SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Acquired a new project the other day, a P220 Carry in an extraordinarily "challenged" condition.

Before going any further, I'm making it clear that I am totally fine with the seller, not upset at what I got. He did represent it as heavily damaged and was really offered as just a good frame.

The deal started with a message from the owner, asking if I would be interested in buying some parts. Roundabout I find that there is indeed a mostly complete P220 Carry. The downside is that the owner, who had gotten the pistol from his dad, had given it to the wrong "gunsmiff" to do something with cosmetically.

Apparently, that "something" involved a motorized metal wire wheel brush and a substantial lack of restraint.

There must have been sparks flying for a considerable period of time and from multiple parts. The dude must have bought a 12-pack of wire wheels and wanted to get his money's worth.

We're not talking just surface swirls here; we're talking material removed, corners rounded, edges made jagged. This abuse doesn't just manifest on the slide, but on almost every steel part within the gun.

Ruined internal parts:
SRT sear
hammer
trigger
decock lever
takedown lever​

In addition to the abrasive damage, the real issue with the slide is the stuck roll pin in the slide. It's not just stuck... it's hammered in from both sides, completely stuffed, and has quite likely damaged the slide hole itself. It's not coming out without a drill.

Despite having a good frame, almost everything else bigger than a pin needs replacing, not reasonably corrected. Even the frame itself looks like there was some kind of clearcoat sprayed on and then buffed with steel wool. It's a genuine basket case and I've got to think about what to do.

Enjoy the gallery of firearms horror.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,709 Posts
Oh my!

May the 'Farce' be with you. :(

Reactions: RLevinson68

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would do my best to get the gun back to operation specs and leave it looking ruff as I could. I’d like to have a good beater that looked well worn. Although that one is way past the battle worn look people are going for these days.

·
Registered
481 Posts
“OH! The Horror”

Reactions: RLevinson68

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would do my best to get the gun back to operation specs and leave it looking ruff as I could. I’d like to have a good beater that looked well worn. Although that one is way past the battle worn look people are going for these days.
I have legit battle worn firearms. This one is outright abused.

I’ve got a coupe of ideas.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have legit battle worn firearms. This one is outright abused.

I’ve got a coupe of ideas.
Sounds good looking forward to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you don't mind me asking, what do you have into that?
Either way too much by some folks, little enough to make me pay out. It's the additional expenses that are adding up.

When I'm done with it, that's the big question... will I have something that's worth my expense and time?

Good thing this is fun for me, likely with no intent to sell the finished product, so it doesn't really matter for a fun/hobby build.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rob;
I have 'resurrected' several old motorcycles. The work involved, the new parts, reclaimed parts, more labor, paint, more labor etc etc.
In the end, the value of the resurrected motorcycle was never even close to the value of the time and $ invested.
BUT, the personal satisfaction of riding one of those old crocks around, and showing them at vintage bike shows, and actually doing (slow) laps at Mid Ohio and Louden New Hampshire raceways was worth a lot more.
Go on, resurrect your Sig, you'll treasure it more in the years to come than the $ cost, especially as you blast out the X ring of the target at the local range with YOUR pistol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
.....When I'm done with it, that's the big question... will I have something that's worth my expense and time?....
I will echo Velocette
... was never even close to the value of the time and $ invested.
BUT, the personal satisfaction....
as I have built cars and customized even semi-trucks as a hobby and at the end, someone passionate enough could pay the parts but average Joe wouldn't pay the time spent with the project.

I have been following your previous builts/restorations and all have been top notch so no pressure, we all are looking forward what comes out from this cooking...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
That was no gunsmith that did that. Your best bet is to buy a complete upper assembly for the frame, which seems to be the only salvageable part, and pick up an internal parts kit for the frame.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rob;
I have 'resurrected' several old motorcycles. The work involved, the new parts, reclaimed parts, more labor, paint, more labor etc etc.
In the end, the value of the resurrected motorcycle was never even close to the value of the time and $ invested.
BUT, the personal satisfaction of riding one of those old crocks around, and showing them at vintage bike shows, and actually doing (slow) laps at Mid Ohio and Louden New Hampshire raceways was worth a lot more.
Go on, resurrect your Sig, you'll treasure it more in the years to come than the $ cost, especially as you blast out the X ring of the target at the local range with YOUR pistol.
Oh, of course.

Understand that this is far from my first rodeo with restoring guns, motorcycles, or cars.

Pics attached of some past labors.

All of those P228s looked like the top one or worse. The top one is a “sleeper” and makes a Legion feel like a HiPoint.

That bike began as an engine in a bent frame and some wires. Much of what you see there is fabricated... frame section, bodywork, exhaust, suspension geometry, custom engine build.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.