SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a new P226 MK25 with a manufacture date of this month. It must be literally off the line.

What is the barrel construction used on this gun. I know internals are phosphated.

The muzzle has a thin silver ring around the rifling on the inside facet of the crown.

Are these lined multi-piece barrels? Is this something relating to the phosphate finish?

Thanks,

Marc

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I believe those are chrome lined. That's what you see as the silver ring.
Correct. Phosphate coated barrel with chrome lining. You can expect some pretty quick wear on the external barrel surfaces where lockup and slide interference occur. But boy, do I love my MK25s! :)

Reactions: jwperry and mrerick

·
Registered
21,595 Posts
^What they said. 😁
To clarify, that is not a barrel lining. They are single piece barrels. Just have a hard chrome finish in the bore, like an AR-15 barrel, with a phosphate coating on the exterior.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent. Thanks for the info and clarification. Beautiful pistol... Can't wait to get it out to the range.

It's even got a very good trigger right out of the box.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,802 Posts
The hard chrome finish is "harder" than the barrel steel itself, including the chamber. This is a situation where even steel cased ammunition wouldn't have much of an effect. The phosphate finish holds lubricant well, that's why it's the choice of the military!

Reactions: bhrees and mrerick

·
Registered
980 Posts
The hard chrome finish is "harder" than the barrel steel itself, including the chamber. This is a situation where even steel cased ammunition wouldn't have much of an effect. The phosphate finish holds lubricant well, that's why it's the choice of the military!
Cliff is that you?....lol. I must be a sad sick person Willard because I look for your historical and hysterical comments. Love MK25's

·
Registered
9 Posts
Excellent. Thanks for the info and clarification. Beautiful pistol... Can't wait to get it out to the range.

It's even got a very good trigger right out of the box.
Mk 25 is wonderful, I love mine. You may want to add the SRT, unless you are trying to keep the MK25 the same as when it was born. I upgraded to the SRT and also put a low profile slide release on it. I was riding the slide release and wouldnt get lock open on last shot. The release design is superior to 1911s during reloads since its easy to access with strong side thumb but the flip side is its easy to ride that and cause the slide to not lock back.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I second the installation of the SRT. I installed one on mine and it's great. Plus all my other P226/P229s have the SRT so I wanted it to be the same. Now if I could only decide on the standard trigger versus the short reach trigger that is on some of my SIGs. I like the looks of the short reach trigger but haven't determined if it makes a difference to my shooting or not. I'll probably leave the triggers stock but the SRT is a must for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts