SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

New P229 1 out of 10 rating

16K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Mickey 
#1 ·
I have to say, Sig is no longer on my Xmas list. I have had this new p229 for a month and have yet to put 10 rounds through it without double feeding. It has been back to the factory where they replaced a "defective" extractor spring and supposedly test fired 50 rounds without an issue. I just got it back today. 2nd round jammed and then about every 3rd round jammed. Multiple types of ammo, multiple clips and multiple shooters including range employees that didn't believe it. Back it goes to Sig.
I would not recommend this gun to anyone.

#4 · (Edited)
Was the gun fired by multiple people the second time you got it back. I doubt limp wrist because others fired and gun malfunctioned. BUT it could be the limp wrist. Also with my Walther PPQ I left the mags full for a couple weeks because I had 'heard' that the mag springs would double feed on BNIB PPQs. Maybe Sig used their mags and not yours. They will get it right (eventually). But I'd be a lil ****** too. Good luck!

Could be the mags.

#8 ·
I have a 229 9mm I bought some months ago.

Easily the best pistol I've ever shot.

One single failure to feed on the first outing, but only because I let it get too dry. A single failure in what must be approaching 750 rounds by now is pretty good in my book.

On the other hand, your experience is different. I feel for you, and it has to sour you on what I've seen to be the best pistol out there.

#9 · (Edited)
Limp wristing is possible, but I think the 229 is less effected by it, than smaller lighter guns.
Take your time and see if the range can help you nail down what is happening. I think Sig service is effected by the info we give them. If they ID the problem they will fix it, but they don't spend much time experimenting or testing.
If you tried multiple magazines with little difference, I would wonder about the recoil spring.
If you suspect it, Sig will send you one to test it.
Good luck with it, and patience with persistence will get you a good gun. Later you will enjoy it.

#10 ·
does it have the large or small extractor?

i have one with the small extractor and worked fine for me so far, but only put 100 rounds through it. and i unknowingly ran it without oiling it after i got it. i know i know. i won't doing that anymore, but still ran fine so far.

i've heard that the large extractor models have been having some issues.

#13 ·
The 229 is world class, but it seems you got a lemon. I'd ask Sig for a new one.

#31 ·
I've got a few P229's and haven't had a single issue. I'd trust my family's protection with them.

With that being said, even the best will make the occasional lemon. It has to be incredibly frustrating. Hope Sig just replaces as suggested by DBS.

#14 ·
Sig has just flat out been having a lot of quality control issues it seems. It is what it is I reckon. Sig, imo, should tighten up and be the co. of old. What they used to be. So many threads about qc issues. I realize that there are gonna be lemmons in every co. But, I think the worst thing we can do is sugar coat it if in fact it is just poor quality control. Reputation will only go so far. From what the OP has stated, it seems to me that Sig is evidentally not not doing something right.......theres no reason why a brand new Sig Sauer P229 should not run like a top outta the box. Especially so after coming back from Sig. I don't know fellas, maybe Ive just saw too many qc threads lately.....

#16 ·
Did you strip the packing oil and then properly lube it? Did you make sure to get some lube in the extractor area?

On quality... the internet is where people go when they have a problem with their purchase; all the people w/o problems don't say anything and thus the number of problems seems high. Like when I bought my water heater... seemed to be hundreds of complaints, but then again millions sold...

#17 ·
I bought a lightly used P229 Equinox on Gunbroker and it wouldnt feed even one shell. I tried different ammo, different mags, still no good. I sent it back to Sig, costed me $150 for the overhaul, they said they found nothing, but now it works perfectly??????

#18 ·
I had two used Sigs an older C3 and a new 938. Sig worked on both no charge. They will start off talking charging, but if you stand your ground and say the gun has a problem Sig will fix it.

#20 ·
Don't hear about a lot of problems with the 229 (unlike the 938/238, 290...). Not that it should make you feel better about yours.

I'm curious about the nature of your failures; "double feed" isn't a term I'm used to hearing. Is that two live rounds trying to feed at the same time?

#22 · (Edited)
Went to the range couple of days ago to shoot my new P229 Elite Dark in 9mm and had 3 failure to extract with 100 rds of WWB 115 grain. Tried Remington 115 grain and 147 grain with 50 rds of each and not a single malfunction. I don't know. Maybe a bad ammo? I still have to shoot more to see and if problems continuos I guess I have to call Sig. I'm still in the break in period. I hope it goes away because it is unacceptable.

#33 ·
I'd say bad ammo. I shot my M11-A1 last week had many failures to extract with WWB 115g. Shot 100 rnds of Blazer Brass right after and had zero issues.

WWB sucks. It's not worth the price if it won't function. My P226 will eat it, but the 226 seems to be a freak of nature LOL.

#25 ·
It's a shame you're having trouble with your 229, it's a damn fine shootin' firearm.

#26 · (Edited)
Did you call Sig???? What did they say?

I cant even get either of my P229 to malfunction. I have tried and it feeds everything, limp wrist,etc...

#28 ·
I know how you feel. When you spend that kind of money for 'the best' it should function flawlessly. Mine didn't have feeding issues but it did have sighting issues. I was very impressed with Sigs service and I am confident they will get you taken care of.

#29 ·
Can't tell you how frustrated I was with my 938 - but after a few trips, Sig squared it away & it rocks now. Be patient. Sig's good stuff - not because we simply say so, but as evidenced by so many Federal Law Enforcement Agencies making Sig their choice for primary and backup service weapons.

I was really concerned about buying an Ultra 1911 because chopped 1911s are notorious for problems. After my experiences with Sig CS making my 938 right, I confidently bought a Sig Ultra 1911 3 months ago and haven't even fired it yet. _IF_ I have a problem, I know Sig will fix it.

My point: be patient.

Take care,
Rich

#30 ·
3 months and you haven't shot it yet. Sir you need to priortize. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.