SIG Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new SM SAO has some issues. I called Sig when I got it home and started playing around with it...take down for cleaning and inspection. I ended up not cleaning it, left all original lube on it. Haven't fired it yet either. The thumb safety is horrendous! It takes two fingers and a modified hold to put it on safe. It comes off safe a little easier...sometimes!
The take down lever swings freely (with the slide off) for almost an 1/8 turn/rotation at the down position. No resistance as in my old Match SAO. This has something to do with the lever wanting to spring back up to the locked/fire position when the slide is retracted from slide lock, as if to take the slide off. That action also requires a modified hold and creative use of several fingers. The trigger pull is quite a bit heavier and it has longer reset than my old 220 Match SAO (internal extractor) too.

So today, I decide to check it out again. After deciding that it still has the same issues (surprise?), I call Sig to return it for service. As I explain dissatisfaction with this "Custom Shop" pistol, he tells me that the Custom Shop logo only means that there were suggestions from the custom shop, concerning design features!!:confused:

What in the H E double hockey sticks does that mean??? I can't believe that line of BS rolled off his tongue so effortlessly. What does the Custom Shop do, after all? Make suggestions? Paid consultants I presume!
WOW, just wow!
So, this makes two, two in a row, $1k plus Sig pistols for me that have what I would call serious defects. My first (last Sig purchase) was when my Legion SAO shattered it's extractor after just 160 factory rounds.
I think I am done with all new Sig pistols. I will only consider Pre-2007 guns from now on. Why 2007? I have several from before that and have had ZERO issues. With the exception of a few other newer Sigs, with very few rounds thru them, my post 2007 guns have had issues. Few, but more than the pre-2007's have had.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you need decent gunsmithing SIG work, send your gun to SIG's "Custom Shop".

If you really need custom work done to your gun, send it to The Sig Armorer or Grayguns.

·
Registered
23,647 Posts
The "Custom Shop" is a fancy way of saying, they do things not part of the standard production models.

They take slides off to one side and smooth off the corners for the SAS models.
Or they take slides off to one side and grind the flats down for the Equinox models.

Then they engrave the fancy Custom Shop logo on the side of the slide.

Interestingly, when I sent my new P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 in to see what was wrong (just the bent trigger guard), it was sent to the Custom Shop. I also noticed when I got it back that they had polished the inside of the frame that the trigger bar slides against.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
IMO the "Custom Shop" logo is simply a cosmetic feature denoting certain other cosmetic features.

The Custom Shop guns are assembled on the line alongside all the others.

Reactions: Ceapea and sigke

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my 220 SM back today. Really, very fast service. I sent it in on the 5th, so 10 days total turn around.
The take down lever now works correctly, the thumb safety is absolutely great. The trigger (they said it was in spec, but adjusted it as a courtesy) is the same at 5# 11 oz, over 6 pull ave. Oh well, at least it is shoot-able now.

As a side, I ordered a 357 Sig barrel for my '96 P229 in 40. I found a deal on a new Sig brand barrel for $127 shipped. It was $135-ish, minus 7% discount from a previous order, and free shipping. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Got my 220 SM back today. Really, very fast service. I sent it in on the 5th, so 10 days total turn around.
The take down lever now works correctly, the thumb safety is absolutely great. The trigger (they said it was in spec, but adjusted it as a courtesy) is the same at 5# 11 oz, over 6 pull ave. Oh well, at least it is shoot-able now.

As a side, I ordered a 357 Sig barrel for my '96 P229 in 40. I found a deal on a new Sig brand barrel for $127 shipped. It was $135-ish, minus 7% discount from a previous order, and free shipping. Not bad at all.
Great to hear you got the 220 back with issues resolved. I have several SIG firearms and never had to ship one back for factory service until I purchased a P320 RX that had a loose front sight. SIG took care of the problem promptly. Overall, I am very satisfied with all my SIGs and with their customer service! Anyway, enjoy that P220 and let us know how she behaves at the range. A P220 Legion is on my radar.....

Reactions: Ceapea
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.