SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The TL;DR version. P938 bought late January, has had failure to extract, slide stop coming out of position, and grip screw walked out. This is our first Sig.

Late last year, the wife expressed a desire to get her concealed carry permit and her own weapon. She does not have a lot of grip strength, and none of what I have suits her. Our LGS has a decent rental selection, she handled many .380s & 9mms before test firing, did about 200 rnds of test firing, and chose the P938 Extreme (and I got one as well.)

Because she wanted to be certain of handling failures if they happened during her testing, after firing one box and cleaning the pistol, we stopped cleaning the pistol after each session. Each session was about 100 rnds.

I wish I had kept details, but the first issue we noticed was failure to extract. This always happened on the last round of a magazine. The round fired, the slide locked back, but the spent casing was still chambered. I have not, but will, mark our magazines. This happened with my pistol as well. We've shot 115gr Blazer brass exclusively.

Since the guns were filthy, this didn't upset us. She got proficient at getting the spent shell out.

Then things got bad.

After roughly 400 rounds, she wasn't able to rack the slide. It took me a while, but I finally noticed that the slide lock had become dislodged just a bit. I popped it back into place, we finished shooting for the day, and stopped by the LGS.

The gunsmith ran a box of ammo through it, and of course, it performed flawlessly for him. He wasn't sure what the problem was, but removed the spring, and re-installed it, with a very slight bend (he said)

On our next trip, this time to the range at the LGS, she wasn't able to drop a spent magazine. I couldn't either, and took the safed pistol out to the counter, where we noticed that the top grip screw on the right hand side was gone, and the grip had shifted and was obstructing the magazine release. We had the LGS put in a new screw, make sure all the screws were tight and had Loc-Tite blue (on mine, too) and went home.

I thoroughly cleaned the pistols, and we went back two days later for her shooting test. The owner apologized for the staff charging us for the grip screw, said that they'd discussed customer service twice since our experience, and gave us a box of ammo as compensation.

Some discussion/instruction, and off into the range, where the pistol & my wife performed very well .... until she couldn't move the slide. The owner took the pistol, did not see what the issue was immediately, then I spotted the slide stop out of position.

The owner called over the gunsmith, who waffled totally, tried to blame it on how my wife was handling the recoil. To the owner's credit, he called BS on that. After many minutes of discussion, the wife finished the last few rounds of the test satisfactorily, albeit not as well has she had been shooting (combination of icing the kicker and adrenaline anger, I suspect)

The LGS marketing manager suggested that we first get a new spring from Sig, and see what happens.

When we got home, Sig got a scathing message on Facebook, and they contacted us. After speaking with a Sig representative this morning, the pistol is on its way to Sig, who will be replacing the spring, and doing whatever else they want, then returning it to us.

My wife is, in my opinion, justifiably concerned over the reliability of the P938. She chose it because of how it felt to her, compared to other pistols & revolvers, because of her ability to operate the pistol, and because of the Sig reputation. That reputation is, at the moment, a bit tarnished in our view.

I do of course realize that in a self-defense situation, the gun will be clean at the start, and certainly will not end up with hundreds of rounds going through it. I might add a check of the grip screws as part of the cleaning process. I'm still concerned about the slide stop, though. It's going to take some time and ammo to convince us that the pistol will be reliable.

If you made it this far, thanks. Comments welcome, of course. We're supposed to get the pistol back in early June, and I'll post updates. Copious notes will be taken, with marked magazines, round counts, etc, etc.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hopefully Sig will get you fixed up.......in one shot on the first try! I honestly think with these P938's you have about a 50% chance of running flawlessly or having an issue. I hope she gets it back and it works great for her and she can be confident in its ability to function every single time.

So you have 2 of the same pistol? And the only issue they both exhibit is the stuck spent brass casing? I have not heard of that being a primary issue with the P938 so that leads me to think it may be your ammo. I have always had good experiences with Blazer though myself. Maybe your barrels were made about the same time and are just a bit out of spec in the chamber?

