SIG Talk banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
Tooltech

Click the picture of the under slide without the Red Dot..
Place X over the Striker and click again for an enlarged pic.
OMG the Crud around your Breech.
That Slide needs a good Cleaning!!!

Do the same for Downeyg's Pictures

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
Tooltech

Click the picture of the under slide without the Red Dot..
Place X over the Striker and click again for an enlarged pic.
OMG the Crud around your Breech.
That Slide needs a Serious Cleaning!!!

Do the same for Downeyg's Pictures

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
You are right, I did not have an issue.

I suspect that Sig recently changed to the new spring cup. Based on past oversights by Sig, I would not be surprised if the addition thickness limiting striker travel was an oversight as well.

You admit you didn't have a problem, but are fine with speculating Sig is somehow at fault- based on something that can't allow for precise measurement- pictures.

I challenge you to shoot the pistol with the new striker and new cup- just to see what happens. You said it was easy to swap them out so it'll cost you nothing.

More than a few of us have asked if you fired the pistol with the new parts...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I have worked on Glocks and AR-15’s. I was an armorer prior. Based on the minimum requirement for firing pin/striker protrusion on other weapons, the protrusion on the striker as received for my P365, was inadequate. Being inadequate upon installation, there was no need to test the pistol. There was only a need to correct the issue, which was done. I now have a pistol that will function without any potential to fail to fire.

I know some people are very brand loyal and cannot handle any criticism of what they purchase. Sometimes this blinds people to the reality of what is actually happening. I call it like it is, regardless of my brand preference. From day one, my M11-A1 has been a superb shooter as purchased. The P365 has been troubled from its introduction. I believe the primer drag issue with the P365 has the potential to weaken striker tips over time. The drag is very pronounced in this pistol, as it was with mine. Others pistols have primer drag but not to this extreme. I purchased the newest striker to eliminate the primer drag and avoid any potential for striker failure. The striker I received had an updated spring cup that reduced the protrusion of the striker tip past the breech face. Logic dictates that if the depth of protrusion is reduced then the primer strike depth would be reduced, specifically by .014 of an inch. This is a significant reduction, given the shape of the striker tip. The deepest part of the primer strike is off-center because of the beveled shape of the striker tip. Why would I leave the new striker as-is if I have the ability to make it functionally the same as the striker prior to the updated spring cups?

So, is there an issue with the newest striker with the newest spring cup installed? In my view there is. Will I ever be burdened with finding out at the worst possible time? NO. Will anyone else be burdened by this? I do not know and hopefully no one will ever have to find out at the worst possible time.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. If anyone has an issue with what I have done or said here, feel free to move on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Gosh darn it... this is what happens if I read over the Internet posts.

On my new P365XL I see makings of being fired - do they fire ammo in it at factory?
Also is this enough?

This is a casing fired from my Hellcat, is that bad too?

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
10,920 Posts
Just curious. Has anyone spoke to Sig about it?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Gosh darn it... this is what happens if I read over the Internet posts.
My new P365XL doesn't have a protrusion showing when slide is out.
And I see makings of being fired - do they fire ammo in it at factory?

This is a casing fired from my Hellcat, is that bad too?

I believe they test fire them at the factory. I think you should fire yours before worrying about the striker protrusion.

Primer drag, as shown on your picture, seems to be pretty normal for micro compact pistols.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Instead of debating opinions, it's time for someone to take some measurements and debate the meaning of the data.

The question that needs to be answered is whether or not the depth of the striker impression in the primer is being limited by the striker spring retainer bushing.

Measure from the the depth of the striker impression in the primer to the end of the shell case. If this depth is shorter than the protrusion of the striker into the breech, it's the primer that is limiting the striker stroke. Clearancing the bushing will not yield a deeper impression into the primer.

If the measurement is equal to the striker tip protrusion into the breech, then it's most likely that the striker spring retainer is limiting the depth of the impression into the primer and that clearancing spring retainer bushing may be warranted.

The other question that needs to be answered is: "How deep must the striker impression into the primer be for reliable primer ignition?" If the striker impression isn't deep enough to be optimum, a stronger striker spring and/or a more massive striker may be needed.

You can modify the depth measuring end of a caliper like this:

I narrowed and rounded the end of my caliper to make measurements of bicycle spoke protrusion into the spoke nipples. You could do something similar to measure the depth of the striker impression into the primer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How deep must the striker impression into the primer be for reliable primer ignition?
That is indeed an interesting question and I guess it would depend on the ammo brand.

