SIG Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new P320C RX from the Sig Pro Shop (shout out - thanks to this forum). I've shot the P320F and P320C just fine in the past but am having trouble getting used to the Romeo - shooting with both eyes open, focusing on the target vs the front sight, finding the dot, adjusting the dot to zero, any sense of consistency. Granted, it's my first experience with a red dot and only one session of 100 rounds with the RX.

·
Registered
571 Posts
One of the big differences is I have found you need to focus on the target instead of the dot. Let the red dot be in your peripheral vision.

Of course, you need to be sure your dot is true. It can be tricky, if it's off a little, it doesn't show up as much when the dot is low but it gets worse the higher up the lense you go. If you can bench it, that's the best but be sure your dot is right on.

You can also use the dot in dry fire practice. You'll see movement you would have never seen with irons. If you can keep that dot in the exact same spot click after click, your trigger control is spot on.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It might help to shoot with both eyes open when shooting irons, helps to be consistent. It is very easy, focus on your front sight and simply open the other eye, your brain will pretty much ignore the new information and sight/target picture remain the same. It won't be long before you won't need to close the non dominant eye first.

Next, the beauty of the red dot, is it will be in focus on the target. The target no longer needs to be blurry, as when you focus on the front sight.

As was mentioned do a good solid bench rest and get the dot on target. Once it is there, just have the dot in the window (kind of dumb advice, because if it's not in the window there is no dot...but it's what everyone says ) and place the dot where you want the bullet to go, and keep it there until the shot breaks. While dry firing. practice your presentation for consistency, same grip, same presentation every time. Over time the dot will be there almost every time...and when you get sloppy you will know instinctively what to do to get it right quickly.

IMO best to do one thing at a time...hit your target every time first, then work on presentation and speed....although the first will solidify your grip and help with the second.

It seems to me from talking and reading from others the biggest problem with acclimating to red dots on pistols, is fighting how simple it is. People hear about "finding the dot" and they start thinking it's so much harder than iron sights when it is not. When you stop and think about it, if the shot is on target with the red dot, wouldn't the iron sights have to be aligned also? The red dot does not change where the bullet is going...only the muzzle direction does that...any sight merely assists us in directing the muzzle. With the RX you can cowitness with the irons, present with the irons and you will see the red dot in the window also...the presentation is exactly the same..."finding the dot" is all in our head.

Reactions: Scooter22

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just got my new P320C RX from the Sig Pro Shop (shout out - thanks to this forum). I've shot the P320F and P320C just fine in the past but am having trouble getting used to the Romeo - shooting with both eyes open, focusing on the target vs the front sight, finding the dot, adjusting the dot to zero, any sense of consistency. Granted, it's my first experience with a red dot and only one session of 100 rounds with the RX.
Congrats! I ordered a P320C RX from the Pro Shop last week. Just curious when you ordered yours, and when they notified you that the gun was in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the advice!

I ordered on 3/31 and they shipped the same day as they still had them in stock. Looking forward to visiting the Pro Shop one day and also attending Sig training.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I'm sure that I approached this incorrectly, but I shotwith the irons and the red dot aligned. :)

Just two weekends ago I started shooting just red dot and my first shots are just fine, my follow-ups (so far) have been harder to get back on target and get the shot off.

That's just my personal approach and experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps I'll try out my LaserLyte bore sight with it. I tried that thing on my other pistols and between 50 year old eyes and that reflective target didn't get much achieved.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Congrats! I ordered a P320C RX from the Pro Shop last week. Just curious when you ordered yours, and when they notified you that the gun was in?
Mine was 2 weeks from ordering it to picking it up. I was #70 on the list at that time. the next week they got a bunch in but was not enough for me so the next week they got a bunch more in and that's when I got the call.

I thnik it really depends on how fast they are pumping them out so delivery times will vary..

Hope it arrives soon for ya!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Nice. I decided to go with the full size and picked it up last week at my LGS after a two month wait for it to come in. Haven't shot yet but did play around with the Romeo yesterday. Dropped a laser bore site in and the Romeo and bore dot looked to be the same. So we'll see how it goes at the range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got my P320RX Compact from my FFL today. Got it on the NRA Inst. deal. Still a little better than the Cabelas deal but not by much. They originally told me could be up to three months. Called me in about three weeks for payment, shipped the next day.

Our state started collecting sales tax when they passed our draconian anti-gun I-594 funded by Soros a couple years ago. First mail order gun since then. Boy was I surprised when I picked up my new gun and paid the $75 I thought I saved. Oh well, I’m not sending it back.

So my picture tonight is a little ol’ school plus a little brand new. Years ago, I saw the P250 for what it was, a magazine fed revolver per say. Not the fastest girl in town, but reliable. Even if you didn’t take her out much, just Point and Press. Need more, do it again. After several variants of the P250 and exchange kits, I saw one of the early ones (pre new grip module) on sale with the cool digital camo for a good deal and added it to the inventory.

So now, I have a digi-camo P320Rx compact. Did a little magic with the mag bases and stole a couple of my full sized 17 rounder's and I’m headed for the range tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, Range day 1. I didn't try to figure out the trigger per say other than to try and keep the red dot settled while shooting. I put 400 115gr fmj from RPM (local vendor), Blazer, and Estates. (was disappointed in the Estates, it didn't print the same as the other two.)

So I didn't check the tightness of my mounting screws nor take a pic of the overhang on each side of the optic before I started shooting. I should have. I had to keep adjusting the red dot to the right. A lot! After the third time I torqued the screws a little more by hand. Zeroed it at 7, 10, 15, then 25. Had to go up 3 clicks or so.

Now, I wanted to know how this trigger would be for someone who doesn't know much about triggers and did everything but slam the thing sideways. I can say it gave me a surprise shot often. I wanted to know how it would go, put the dot on target and let er rip.

Well not really to bad. I will post the target. After I sighted it in. I did the 1-6 drills trying to find that balance to shoot as fast as possible once I found the red dot on target and same for follow up shots. I only had about 4 rounds out of the 1-6 in all the drills I did. I had to use only dots 1-4 for 5 and 7 yard as it was an indoor range. From 10 out I used all 6. Started with 1 each time. only went to next multiple if everything was inside the circles. Once I got down to 75 rounds or so I did a mag per yardage using standard desert paper plate. Started from the bottom (again indoor range) 20 yards, then 15, then 10, 7, and finally 5. Each time I shot as fast as I could get the red dot back onto the circle. Pretty impressive gun, considering the shot placement. Each stage was a fast cadence count. I didn't dauddle. Each step closer allowed me to go much quicker. So with out any more to do, here is the target. I found the 'gen 1/old style' grip module pretty slick. I'm going to add a talon stick on grip to see how that helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
Welcome to SigTalk Chillviper and congrats on the 320 rx. My rx model is a full size. Love the optics. Once you get onto shooting with it you will be impressed. It's difficult to not want an red dot on all of your handguns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts