SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New P320C Fail to Feed / Jam
New here, from Dallas,
I picked up a NEW P320C .40S&W , it came with 2 NEW magazines. I unboxed it, striped it down, cleaned and lubed it with CLP. 2 boxes of SIG Elite Performance 180 Grain ammo. and headed to the range.
first magazine, no issues, crazy accurate right out of the box. Second mag, jammed. - Ejection was ok, slide picked up the next round from the mag, as it began to feed the next round from the magazine it jammed in approx. a 45 degree angle. projectile met the top of the barrel but did not fully feed before the slide came forward and pinned it causing me to drop the mag and eject the jammed round. Changed magazines and they were both doing it. It was sporadic, sometimes the third round sometimes the eighth round. I gave the rails another shot of CLP, no improvement.
My grip was fine, Pistol is new, both Mags are new, ammo was new and name brand. Weapon was clean and lubed the same way I prepare my Baretta 92.
I have been shooting for over 30 years, trained by the USMC, LTC holder and own several firearms.

Is this possibly a break in issue??

Thanks guys.
Drew

·
Registered
547 Posts
Welcome!

based on
" It was sporadic, sometimes the third round sometimes the eighth round. "
I will ask,

sure its not a grip issue?
- adjustment of your grip at all on the 2nd or preceding mags that had issues?

riding the slide with your thumb inadvertently possibly?

i've never had any "break-in issues" with my 3/ 320s in 9mm.

+ maybe try with some FMJ plain jane range ammo & see what you get..

are you seeing anything odd on the interior of the slide (wear marks) or bbl ?

maybe the recoil spring is to strong and the slide is moving to fast towards lockup- idk though..

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I too recommend changing out the ammo to a different brand. I had something similar happen within the first 100 rounds. But it sounds like you had more issues than I did. I would also recommend to load up the mags and let them sit for a couple days to a week.

If you still have issues you can always call Sig and have them check it out.

·
Registered
677 Posts
New here, from Dallas,
I picked up a NEW P320C .40S&W , it came with 2 NEW magazines. I unboxed it, striped it down, cleaned and lubed it with CLP. 2 boxes of SIG Elite Performance 180 Grain ammo. and headed to the range.
first magazine, no issues, crazy accurate right out of the box. Second mag, jammed. - Ejection was ok, slide picked up the next round from the mag, as it began to feed the next round from the magazine it jammed in approx. a 45 degree angle. projectile met the top of the barrel but did not fully feed before the slide came forward and pinned it causing me to drop the mag and eject the jammed round. Changed magazines and they were both doing it. It was sporadic, sometimes the third round sometimes the eighth round. I gave the rails another shot of CLP, no improvement.
My grip was fine, Pistol is new, both Mags are new, ammo was new and name brand. Weapon was clean and lubed the same way I prepare my Baretta 92.
I have been shooting for over 30 years, trained by the USMC, LTC holder and own several firearms.

Thanks guys.
Drew
Ugg...now you got me worried. I have a P320 Compact in both 9mm and .357. The .357 was a conversion kit and that works perfect but I have another conversion but have never taken it to the range so crossing my fingers it has no issues. My other 9mm Compact and Subcompact has never had any issues period.

It sounds like your chamber may be too tight and/or feed ramp was not machined properly. My sigs did not need any breakin and were good to go out of the box. I even use my crummy reloads using brass from all different lots, some brass are in good conditions, others are horribly worn yet none have caused my gun to choke. Definitelyi send yours into sig

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Sorry you are having troubles with your 320. I've experienced no problems with the three I own but they are all nines. I hope it's the ammo as suggested.

Welcome to SigTalk. Greetings from the flat lands of Kansas.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Having shot Colt 1911s for 48 years (started shooting one at age 7 so I am not a real old fart) 90% FTF can be traced back to the magazine. Have you taken the magazine apart to clean and lube? I clean mine with Gun Scrubber then I spray a very light coating of Rem oil on the spring and follower before reassembly. I will also load the mags and let them sit for two days when they are new to set the spring before I shoot.

I am new to the P320 so I do have limited knowledge and what works for a 1911 may not work at all for the 320 but thought it may help.

·
Registered
639 Posts
New here, from Dallas,

Thanks guys.
Drew
I have read many posts on other forums about the SIG ammo causing problems..Once they swapped to different ammo, all was good.

I use Blazer Brass 115/124gr for range visits.. Over 1300 rounds not one issue. For SD I use Federal Premium LE HST 147gr SP and have run 300 rounds through it with no issues.

I know the ammo I use is 9mm not .40 but the point is sometimes it's just the ammo that is the issue.

I would do as others have suggested and dump the SIG ammo and try a different brand.

Hope you get it figured out.. if not, give SIG a call and get it sent in for warranty work.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Could be.

Could also be a very tight extractor that is hanging up on the case rim.

When it jams, is the case rim already in the process of engaging the extractor?