As to the other issues unfortunately there are quite a few reports with much of the same here on the forum. But, I am pretty confident your issues will be taken care of. Who did you speak to in customer service? I don't recall the name of the gal I spoke with at the moment but I've seen her name here before and I get the feeling that if you talk to the right CS rep then the whole process has a higher probability of a successful outcome.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Very disappointing to hear of your experience. I recently bought a P938. I had 1 issue out of 250 rounds. The issue being that the slide lock was out of position. After moving the slide slightly, the take down pin/slide stop fell out. After reinstalling, all went well.
Please do post the response that you get from Sig.
I'm sure many of us are interested in How long it takes and what they did to correct the issue.
Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
For racking the gun. You may want to try putting an empty mag in gun. My wife uses this when she wants to leave the slide open on this gun. She is able to rack a round into the gun. As you know when she pulls the slide back it with lock open. I do think the 938 is one of the harder guns to rack. There is a method that some use. Instead of just pulling the slide back. You push the frame with strong hand while pulling the slide. There may be a u-tube showing this method.

As for the slide lock pin falling out. There has been a lot to talk on this forum about this. Seems that sometimes the spring that holds it in place is damaged or pulled out of position when cleaning the gun.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The TL;DR version. P938 bought late January, has had failure to extract, slide stop coming out of position, and grip screw walked out. This is our first Sig.

The gunsmith ran a box of ammo through it, and of course, it performed flawlessly for him. He wasn't sure what the problem was, but removed the spring, and re-installed it, with a very slight bend (he said)

This is the part that is strange to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sandaholic, yes, we have two of the same pistol. My guess, and it's just a guess, is that a little lube on the extractor might help with the failure to extract.

That is the only common problem to the two pistols

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For my wife, the slide lock came out of position three times, once in front of the LGS owner as he was administering her shooting test.

It's in SIGs hands now (literally. FedEx delivered it 3 hours ago.) I'll keep the group posted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ryanol, it is an absolute possibility that I misunderstood what he said, or that he dumbed down the explanation of what he did for us. The intent, regardless, was to try to get the slidelock to stay in position.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(Faster to answer multiples)

Jerrysea, that's exactly what my wife does to help lock the slide back. It's certainly a lot easier for her.

Darb77, I could see heavier ammo helping with the failure to extract, but not with the slidelock working out. I would guess that the slightly heavier recoil might make the problem (and the grip screw problem) worse.

The CS rep was Bo Abramczyk. He said they'd turn it around quickly, and get it back to us early the week of June 5.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I never had any luck with loctite holding on the grip screws. The hoppes always ate through the loctite bond from the backside because i run the gun so wet. Tiny o-rings were the solution. As far as the two piece guide rod - I check that everytime I clean it ~100 rounds typically.

I've never personally had a problem with the slide lock deal working loose - hopefully they can get that squared away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never had any luck with loctite holding on the grip screws. The hoppes always ate through the loctite bond from the backside because i run the gun so wet. Tiny o-rings were the solution. As far as the two piece guide rod - I check that everytime I clean it ~100 rounds typically.

I've never personally had a problem with the slide lock deal working loose - hopefully they can get that squared away.
I use CLP & Frog Lube, so perhaps they'll not eat through the loctite. I am going to add 'snug the grip screws' to my cleaning routine.

Unless I'm not understanding (always a possibility) I think these have a one piece guide rod. It's a flat coil spring over a guide rod.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I use CLP & Frog Lube, so perhaps they'll not eat through the loctite. I am going to add 'snug the grip screws' to my cleaning routine.

Unless I'm not understanding (always a possibility) I think these have a one piece guide rod. It's a flat coil spring over a guide rod.
They are in 2 pieces. The rod I believe is screwed into the horse shoe collar looking deal. Mine has never come apart. But its tightness was one of the first things I checked. I think all the newer pistols have the guide rod loctited together from the factory.

·
Registered
861 Posts

Check the guiderod every time you disassemble. Check the grip screws. If the grip screws are loose and you have the old MSH style pull one grip panel and Check the detent post. Check the downward finger on the extractor.

These are the things I check after every range trip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Check the guiderod every time you disassemble. Check the grip screws. If the grip screws are loose and you have the old MSH style pull one grip panel and Check the detent post. Check the downward finger on the extractor.

These are the things I check after every range trip.
Questions:
MSH style?
detent post?
Downward finger (I think I can figure that out)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.