they informed dealers to specify the barrels are Non-Threaded but realize most dealers are not telling customers. To remedy the dissatisfied customers they are offering for customers to send in their rifles and they will swap out the Non-Threaded barrels for Threaded Barrels with Flash Suppressors for $89 + shipping.

I sent my rifle out to Sig Sauer about 1.5 weeks ago. it arrived there on Wednesday, May 15th. They said it will take 2-3 weeks upon receipt of the rifle. Here is my order information:

$28 Round Trip Shipping from Phoenix
$299 Installation of Quad Rail (to make it a Sig 556R Swat)
$89 Replacement of Non-Threaded Barrel to Threaded Barrel with Flash Suppressor

I will let you know when I get my rifle back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sig 556R Non-Threaded Barrel is Not a State-Compliant Rifle

See reply above for why Sig issued this version.

According to Sig Sauer Customer Service, it is not a State Compliant Rifle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sig 556R Update

I spoke with Sig Sauer Customer Service today.

My Sig 556R arrived at Sig Sauer on 05/15/13. They have replaced the Quad Rail, Barrel, Gas Block & Flash Suppressor and it is being shipped out today on 05/20/13. They even provided the FedEx tracking number.

I should receive it in about 1 week. Upon receipt, I will post before & after pictures of my rifle.

I am traveling Monday, May 27-> Thursday, May 30. So I will likely post pictures up on Friday, May 31.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts