SIG Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. First time using a new Vortex Optics Crossfire II 6-24x50mm on my 516. Is it to be expected that shooting at a different magnification on a variable scope would drift the shot grouping?

All shots from 100 yards on a bench rest. I shot #1, #2, #3, and #4 at 18x magnification, but #5 which I circled in yellow was shot at 8x magnification. The average of this group is 1-2 inches higher than the other shot groups. Is a drift like this to be expected using this scope?

Note that the center one was just after I mounted the scope... I moved it 5 clicks and shot the smaller diamonds without modifying the zero.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
i had the same exact scope on my .308 bolt action. no such issues.

I'm no where near a pro shooter but I still examined your question in hopes I might be able to help.

But honestly, I think your groups are spread out too much to be able to pin the issue to the magnification change. Except for the two really high flyers, the rest of the shots in your group #5 are similar to the other groups. Maybe you just weren't as "accurate" with the decrease in magnification.

I'd take the gun back out, see you can't get the groups to tighten up just a hair (lead sled, bags, bipod, etc). then maybe try it in reverse, zero the rifle at 8x, then crank it up to 18x and see what happens. (then re-zero the rifle back on 18x if needed before you are done).

keep me updated, I'm new to this as well and I'm curious to what happens.

if it's zero'd at 100, and you are just using the middle of the reticle, I don't believe you should see a shift up in your group. if it is, i would contact Vortex, it could be the the reticle is shifting every so slightly through the range of magnification. Their warranty is top notch, they will help you out.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Yeah, agree with Mr Donttread. You didn't mention how many rounds are on this rifle's bore. If it's new, you can expect some inconsistencies in it's initial 70rds or so too. Also, it takes practice to get a good trigger break on every shot. I enjoy shooting rifle bulls eye targets because there's always improvements to make.

Your scope's POI shouldn't shift with magnification or turret changes, but that's really not an unusual problem to see. In addition to the magnification test you've already run, and donttreat's suggestion - Here's a video describing the very useful 'Box' test typically run on new optics.

https://youtu.be/q886sc-2grk

These guys have a lot of good videos that can help you enjoy your rifle.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Did you have a different scope mounted before the Vortex? If so, what was it and what was the grouping?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
As others above stated,lots of variables to check off before blaming the scope. As a rifle breaks in the POI will change. Check the mount, this is often the cause of shifting groups and poor groups. If after a few hundred rounds this shift is consistently present then Vortex will take care of you.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,041 Posts
Too many variables. Normally, scope manufacture stresses zeroing at highest magnification. Another is ring fit to bases, in this case ring to upper. Is the crossbolt a tight fit into the cut for it, or is it loose? Just as with iron sights, if the front sight is not centered, windage will vary within the range. The same can happen within the scopes tube, so variations in magnification can alter POI. With higher magnification scopes it can be more evident, and is why if you have windage adjustable rings, the gross error should be eliminated with the rings, and not the reticle, or it may become off center enough to cause the problems you are experiencing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.