SIG Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[ATTA IMG_2272.jpg CH]127210[/ATTACH]Just got a P320 full size couple weeks ago and mags have a square notch on the bottom, the two factory mags I just got from Sig today have round holes, so I'm assuming Sig upgraded mags, however all after market products I see have round holes. Any body else seen the square notch mags?

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Welcome to SigTalk Charles. My full size 320 came with the round holes in the bottom of the mags. They say made in USA as well. I believe that I read here that there are some Italian made Sig mags as well. Both seem quite functional. Congrats on your 320fs. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. Greetings from the flat lands of Kansas.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Nice, congrats on the new piece, and big welcome from MO!

Interesting. All of mine have round holes too.

Also, like olbriar said, there are both US and Italian mags floating around. I've got a mix of both in my collection. Almost identical. The US mags have larger lettering on them. Personally, I think the Italian mags have a better finish - comparison based on touch and a few years of wear.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with the P320 X Carry. I saw posts mentioning that new 21 round mags have changed to be compatible with the X five so maybe new 17 round mags have been updated as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,632 Posts
Just got a P320 full size couple weeks ago and mags have a square notch on the bottom, the two factory mags I just got from Sig today have round holes, so I'm assuming Sig upgraded mags, however all after market products I see have round holes. Any body else seen the square notch mags?
Welcome to Sig Talk from the southwest corner of Indiana.
Pictures would be an asset, to insure everyone is on the same page, with your inquiry. I believe the assumption is the notches you are referring to, are where the "insert" protrudes through the baseplate, for disassembly.
I guess it would depend on the size, whether a round peg will fit into a square notch, or vise versa... and I am not making light of your inquiry!

·
Registered
79 Posts
16 Aug 2016 9mm Full Size 17rd USA: round hole
Various 2016/2017 9mm Compact USA/Italy: round hole
24 Mar 2017 P320 X5 9mm 21rd Italy: square hole

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,632 Posts
Charles19, appreciate the photos, and my thoughts of the square peg into the round hole are have been trounced.
I question if this may have something to do with the new military contract, making it easier for troops to disassemble the magazines for cleaning.
Your original inquiry due to aftermarket base pads having the round port, appears that a source for the older style inserts will be needed, as I imagine they will be interchangeable.
Magazines made in Italy, are normally by Mec-Gar, but I have not seen Mec-Gar offer any 250/320 magazines commercially, so I don't know if they will supply repair parts for Sig Branded magazines they manufacture.
Send them an email at the following and ask...
Mec-Gar Magazines

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone taken the P320 full size 45 acp 10 round magazine apart and noticed how long the coil is where it attaches to the base plate catch? If there were less coils, ie. like the PPQ 45 acp mag, I believe the magazine would easily hold (12) rounds.

It is just my opinion, but this was mfg. intentionally this way to avoid having any hicap magazine issues.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have 4 Mags with mine. All Made in Italy. Two that came with the gun have square holes. Two I bought later separately. One is square, the other round. I'm guessing they switched to round. Just don't mix them up or you'll be stuck putting a square peg in a round hole!

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I have 4 Mags with mine. All Made in Italy. Two that came with the gun have square holes. Two I bought later separately. One is square, the other round. I'm guessing they switched to round. Just don't mix them up or you'll be stuck putting a square peg in a round hole!
jamppp,
The square hole baseplates are the newer design, and the round hole are the older. But there are still brand new, "old style" p320 mags in some gun shops. The squares will work in all p320 platforms, but the rounds will need the "wings" cut/ground off to fit in the X-Series p320 pistols.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts