SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the newest striker in my P365. Looking at the protrusion of the striker past the breech face, I have some concerns. The protrusion seems to be very short. Can anyone post picks of the protrusion of the newest striker in their P365 for comparison? Here are my pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just checked mine. It seems to protrude a little more than that. Maybe there is debris in your striker channel.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, there is absolutely no debris in the striker channel, it is clean as it can be. The channel is free of any burrs and cleanly cut. Are you able to post pictures of the striker protrusion in your pistol?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just installed the s striker last night so I have not been able to test fire the pistol. It just seems to me that the protrusion is very short compared to any other pistol I have owned or worked on.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I wonder if this is part of Sig's answer to the striker drag issue?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Spring Cups limit stick-out

My new striker sticks out plenty, just like ToolTech's does.
So I thought I would do a quick break down of my P365-MS and examine the components and their lengths in relation to the striker channel.

My gun was made in June of 2019, but Sig replaced my striker with the latest beveled design after a complaint about the Manual safety Lever being bent from the factory.

What I found was the bare striker, when inserted into the slide channel, would stick out of the breech face by .065 inch with NO cups or springs.
The striker and just the Striker Cups stuck out less, only .045 inch.
And the fully assembled striker stuck out .045 inch.
And the gun fully assembled had the same length of .045 inch.

My finding indicate the Spring Cups limit the final travel length of the striker.
If the front of the cups were thinner, the striker would sit deeper into the channel, and the tip would stick out more at impact.
If the rear of the Cups were shorter, the striker would stick out more at impact.

So, if the cups were just .015 shorter, the tip would stick out a bit more, but at the expense of bottoming out the stiker into the slide, metal on metal.

One could also argue that the FRONT RADIUS AREA of the striker was the FINAL limiting surface for maximum stick out, in my case just .065 inch.
MC Rider.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I did note that the cups are made differently on my new striker. I will disassemble both and see if there is a difference dimensionally in their thickness. The new cups are actually not cups at all but a single split cup instead of two pieces. I wonder if some compression takes place under the power of the striker spring and the protrusion increases when actually firing the gun. I also noted that when pushing the striker forward with the safety not interfering, there was less forward travel observed over the top of the safety. I think you found the problem.

I think the split one-piece cup is for ease of assembly. All you have to do is stretch the cup over the striker body and it will not fall off before the spring slides over it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I did note that the cups are made differently on my new striker. I will disassemble both and see if there is a difference dimensionally in their thickness. The new cups are actually not cups at all but a single split cup instead of two pieces. I wonder if some compression takes place under the power of the striker spring and the protrusion increases when actually firing the gun. I also noted that when pushing the striker forward with the safety not interfering, there was less forward travel observed over the top of the safety. I think you found the problem.

I think the split one-piece cup is for ease of assembly. All you have to do is stretch the cup over the striker body and it will not fall off before the spring slides over it.
Why don’t you test fire it before you start tearing it down?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Why don’t you test fire it before you start tearing it down?
Let me answer that for you. First, I am not tearing it down. If you are installing a part on a firearm and you see there is a potential issue, you address it at that point in time. The small amount of protrusion I observed did not appear adequate. Requesting information and pictures from others will either dispel my apprehension or support it. Perhaps you should move on from this postings to something more appealing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
WOW!
A few facts about all the SIG 3XX guns:
A. Those are polymer striker guns;
B. The striker is always fully "cocked" while the gun is fully assembled;
C. The striker is always fully forward/not cocked when the slide is off the gun;
D. After assembling the gun, because part of the assembly is puling the slide back, the striker is again fully cocked.

There's no problem here at all, the gun is perfect!

IZK

·
Registered
255 Posts
I suspect that Downey's gun will fire every time.

But he did raise the important issue of minor and subtle ongoing machining changes and variations since the introduction of the P365 series.
Case in point, the new extractor.

I don't suggest the following, but if I really wanted to get the striker out a bit more.....

I would paint the front of the bare striker with Machinists Blue Dykem, insert the striker into the channel, twist the striker around, check the striker for contact with the bottom of the channel by lack of dykem, grind back that area of the front radius area just a TINY BIT, repeat with the dykem if necessary, check the new stickout length, and then call it good enough.
I would not mess with the cups, but only the front radius area of the striker.
MC.

PS: You can check the stick out length with a set of spark plug feeler gages and a flat knife blade.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My new striker sticks out plenty, just like ToolTech's does.
So I thought I would do a quick break down of my P365-MS and examine the components and their lengths in relation to the striker channel.

My gun was made in June of 2019, but Sig replaced my striker with the latest beveled design after a complaint about the Manual safety Lever being bent from the factory.

What I found was the bare striker, when inserted into the slide channel, would stick out of the breech face by .065 inch with NO cups or springs.
The striker and just the Striker Cups stuck out less, only .045 inch.
And the fully assembled striker stuck out .045 inch.
And the gun fully assembled had the same length of .045 inch.

My finding indicate the Spring Cups limit the final travel length of the striker.
If the front of the cups were thinner, the striker would sit deeper into the channel, and the tip would stick out more at impact.
If the rear of the Cups were shorter, the striker would stick out more at impact.

So, if the cups were just .015 shorter, the tip would stick out a bit more, but at the expense of bottoming out the stiker into the slide, metal on metal.

One could also argue that the FRONT RADIUS AREA of the striker was the FINAL limiting surface for maximum stick out, in my case just .065 inch.
MC Rider.
I took apart the new striker assembly and the old one. Here is what I discovered. The new single piece split cup is .210” thick. The old two piece cups are .196” thick, .014 is a considerable difference. I placed the old two piece cups on the new striker assemble and you guessed it, the striker protrudes further past the breech face. The protrusion is now what I consider acceptable and it removes any apprehension of reliability from my mind. Here are are pictures of the protrusion now and the new style split cup. By the way, the split cup is much easier to install, too bad it is too thick.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Mine seems about the same with the newer striker.

To me when I look at it from the top of the slide it seems it protrudes more than looking underneath.

It functions 100%. No malfunctions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If nothing else, the extra protrusion of the striker removes any doubt of reliability. Changing our the spring cups was easy and doing so cost me nothing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts