SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, decided to join the forum after picking up my first Sig Sauer firearm. This is also my first CCW. I spent a long time extensively researching which gun I wanted for concealed carry and ended up getting a decent deal on a 2-toned P938.

Mine came with the extended mag, rubber grips, and Sig Laser for around $660 after FFL transfer, shipping etc. :D

When I was messing around with the laser I discovered that the windage adjustment wasn't working properly. I have already contacted customer service and they quickly sent me a shipping label to send it to them which is great, but after looking at the forum I have some more questions for you guys...

I'm guessing mine sat on the shelves for a long time (which is probably why I got a good deal) because the manufacture date is Nov. 2014. I just read about the MSH replacement and something about about the magazine catch? Obviously it has the gen 1 MSH right? :confused:

Should I call sig customer service back and ask them to replace the MSH to the updated design even though I haven't had a chance to fire the weapon yet? :confused:

This is my first CCW, I want to be sure its the best it can be and have my P938 be up to top spec.

Sorry for the longish post, this is my 2nd firearm, with my other one being a Beretta M9. Thanks!

·
Registered
868 Posts
You can certainly ask them to replace it.

The majority of owners don't have any problems and thus, don't go posting comments on forums. I wouldn't worry before actually shooting the gun.

Go to the range now, before sending it back !

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would agree that a lot of the old style MSH owners have not reported problems yet, a lot have had problems. I have not heard of anyone having a problem with the new style MSH. If it was mine and going back for other issue I would have Sig. install the updated MSH. If they will not do it learn how to inspect the pin that wears off and keep a good check on it and if/when it's about a third worn away Sig. will replace it at that time. There is a lot of info. and photos on this problem on the P238/P938 section of this site. HIBMEP

·
Registered
153 Posts
After my reply to you went down to the next page and someone has posted photos of ( how to tell new from old MSH and you can see pin that wears off ) just what I had suggested to keep an eye on. HIBMEP

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Welcome and good choice. I would make sure you put plenty of rounds down range but the good news is that if you have any problems at all, sig has been great about fixing the 938 with a quick turnaround.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Appreciate the advice and replies. I plan on going to the range in a week or too, been pretty busy, but I'll report back on my first impressions as a new Sig owner.

I am very encouraged to see that Sig does have a lifetime warrantee for reasonable use, so at least if it does start to wear it seems they'll take care of it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hey guys, decided to join the forum after picking up my first Sig Sauer firearm. This is also my first CCW. I spent a long time extensively researching which gun I wanted for concealed carry and ended up getting a decent deal on a 2-toned P938.

Mine came with the extended mag, rubber grips, and Sig Laser for around $660 after FFL transfer, shipping etc. :D

When I was messing around with the laser I discovered that the windage adjustment wasn't working properly. I have already contacted customer service and they quickly sent me a shipping label to send it to them which is great, but after looking at the forum I have some more questions for you guys...

I'm guessing mine sat on the shelves for a long time (which is probably why I got a good deal) because the manufacture date is Nov. 2014. I just read about the MSH replacement and something about about the magazine catch? Obviously it has the gen 1 MSH right? :confused:

Should I call sig customer service back and ask them to replace the MSH to the updated design even though I haven't had a chance to fire the weapon yet? :confused:

This is my first CCW, I want to be sure its the best it can be and have my P938 be up to top spec.

Sorry for the longish post, this is my 2nd firearm, with my other one being a Beretta M9. Thanks!
Congrats on your new gun!!

With the MSH, like mentioned earlier, alot of folks have the original MSH/SS and have thousands of rounds down the pipe with no issues..

Shoot the heck out of it.. If the MSH is going to be a problem, it will most likely start happening around the 400-600 round mark. That is typically when the issues start to show up.

One indication of a failing / Failed MSH/SS is the hammer get stuck in the intercept notch.

You will know this while shooting because your trigger will lock up solid and the hammer will look as if it is up against the Firing Pin but in actuality it is in the intercept notch. When this happens, you can pull the trigger back until it locks then shoot the round.

The Intercept notch is pretty darn close to the firing pin so at a quick glance one would think it was up against the firing pin.

There is a post also from Thinkfirst I believe that actually shows what to look for to see if your MSH is starting to fail. He posted some very nice photos. If you see it starting to show signs of wear I would call Sig and have it replaced before it starts becoming unreliable. While in for repair, I would also ask for the Mag release update also and any other newly designed parts.

Sig has redesigned the MSH/SS and the Mag release and in the new guns (After August 2015) they have placed the new parts in them.

My first P938 had issues around 400 rounds. My new P938 dated Oct 15, 2015 has almost 900 and no issues at all.

Also make sure you check the Guide rod after each range session/cleaning.. (I also check a couple times during a range session) as there is a possibility it may separate and shoot downrange.

If it gets lost, just call Sig for a new one. If you have both parts, red locktite seems to be what most folks here have used.

Hope this helps..

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,998 Posts
Congrats on your P938 purchase.

With the Nov 2014 build date, it will have the original MSH/sear spring design. Odds are it won't be a problem but here's a pic of what to be on the look-out for (pic is taken from the front/left of the pistol with the left grip panel removed):
Hair iron Electronic device Technology Audio equipment Microphone

There are a few other things to be watchful for during post-op cleaning.

Failure/breakage of the extractor "finger":
Table Technology Wood Fashion accessory

And the two piece guide rod coming loose:
Tool accessory Metal

I would be very interested to hear what your extractor looks like when new. Specifically, does it have a grind mark on the back side of the little finger that extends down from the extractor claw like the one in this pic:

Not trying to make you feel badly about your purchase. The vast majority of the 938s run just fine, but there have been some recurring issues that you should be aware of. Any problems you have will be corrected by SIG.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would be very interested to hear what your extractor looks like when new. Specifically, does it have a grind mark on the back side of the little finger that extends down from the extractor claw like the one in this pic:
View attachment 34709

Not trying to make you feel badly about your purchase. The vast majority of the 938s run just fine, but there have been some recurring issues that you should be aware of. Any problems you have will be corrected by SIG.
Not making me feel bad at all. I'll get a picture of it new and check it later today when I get off work. Its probably a good idea to oil it up before firing it for the first time anyways right?

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,998 Posts
Not making me feel bad at all. I'll get a picture of it new and check it later today when I get off work. Its probably a good idea to oil it up before firing it for the first time anyways right?
The reason I asked about the grind mark on the extractor is that I think it may represent a change to the design SIG made to reduce/eliminate the breakage we have seen. I think it may have gone into production in mid-late 2014.

Definitely clean and lube before firing. I prefer grease on the slide and frame rails.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The reason I asked about the grind mark on the extractor is that I think it may represent a change to the design SIG made to reduce/eliminate the breakage we have seen. I think it may have gone into production in mid-late 2014.

Definitely clean and lube before firing. I prefer grease on the slide and frame rails.
Have you posted a thread regarding the most accepted lubricating procedure for the P938? I know the general idea, but the only gun I've cleaned previously is a Beretta M9. I've search for some methods, but they all seem to suggest various things.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,998 Posts
I did post this addressing lubrication in the lower frame (behind the grip panels): http://sigtalk.com/p238-p938-pistol/45311-lubrication-points-p238-p938.html.

As far as the slide and upper frame are concerned, I lube my 938 like my other SIGs and follow Flork's advice found on the "other" SIG forum (google "Flork's lubrication recommendation").

I would suggest putting some grease in the horseshoe shaped area of the frame where the recoil spring guide rod base seats. It sees a fair amount of load during the firing cycle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.