SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New P365 Striker Breech Protrusion

15K views 66 replies 29 participants last post by  rmfnla 
#1 ·
I just installed the newest striker in my P365. Looking at the protrusion of the striker past the breech face, I have some concerns. The protrusion seems to be very short. Can anyone post picks of the protrusion of the newest striker in their P365 for comparison? Here are my pictures.

Attachments

See less See more
#38 ·
I purchased 2 striker assemblies neither would work with my laser training cartridge. Left the original strikers in the guns one is a November 2020 build the other is October 2018.
Put the strikers in my spare parts box and will mess with them later. I suspect they are fine and I don’t want to break anything screwing around with them.

#43 ·
I don’t have pictures of fired cases. Have fired over 300 thru each xl with no light strikes. HST, sig v crown, my reloads and American Eagle 115, 124 and 147. No issues. There have been other posts regarding light strikes that prompted me to examine the retainer including 2 posts where the op sent their pistols to sig and when they came back the retaining cups had been replaced so sig knows about this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#46 · (Edited)
Well... I fired it today with four kinds of ammo (JHP and FMJ), about 200 rounds. I am satisfied.
It's interesting to note that of those four different type of cartridges, at least three of them used uniquely different primers and they all deformed differently from the firing pin strikes, with some strikes being deeper than others.

#51 ·
As SIG introduces new parts to the assembly of their pistols the concept of making them backward compatible for all previous models may not rank as high a priority. They sell working firearms, the existing supply of parts may cover more than a few incompatibilites.

I can guarantee automakers are far worse. My truck uses a specific crankcase ventilation valve, and there are 4 likely suspects. Mine was the $75 one, not the $7.50 one. And in most databases not all are listed. I've dealt with this before when Fram listed a PCV for a model that absolutely does NOT have one. But somebody installed it which meant the crankcase pressurized and it blew out oil a quart every 100 miles. It took a case of oil to get from GA to MO that day.

Changes in strikers on 365's follow some of those same inconsistencies. It's part and parcel of most fabricating industries to do this with alarming frequency.

#52 ·
As SIG introduces new parts to the assembly of their pistols the concept of making them backward compatible for all previous models may not rank as high a priority. They sell working firearms, the existing supply of parts may cover more than a few incompatibilites.

I can guarantee automakers are far worse. My truck uses a specific crankcase ventilation valve, and there are 4 likely suspects. Mine was the $75 one, not the $7.50 one. And in most databases not all are listed. I've dealt with this before when Fram listed a PCV for a model that absolutely does NOT have one. But somebody installed it which meant the crankcase pressurized and it blew out oil a quart every 100 miles. It took a case of oil to get from GA to MO that day.

Changes in strikers on 365's follow some of those same inconsistencies. It's part and parcel of most fabricating industries to do this with alarming frequency.
I do not think backwards compatible was a consideration at all, in regards to the different retainer design. I think it was changed for ease of manufacturing the retainer itself during the molding process. Also, the design was changed for the ease of assembling the striker during the assembly process. Let’s face it, putting on the two-piece retainer is not as easy as putting on the one-piece retainer. The one-piece retainer is superior, except for one really big issue, the adding of the extra ring of material at the small end, which limits the striker travel to a point of insufficient protrusion on all P365’s, not just older versions. I do not know if adding material was an oversight or intentional by design, either way, it created a problem with new and old pistols. What gets me is that Sig has supposed knowledgeable engineers that allowed the problem to occur. I am not an engineer but as soon as I saw the different design (extra material) I knew it would cause reliability issues. I did not experience light primer strikes myself because I never fired the pistol with the new retainer installed. After assembling the pistol with the newest striker, I checked protrusion past the breech face and saw it was not sufficient. This caused me to measure the thickness of the old vs the new retainer as well as the protrusion on both. How is it that I made the observation of the deficiency and Sig engineers did not? Sig, you screwed up, own it.

#54 · (Edited)
That’s good, I know for sure it will now never happen with my pistol. If you look closely at the the thumbnail picture by my name, you will be looking at a piece of brass from a round fired from my pistol after I changed from the one-piece to the two-piece thinner retainer. Note how pronounced the striker indentation is, this is how the primer on your fired round should be, for reliable ignition. Anything less and you are asking for problems.

#55 ·
The SIG engineers might be accused of being deficient in design but they do not have the last word on it. Management makes that decision, and profit is not disregarded. SIG engineers may well agree and make the same objections but the leadership at top directs what will happen after assessing all input.

We simply don't know that SIG engineers did or did not see the problem. What we do know is that SIG management made the final decision and we are stuck with it. I suppose an engineer could simply quit in disagreement. I have an idea having worked around engineers in a defense plant making batteries for weapons systems that they won't. It's all part of the job. Best course is to completely document they objected and if something comes up they are covered from any liability.

I saw that almost every week the year I was there, it was taken as a matter of course, those guys were average about 12 years employed there. Some new, some 25 years. Having also worked at an fabrication plant I saw a very similar approach with truck parts and waterjet assemblies. You do what you can and accept what you may not like, then live with it.

I followed the same approach working staff level in USAR and it saved my butt more than once repeatedly. When things go wrong, too often a scapegoat is sought rather than a solution. Unfortunately human organizations no longer seek a better level of quality when they are engaged in career escalation and everyone else on salary is the competition to be eliminated or subordinated. IE Remington, Colt etc. Hence their new ownership.

Im retired and dont miss that circus one bit.

#61 ·
It worked!! 😉 It definitely sticks out further from the breach face. I will take it to the gun range and check for functionality. If I still have lite primer strikes I will sand a little more off of the spring retainer cup. Thanks for the advice. I added pictures of what I did to fix the issue. Hope it makes sense. Hope it helps.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.