SIG Talk banner

New P320C jamming - is it me or the gun?

17825 Views 24 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  ProofMark
I am a new shooter and just purchased the P320 compact 9mm. 7 jams in the first 450 rounds. Maybe that's normal but it seems high.

Prior to purchasing I rented p320 full and put 100 rounds through with no jams at all.

I brought this new gun home, cleaned and lubed it. Went to the range and shot 200 rounds (Remington 9mm 115 grain FMJ). I had 2 jams - empty casing ejected fine but new round not properly chambered. I really had to pull the slide hard to get the jammed rounds out. The RSO said it was likely bad ammo.

Went home cleaned and lubed gun. Back to the range this week. I shot 150 rounds of the Remington, had 3 more jams; 1 the spent casing didn't eject, 3 were rounds not chambering correctly. I bought a box of Blazer Brass 124 grain fmj thinking maybe different ammo, I had a round not chamber correctly. Jams happened with both mags.

I brought the gun to the store attached to range and explained the problem. The gun expert grabbed a box of Blazer 115 grain, loaded the 2 mags then shot the 30 rounds in less than 30 seconds with no jams. I shot the rest and had another jam, the gun expert said it was how I pulled the trigger? Really that would stop a round from chambering properly? I have heard that a loose grip would effect the reloading but the trigger pull was new to me.

I called Sig and customer service said that a 1.5% jamming rate is normal. Again I am surprised that 1.5% is a normal expectation, I would have thought the expected failure rate would be much much lower.

I get that maybe some of this is me and my grip but I am having real doubts about this gun.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
3,377 Posts
If it is not the gun then it is your hold, too limp.

You might want to seek a handgun instructor, not bad idea for a beginner.

Trouble certainly could be the 320 but verify it's not you.

Do not accept the rate of failure you are having.

· Registered
629 Posts
I am a new shooter and just purchased the P320 compact 9mm. 7 jams in the first 450 rounds. Maybe that's normal but it seems high.

Prior to purchasing I rented p320 full and put 100 rounds through with no jams at all.

I brought this new gun home, cleaned and lubed it. Went to the range and shot 200 rounds (Remington 9mm 115 grain FMJ). I had 2 jams - empty casing ejected fine but new round not properly chambered. I really had to pull the slide hard to get the jammed rounds out. The RSO said it was likely bad ammo.

Went home cleaned and lubed gun. Back to the range this week. I shot 150 rounds of the Remington, had 3 more jams; 1 the spent casing didn't eject, 3 were rounds not chambering correctly. I bought a box of Blazer Brass 124 grain fmj thinking maybe different ammo, I had a round not chamber correctly. Jams happened with both mags.

I brought the gun to the store attached to range and explained the problem. The gun expert grabbed a box of Blazer 115 grain, loaded the 2 mags then shot the 30 rounds in less than 30 seconds with no jams. I shot the rest and had another jam, the gun expert said it was how I pulled the trigger? Really that would stop a round from chambering properly? I have heard that a loose grip would effect the reloading but the trigger pull was new to me.

I called Sig and customer service said that a 1.5% jamming rate is normal. Again I am surprised that 1.5% is a normal expectation, I would have thought the expected failure rate would be much much lower.

I get that maybe some of this is me and my grip but I am having real doubts about this gun.

Wow.. I cannot believe they told you that. To me any failures are unacceptable. You paid good cash for that gun and it should shoot every time you press the trigger.. especially since it could be used for self defense..

I would guess limp wrist.. Have someone else shoot 100 rounds through it.. If no failures then I would not suspect the gun.

Hope this helps..

· Registered
1,169 Posts
I also find that high a failure rate to be unacceptable. It is possible you are limp wristing and having someone else shoot the gun is a good idea.

I would go ahead and clean the pistol well paying attention to the breech block, extractor hook, feed ramp and barrel throat. Then go out and try shooting a bunch of decent 124 grain 9mm ball ammo. If you have no malfunctions with a couple or few hundred of those, try the 115 grain ammo again.

If the problem persists, I would insist that SIG examine it under warranty.

· Registered
46 Posts
I went to the range this weekend, 3rd trip with my 229 and I had 1 FTF and slide not locking back after the last round was fired with the first couple of magazines, which was directly due to my thumb on my off hand riding the slide. As soon as I adjusted by grip no more issues. Not the first time that's happened either. Check to make sure your thumbs/hands are not riding the slide. I shoot Blazer 124 in my shield and 229 and have never had any issues except for my grip as discussed.

Valistar

· Registered
165 Posts
I have a 320 Carry as does my son...each have well over 2K rounds and not a single issue. Both guns are shot regularly in a local IDPA league and I run some light recoil 124gr and 147gr rounds through mine with no problems. As others have mentioned, you might want too have someone take a look at your grip especially since someone has shot it with no issues.

As far as 1.5% jamming rate goes...well, that would be totally unacceptable to me and I've never experience anything like that with any of my Sigs.

· Registered
357 Posts
I would discard any comment about limp wristing. This isn't a glock. Blame the gun, not the shooter. I limp wrist, canted shoot, upside down shoot, limp left or right handed. That gun better work, period. If you are injured do you honestly think you can ask the bad guy to play fair because you limp wristed???

My P320 carry and full perform without issues.

I would not do anything for 1k rounds. After that I would be sending the pistol off to Sig if issues remain.

· Registered
452 Posts
Not normal but you don't have enough experience to self-diagnose. Based on expert having no problem i'd look at user error. Even something as simple as not making sure the mags were 100% inserted or bullets not seated fully in the mags).

So start with 5-7 rounds. Use one mag (mark them A & B). Lower the variables.

full size gun (much better to grip) and broken in.

I shot 150 rounds of the Remington, had 3 more jams; 1 the spent casing didn't eject, 3 were rounds not chambering correctly. I bought a box of Blazer Brass 124 grain fmj thinking maybe different ammo, I had a round not chamber correctly. Jams happened with both mags.

agree with sideburn put 1k rounds thru any gun before making any changes whatsoever (except grips if you already have thousands of rounds thru the model).

limpwristing and/or anticipation is very possible and likely. i see newbs MISS the entire target at 7 yards getting so jacked up. The OP must use 100% grip with both hands (max grip both hands).

You could have multiple issues from not properly loading the cartridges in the mag, not inserting the mag fully, thumb riding the slide, flinching/anticpating and/or limp wristing.

Keep at it and good luck!

· Registered
P320 Carry 45, 9MM, 357 Sig, Colt 1911, QHMC M1 Carbine, Astra 1915 32, Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56MM
440 Posts
Could be a number of things adding up to create the problem. I had occasional FTEs for the first few hundred rounds with my 9MM Carry. I switched to 124 grain ammo and that seemed to help, but I think in general there is some break-in period with these pistols. I have over 1,100 rounds through it now and haven't had any issues since I got past the first few hundred rounds. Don't give up on it - it's a great pistol. Good luck.

· Registered
282 Posts
I had problems also

I've had my P320 Compact 9mm for about 4 months. It's a certified pre-owned. I could barely get through a magazine at first without a jam. I replaced the return spring, the extractor, and the extractor spring. Since then I have not had a single malfunction in several hundred rounds. If you do end up sending it back to Sig, ask them to do the same to yours. Good luck.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called Sig again to see if maybe someone else there had a different theory. Again they said a 1-2% failure rate is very common for all guns. The military must be ok with that high of a failure rate in it's weapons. I just can't believe that.

She mentioned it could be that I am holding it with a loose grip. Ok, but this is the gun the military is going to use, if one of our brave service men or women are injured and can't get a 2 hand firm grip then the gun will only fire once? Really?

She offered to have Sig take a look at it but also warned that if a guy in the gun store didn't have a problem in 30 rounds then they likely won't either. And to look at it will take 4-6 weeks.