I have the feeling that Sig improved the "striker dragging" by a few changes.
  • changed the shape of the tip, to allow easier extraction, while under high g recoil forces, out of the primer pit.
  • changed the plastic retainer cups to limit travel to a shallower strike, making shallower pit in the primer cap. That makes less travel needed to exit that pit and less friction forces under the same high g recoil.
  • not sure if the spring rate of the striker was changed. Stiffer spring would put more force on extracting that tip from its primer landing pit, but I am not sure if would change the trigger pull.
  • a lighter firing pin would have also smaller inertia under the recoil g forces and would help all this process of tip retraction.
I saw trigger kits that claim that they are lightening the pull by replacing that spring... I wonder how is the primer strike in that modded case. If my hunch is correct, they will be worse.

I'll get some time on range with mine this weekend and compare to the results from Hellcat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That’s what my P365XL looks like and it’s fired every type of ammo I’ve fed it. If you look at the dimples on the primer of your spent cases, you will see they are adequate. It’s normal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have worked on Glocks and AR-15’s. I was an armorer prior. Based on the minimum requirement for firing pin/striker protrusion on other weapons, the protrusion on the striker as received for my P365, was inadequate. Being inadequate upon installation, there was no need to test the pistol. There was only a need to correct the issue, which was done. I now have a pistol that will function without any potential to fail to fire.

I know some people are very brand loyal and cannot handle any criticism of what they purchase. Sometimes this blinds people to the reality of what is actually happening. I call it like it is, regardless of my brand preference. From day one, my M11-A1 has been a superb shooter as purchased. The P365 has been troubled from its introduction. I believe the primer drag issue with the P365 has the potential to weaken striker tips over time. The drag is very pronounced in this pistol, as it was with mine. Others pistols have primer drag but not to this extreme. I purchased the newest striker to eliminate the primer drag and avoid any potential for striker failure. The striker I received had an updated spring cup that reduced the protrusion of the striker tip past the breech face. Logic dictates that if the depth of protrusion is reduced then the primer strike depth would be reduced, specifically by .014 of an inch. This is a significant reduction, given the shape of the striker tip. The deepest part of the primer strike is off-center because of the beveled shape of the striker tip. Why would I leave the new striker as-is if I have the ability to make it functionally the same as the striker prior to the updated spring cups?

So, is there an issue with the newest striker with the newest spring cup installed? In my view there is. Will I ever be burdened with finding out at the worst possible time? NO. Will anyone else be burdened by this? I do not know and hopefully no one will ever have to find out at the worst possible time.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. If anyone has an issue with what I have done or said here, feel free to move on.
So, call me crazy, but where are all the "light strike" threads you'd expect from this latest Sig manufacturing "snafu"?
I would think this isn't the first striker of this split cup generation with less protrusion to be sent out of the factory.
To my "not an armorer"....."not an engineer" mind, I would think the less striker protrusion the better for striker longevity as long as the gun goes bang every time the trigger is pulled.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would think the less striker protrusion the better for striker longevity as long as the gun goes bang every time
You are correct in both of those assumptions. We just don't know what's the minimum limit that the gun will still go "bang" reliably. Because that can get you killed in a self-defend situation.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You are correct in both of those assumptions. We just don't know what's the minimum limit that the gun will still go "bang" reliably. Because that can get you killed in a self-defend situation.
I'm looking forward to your range report this weekend. That'll be more informative than all this speculation, measuring, etc.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I purchased 2 striker assemblies neither would work with my laser training cartridge. Left the original strikers in the guns one is a November 2020 build the other is October 2018.
Put the strikers in my spare parts box and will mess with them later. I suspect they are fine and I don’t want to break anything screwing around with them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I did note that the cups are made differently on my new striker. I will disassemble both and see if there is a difference dimensionally in their thickness. The new cups are actually not cups at all but a single split cup instead of two pieces. I wonder if some compression takes place under the power of the striker spring and the protrusion increases when actually firing the gun. I also noted that when pushing the striker forward with the safety not interfering, there was less forward travel observed over the top of the safety. I think you found the problem.

I think the split one-piece cup is for ease of assembly. All you have to do is stretch the cup over the striker body and it will not fall off before the spring slides over it.
The single piece strike cups on the 2 2021 xl and 1 x slide all measured .215 the original 2 piece strike cups measure .196 in my 2018 365. Both xls have had light strikes. I have never had a light strike after 7000 rounds. There is an easy fix with 600 grit sandpaper on a flat surface. Xls and x have not had a light strike after 300 rounds thru each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 49 Posts