SIG Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a P365XL and the magazine doesn't drop free of the magazine well. It only drops maybe half and inch and I have to remove it by hand. Does anyone know of a fix?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, some suggest loosening your grip. Really. The 365 doesn't have a stiff heavy grip area like a alloy framed handgun, it's a bit more compressible than the norm.

I duly noted that the grip was also relieved at the bottom as a fighting pistol to strip out the magazine if it didn't drop. In the day, the Glock didn't drop free either, early mags swelled when loaded and even empty you had to drag them out. It wasn't an issue for the Austrian Army - it was the US demanding drop free, and for the most part, the race gun shooters started it up. They wanted every precious micro second trimmed off the clock and by god they were gonna get it. The Customer Is Always Right and Glock changed to drop free. I had a G19C during the AWB and most of the later 10 shot mags dropped, but my collection also had one older high cap and it always stuck.

Looking at the 365 as a self defense pistol, with measured fire while executing a retrograde action away from a mass shooter, stripping the mag out won't be a life or death issue. This is where self defense/combat shooting is different from race gun. In a covered/concealed or even removed location, and/or after possibly firing ten rounds, there will likely be time to address it. After ten rounds, there may not even be return fire. Mass shooters tend to commit suicide when receiving return fire. Retaining mags is how we should train. Mags bouncing around into odd corners where they can't be reached or reloaded isn't good. Race gun tactics use thick mag plates since they bounce off concrete and get stepped on, too. Combat, you retain them, less noisy, less damage.

No doubt you can check with some kind of chalk or fluid to see exactly where the mags are binding up - getting things trimmed back inside the grip area may be problematic. 1000 grit paper wrapped around a stick might help however FRN will develop "feathers" which have to be cut. The fibers don't release freely out of the polymer. I was reminded when filing a notch for a safety on mine.

I could say its a feature not a defect but the huge number of shooters these days who follow all things competition to apply them to daily carry would be a distraction. The 365 series isn't so much a range gun, compromises in engineering were made for concealability. An XL grip might be a lot stiffer, and is certainly preferred by some for its longer grip which seems more resistant to the squeeze that the shorter grip is prone to suffering.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts