SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

馃帠USA Veteran
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I obtained an S&W Model 27-2 to join my S&W revolver accumulation. In the picture it, in the center, is shown with a Model 25 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt at the top and a Model 686-1 at the bottom. Both the Model 27 and 686 are .357 Magnums.

This Model 27 was manufactured in 1979 and was about the pinnacle of S&W production revolvers. Notice the deep highly polished bluing and the finely checkered top strap.

Other features are the counterbored cylinder, pinned barrel, target rear sight, patridge front sight, and wide grooved target trigger/hammer.

I have not found a single blemish on this one; although someone replaced its original concalo alves checkered target stocks with rubber presentation grips. I have located and acquired a set of correct grips, or as S&W calls it stocks. So, this will be corrected in the near future.

Attachments

Resident Armorer Premium Member
lamarw, that looks to be the 8-3/8" barrel. The Model 27s were jewels, highly refined... more so than the 28s which were more utilitarian. To be honest, I'm more intrigued by your Model 25 Mountain Gun, I knew they manufactured it in stainless as the 625, didn't know they had marketed in the Model 25, in what I assume is .45 Long Colt.
None the less, congratulations on another fine wheel gun addition to your "accumulation"!

Reactions: lamarw

馃帠USA Veteran
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Willard, You have a sharp eye. The Mountain Gun is a Model 25-13. It was introduced at the Shot Show in 2004 as Product Code 160929 and offered as a Stocking Dealer Special for that year. The grips are Cocobolo and were provided to S&W by Ahrends.

And Yes, it is as you and many others describe a .45 Long Colt. It is actually just slightly lighter even in "N" size than the "L" size Model 686. Once you load both, the Mountain Gun becomes slightly heavier due to the larger ammunition. Thanks for the comments, Lamar

Registered
I have never seen a revolver with that kind of checkering along the top. That is nice touch of craftsmanship.

Reactions: lamarw

Premium Member
Congrats on the model 27. I had a gen on years ago and had to part with it due to raising children and being poor. I had all three of S&W's N frames.. the 357, 41, and the 44 magnums. Very sweet wheel guns for sure. My 27 was mid seventies vintage and lacked the checkering you pictured. Very sweet. It's a heck of a revolver. Enjoy...

馃帠USA Veteran
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Olbriar, I appreciate the comments from a person who knows how special these revolvers were at the pinnacle of S&W's production history.

SigNewb, Thanks for noticing the craftsmanship since we will probably never see the likes of it in a regular production handgun again.

Firearms Collector, LOL - Yes still have my arms and legs but did get a good manicure and pedicure. I believe I got a good price on it. I would of preferred a shorter barrel version, but you have to take what you can find when they are in this great of a condition and at a reasonable price. Even when I had to find the correct grips and buy them separately. Even picked-up a nice Hunter holster for only $28.00.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.