Absolutely regretting this purchase. Sig quality and customer service are way below expectations.

· Registered
452 Posts
I called Sig again to see if maybe someone else there had a different theory. Again they said a 1-2% failure rate is very common for all guns. The military must be ok with that high of a failure rate in it's weapons. I just can't believe that.

She mentioned it could be that I am holding it with a loose grip. Ok, but this is the gun the military is going to use, if one of our brave service men or women are injured and can't get a 2 hand firm grip then the gun will only fire once? Really?

She offered to have Sig take a look at it but also warned that if a guy in the gun store didn't have a problem in 30 rounds then they likely won't either. And to look at it will take 4-6 weeks.

Absolutely regretting this purchase. Sig quality and customer service are way below expectations.
Get off the phone and forums and hit the range, preferably with an experienced shooter. Shoot mag with 5-6 rounds 124gr NATO spec ammo. 1 shot every 3 seconds not worrying about perfect accuracy. 7 yards or less.

Also wear ear foamies AND muffs to mitigate noise flinching

· Registered
282 Posts
I called Sig again to see if maybe someone else there had a different theory. Again they said a 1-2% failure rate is very common for all guns.
If you have the occasion to call Sig's customer service again, ask for a supervisor and tell him or her what you've been told before. In my opinion (and many others), a .1% failure rate is unacceptable for a pistol like a Sig, much less 1-2%. (I'm assuming quality ammunition and no operator error.) One or two percent failure rate may be common for some junk pistols that cost hundreds of dollars less than Sigs, but isn't 100% reliability one of the reasons we spend so much on our Sigs?

My M11-A1 has about 2000 rounds through it without a failure of any kind. It was my first Sig, and I have purchased more since then. But if Sig's customer service department continues to shovel manure like "a 1-2% failure rate is common for all guns", I may have bought my last Sig. And please feel free to tell them I said they are full of ****.

· Registered
209 Posts

I don't think the answer you got from Sig would work for me. Any gun I carry for SD would have to have a ZERO failure rate before I would leave my house with it. When I bought my M & P Shield 9 mm years ago I fired 200 rounds out of it without any malfunctions. When I reached 500 rounds I felt comfortable enough to carry it as my EDC. Now every other month or so I run a few magazines through it to make sure it's still functioning well. The day it fails that test it goes back to day one until I feel it's up to snuff again.

You might want to change the brand and grain of ammo you are using. I'm sure you know every gun works differently with ammo. What works for me may not work in your gun. My gun likes Speer Gold Dot 124 grain LE HP's.

· Registered
7 Posts
I recently purchased the Sig P320c RX version - and I took it out to the range this last weekend (shot both saturday and sunday for a bit). I tried a few different brands of ammo that I had on hand (federal 115g, winchester 115g, blaser brass 115 and speer lawman 124g) all with no issues of any kind. All in all I believe I shot about 300-350rds.

I hope you are able to resolve your issue - as others have suggested it could be limp wristing - I know I had that issue with a walther p99 I used to own - and once I corrected that I had no further problems with it. I haven't tried the full size model - but I would imagine that most full sized guns are a bit more forgiving. Compact and SubCompact models tend to require a little more finesse when handling.

Something like these might help determine if it's a user issue or the hardware - (please don't take this as an attack...just throwing this out there as a possible tool to help)

https://www.amazon.com/Diagnostic-H...=UTF8&qid=1488988867&sr=1-31&keywords=targets

And like others have suggested - try to work with an experienced shooter.

Don't let this experience put a damper on your new hobby.

Best of Luck!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
An update on the Jamming -

Sent the 320c back to Sig via an RMA and they replaced the Extractor and Extractor spring. Brought it to the range today and shot 200 rounds without a jam! This was my first jam free day with this gun.

I should have sent it back to them sooner...

· Registered
18 Posts

1 to 2 failures per 100 would be totally unacceptable to me- maybe just me but if mine turns out like that and I can't find and correct a conclusive cause for it, it's going down the road.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.