Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Update 8/17/15

Installed the Magpul Enchanced Trigger Guard. I used the OEM roll pin as the one provided by Magpul was a hair oversized and difficult to start.

Returned the BADASS Ambi Selector and replaced with the Ares Amour Gavel 55 Degree Ambi Safety mentioned previously.

The Surefire SFMB-556 makes a massive difference it recoil management. Rapid, follow-up shots were a breeze and definitely a pleasure to shoot. The issue is I ran out of rounds too quickly :(

In the photos below, you can also see a close up of the Sig inherent extended bolt catch lever, the Odinworks XMR Extended Magazine Release, and the Norgon Ambi Magazine Release upgrade.

Safety Configuration

Safe: I had it set to 15 degrees on the left side as the inherent QD cup on the Sig lower got in the way of a comfortable grip requiring a bit more work to manipulate the safety when using the FRS stock. I will be using my thumb to manipulate.

Left Side

Right Side

Fire: I set the right side controls to return the weapon to safe using my index finger as my thumb would not be able to reach the left side lever using the FRS stock. As you will see below, I have it set forward so that it does not interfere with my trigger finger.

Right Side

Left Side

I didn't provide it before so here are photos of the new recently released Magpul MBUS PRO LR (Long Range) rear sight and sight picture. You will notice the 200-600 meter preset wheel with 50 meter increments. I have yet to test the longer distances, but I am zeroed at 50/200 meters so in theory the presets should be accurate at the other distances.

Small Aperature (Long Range)

Large Aperature (CQB or low light)

Sight picture. The MBUS front sight has not changed so you would compare this sight picture against the standard MBUS Pro rear or other sights in your possession.

Small Aperature (Long Range)

Large Aperature (CQB or low light)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just noticed that I didn't show the zero target used from AR15.com.

You can find the iron sight zeroing target here:
Improved 25M AR15A2 / A3 / A4 & AR15 Carbine Zero Targets - Calibrated for 50/200M, 100M, 300M

I think I'll transfer the Primary Arms 30mm red dot that I currently have on my Sig 556 to see how it runs. I'll use the red dot zeroing targets here:
UPDATED: Zero Targets Optimized for Red Dot Style Optics (Aimpoint, EOTech, etc...) AR-15 & AK-47

You can't see the reactive target that was stuck on at the top of IDPA target. I tested that one at 50 yards and had a good triangulated group. To test further, I let an older friend shoot at the same target and although he couldn't see as well as I could, his grouping was also consistent at 50.

I'll take a photo of it tomorrow. It's in my trunk right now. Ignore the holes on the cardboard, it was an old IDPA target I used as a backing.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Alright, I took the dog out for a walk then grabbed the target on the way in. . . I need to point out that we could not see the red center of the reactive target at 50 yards. All we could see was black and aimed for the center. The deviation is likely due to our human abilities, but none-the-less the groupings are consistent.

Here's the older guy's target at 50 yards with iron sights. He took 4 shots because we couldn't see where the first shot went from 50 yards. When we brought it in, we realized it was a smidge left of the rest of his grouping.

If you look closely, there are two reactive targets there; mine was the first target and his was the 2nd target placed over mine. I tried to peel back the older gentleman's target, but it was bonded to my target. To prove that there were two, I left the reactive target half peeled to show the relation between the the reactive target holes and the holes in the IDPA target. This was my 3 shot grouping at 50 yards with iron sights. You can faintly see the red center of the target in the peeled away reactive target. I was a tad high.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
VLTOR CASV Handguard Modificaiton Update

Ok, considering that the 516's railed gasblock was interfering with the VLTOR and preventing it from locking all the way, I modified the handguard further to make room for the gasblock. This allowed me to use flip-up BUIS for normal AR's so I ditched the HK sights. When folded, the sights are flush with the elevated rail from the VLTOR CASV and since the raised section was present, I used a low mount on the Bushnell TRS-25 to achieve a lower 1/3 co-witness. I am pleased with the results.

Note that the BUIS and ambi charging handle are from the newest versions of the 516. Sig did well to utilize Samson sights and the ambi parts.

The hanguard completely clears the bayonet lug and allows the CASV to completely lock into place. It is essentially a free-floated handguard now. Best of all, I have a longer grip placement and do not need to remove the handguard to service the piston rod. Plus, I didn't need to spend $250-300 for the Lancer CF extended.

I haven't test fired since this modification, but I did spend some time with two of my other favorite piston rifles. True, long-stroke piston operated goodness.

The FAL was a blast to shoot as always. I had forgotten how light the Sig 556's trigger was. I have a bunch of MFI parts and a 551 lower that I need to install on this gal to give it a more true Swiss feel.

The 556 also went through an update. See thread:

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-rifles...ss-sans-journey-mfi-upgrades.html#post1735082

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I reviewed the articles and one of them noted felony DV, which is 273.5 PC. It is a mandatory arrest where the officers are charged with taking the primary aggressor. This charge is applied when a traumatic injury is found on the victim as a direct result of the domestic battery.

Regardless, the DV charge alone with issue a Domestic Violence Restraining Order (DVRO) and bar the accused from possessing firearms for some time.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
So what’s the deal, the 516 is totally illegal in Commiefornia now? I thought their versions just need to be registered? Either way, they let their state turn into a soviet republic, no sympathies. Time for President Trump to send troops in to liberate.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So what’s the deal, the 516 is totally illegal in Commiefornia now? I thought their versions just need to be registered? Either way, they let their state turn into a soviet republic, no sympathies. Time for President Trump to send troops in to liberate.

No, it's legal under specific configurations. It's not the 516 specifically. The 49er's idiot did a lot of things wrong. SBR's are illegal in CA specifically, well, pretty much because a CLEO will never authorize it.

The article was just terrible journalism with an anti-gun agenda.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I just noticed you had HK sights. How did you like them as a set? I'm thinking of using them on my Mk18 style build. I'm on the fence on a red dot, so I'm look for a serious set of irons for it.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I just noticed you had HK sights. How did you like them as a set? I'm thinking of using them on my Mk18 style build. I'm on the fence on a red dot, so I'm look for a serious set of irons for it.

If you want fixed sights, go with Daniel Defense ones. The problem with HK sights are that they are not AR plane. They are too low since the HK rail system is higher due to their piston system.

If you absolutely want drums, you'll have to find Centurion sights. They're HK drum style, but made for the AR plane.

Otherwise, for flip-up, I like the Magpul PRO LR series. Once you zero at 50, there are presets for longer distances. Magtech also has presets on their model as well as KAC Marine Corp versions.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Update: I've forked over the dough to acquire the Lancer extended handguard. Install was interesting for sure. Also swapped the Fixed Carbine Stock for the CTR. The FCS was just a tad too short even with the PRS pad.

I did notice that CDNN sells the CF portion itself in the event that we destroy or crack it. For $40, it's worth to get a spare or two. Keep that in the back of your mind, folks.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-516-ext-carbon-fiber-hg-no-hardware.html#.XGJs8qB7loV

Currently configured:

Folks, if any of you are interested in the custom CASV-MG handguard, PM me.

https://sigtalk.com/classifieds/318...eyepro-holsters-ar-parts-etc.html#post4477880

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.