My 320 in 45 had that problem when I got it. Tension was so tight you needed two fingers to slide a fresh cartridge into the extractor from below (slide off the weapon, of course). And at that, the force would usually cause the round to shoot out the top of the slide

I have a 250 that SIG fixed due to well known early extractor problems, and I compared the tension and clearance between the claw and the both face and it was much tighter. (They set the claw clearance pretty close to Kuhnhausen's recommended 0.075").

I did my own adjustments to match the 250 and 100% flawless after that.

Another thing I noticed is that as cases get fired and reloaded a number of times, the front surface of the case rim can get scored as it travels past the extractor in feeding to the point that it can hang up. I notice with these rounds that I can feel some resistance as I slide them under the shell plate on my Dillon on the way to resizing and repriming.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As others have said. Try some cheap ball ammo. Both my 9 and 40 get a steady diet of it with no issues . Maybe hit feed ramp with a hand polish. I do that on all my weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife and I have 5 P320s. Full, Carry, Compact, Sub-C and X carry. All 9mm. 4 worked flawlessly. But the compact kept having failure to eject problems. Contacted SIG who went through the list of causes from grip to ammo (had to be my fault). But even SIG acknowledged that since my grip was OK on the other 4 P320s, and my ammo was OK for the other 4 P320s that they might need to take a look. Sent it in, month later, got it back, no more FTEs.

We are now a 100% SIG family with 13 SIG pistols and waiting for our P365. Have been with SIGs for 35 years. I still have 2 West German SIGs (220 & 226). SIGs were absolutely better 35 years ago than today. But obviously we are still fans of the brand. Still, just like our Toyotas, sometimes something goes wrong with the product that is not our fault. Don’t like it. But as long as SIG steps up and fixes the problem.......

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Drew its hard to second guess a guy using only one brand of ammo with out seeing if its an ammo related issue . Plunk test any new ammo as even a lot number change can change how reliable it is and sig chambers are tighter than some like gluck and m&p . Start off by buying some premium 165gr ammo like lawman or Federal tactical EFMJ to try , or there HP versions but no sig ammo again at least till you run other brands thru it and prove it to be reliable . Get you some cheap Nitrile gloves , Good for keeping hands clean when cleaning anything and they increase grip control , just in case ! Take a buddy you respect as a shooter . That person may see something or have different shooter results from you and number your mags so you can prof those too . MY EDC is a p320c 40sw with a small compact module with a little over 4400 rounds fired reliably . Ammo has been the same ole home rolled 155gr coated swc 1280fps load I've used for years and a factory loaded 155 gd at just over 1300fps for carry . Zero issues in the 3 years I've had it .

Only other ammo I have tried is a 180gr federal le hst and it ran fine too .

If you still have issues send it home for some TLC . Not a big deal really . Any company builds as many handguns as sig does will have the occasional turd get out the door . Deal with it .

·
Registered
409 Posts

New here, from Dallas,

Thanks guys.

Drew

My p320c 9mm was flawless before the upgrade.

My p320c .40 was ammo sensitive. It never worked right with Perfecta ammunition. It usually couldn’t get through a magazine before a round would get stuck going into the chamber.

No other brand of .40 ammo has given me trouble, so I stopped trying to feed it Perfecta. I use the cheap Perfecta in my Gen 4 Glock 23 and 27 with no problems.

Some guns just don’t like some ammo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife and I have 5 P320s. Full, Carry, Compact, Sub-C and X carry. All 9mm. 4 worked flawlessly. But the compact kept having failure to eject problems. Contacted SIG who went through the list of causes from grip to ammo (had to be my fault). But even SIG acknowledged that since my grip was OK on the other 4 P320s, and my ammo was OK for the other 4 P320s that they might need to take a look. Sent it in, month later, got it back, no more FTEs.

We are now a 100% SIG family with 13 SIG pistols and waiting for our P365. Have been with SIGs for 35 years. I still have 2 West German SIGs (220 & 226). SIGs were absolutely better 35 years ago than today. But obviously we are still fans of the brand. Still, just like our Toyotas, sometimes something goes wrong with the product that is not our fault. Don’t like it. But as long as SIG steps up and fixes the problem.......

How’d or what did they fix? Or did they even bother to tell you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Failure To Feed Solution

I recently purchased a new full size P320 .45 and it was plagued with failure to feeds. On average, 3 out of the 10 rounds in each magazine load would fail. I tried multiple ammo brands and bullet types to no avail.

I carefully examined how the bullet was jammed and to my untrained eye, it appeared the distance between the extractor claw and the breech face was to small. I pushed an empty shell casing into position on the breech face and found some resistance but I did not think it excessive. After determining the cost of a new extractor, and deciding I could afford ruining mine, I took a file to it and added a very slight bevel on the claw. My goal was to remove some material to allow the shell casing to not bind against the extractor as it slid up the breech face and then into battery.
After two iterations of removing more material from the claw, I seem to have found the proper bevel shape. I was able to run 150 rounds (3 different brands) through the gun without a single FTF. All rounds ejected properly as well.

My shade-tree-gunsmithing seems to have solved the problem. Whether this is a long term solution remains to be determined though. I thought I would share my success in the hopes it would help somebody else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts