SIG Talk banner

New P220 SSE 10MM what Ammo

3258 12
Purchased Me a P220 SSE 10 MM this past Sunday at the Houston Gun Show.
Got lucky and found a deal on Remingtom UMC ammo at Target Sports USA for less that $19.00 a box of 50 plus free shipping on 500 rounds,

Was wondering what Ammo do You people that have a Sig 10MM pistol use for target practice ?

Saw several other brands listed but much more expensive.
Saw both Federal AE and the White box with the Black lettering but both were
more that Remingtom UMC. Also The Remington was more expensive at every where else than Target Sports USA.

Have not decided on SD Ammo yet but am considering one of the Hornadys
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,653 Posts
The SIG Sauer Elite 180gr FMJ is excellent practice ammo. Great price and it is within 50fps of the same load from Underwood.

For other, super-hot 10mm loads, Underwood has you covered with many options. Including self-defense rounds.

Great stuff!

All the major brands that sell "10mm" are "10mm" only in name and case length. They are all "down-loaded" to .40 S&W pressures.

·
Registered
17,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The SIG Sauer Elite 180gr FMJ is excellent practice ammo. Great price and it is within 50fps of the same load from Underwood.

For other, super-hot 10mm loads, Underwood has you covered with many options. Including self-defense rounds.

Great stuff!

All the major brands that sell "10mm" are "10mm" only in name and case length. They are all "down-loaded" to .40 S&W pressures.
Did not see the Underwood listed on any of the sites.Did see the Sig Ammo though.
Thanks for the info.

At the GS the Remington UMC was going for $45.00 plus a box and the Hornady(20) for
$30.00 plus a box.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
So far, my 10mm two tone DA/SA has fired every ammo I have fed it without a hitch. As @GoneBallisticInAlabama said, most of what I have found in stores is .40-like. Buffalo Bore and Underwood have been more "exhilarating" to shoot.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a 220 hunter in 10 mm and shoot either Sig or Buffalo bore. It's a little higher but as previously mentioned if you shoot some of the run of the cheap stuff you might as well be shooting a .40. Congrats on a fine purchase, you will like it for sure.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Congrats on your new P220 10mm!! I've run Hornady, Federal, SIG, Freedom & some Underwood ammo, since adding my 220 10mm last December. My fav range ammo is SIG's 180g FMJ. At ~$0.50/rd it's not the cheapest, but feels lively shooting and runs pretty clean.

Sig Sauer Elite Performance 10mm 180GR FMJ 50Rds

This 10mm's defensive mission is backcountry carry here in Colorado, where some large-boned critters live. This role calls for a hard hitting round with BIG penetration. So, all those fancy hollow points need not apply.

My current carry ammo is Underwood's 165g flat nose FMJ. At ~$062/rd, it's not gonna brake-the-bank, and its Speer Bonded Full Metal Jacket bullet is well rated to hold together - and go deep.

https://underwoodammo.com/shop/10mm-auto-165-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50/

Cheers

·
Registered
17,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats on your new P220 10mm!! I've run Hornady, Federal, SIG, Freedom & some Underwood ammo, since adding my 220 10mm last December. My fav range ammo is SIG's 180g FMJ. At ~$0.50/rd it's not the cheapest, but feels lively shooting and runs pretty clean.

Sig Sauer Elite Performance 10mm 180GR FMJ 50Rds

This 10mm's defensive mission is backcountry carry here in Colorado, where some large-boned critters live. This role calls for a hard hitting round with BIG penetration. So, all those fancy hollow points need not apply.

My current carry ammo is Underwood's 165g flat nose FMJ. At ~$062/rd, it's not gonna brake-the-bank, and its Speer Bonded Full Metal Jacket bullet is well rated to hold together - and go deep.

https://underwoodammo.com/shop/10mm-auto-165-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50/

Cheers
Thanks/
I went to My local Academy and purchased two boxes of the Sig ammo at $28.00 a box
and I have 500 rounds of Remington UMC coming from Target Sports USA.
GBIA also suggested the Underwoods. I'm going to try Winchester Silvertip and Cor-Bon for Self Defense.
After reading up on the velocity I'm not planning on doing mush target practice other than seeing how the pistol works. The recoil sounds wicked. Do not know it I will be up to it what with a dislocated crooked pinky finger on My right hand.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Purchased Me a P220 SSE 10 MM this past Sunday at the Houston Gun Show.
Got lucky and found a deal on Remingtom UMC ammo at Target Sports USA for less that $19.00 a box of 50 plus free shipping on 500 rounds,

Was wondering what Ammo do You people that have a Sig 10MM pistol use for target practice ?

Saw several other brands listed but much more expensive.
Saw both Federal AE and the White box with the Black lettering but both were
more that Remingtom UMC. Also The Remington was more expensive at every where else than Target Sports USA.

Have not decided on SD Ammo yet but am considering one of the Hornadys
You should try the SIG ammo that's ball for 10mm. You'll like it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just scored a couple hundred rounds of the Sig Elite 180gr FMJ for my P220 10mm Hunter.

Nothing says 10mm like handloaded 200 grain flatpoints on top of almost 11 grains of AA#7 doing 1250 fps.

So true!

Handload your own or buy Serbian or South African bulk ammo. But 10mm was designed for 200 grain rounds.:p

·
Registered
23,653 Posts
I just scored a couple hundred rounds of the Sig Elite 180gr FMJ for my P220 10mm Hunter.

Nothing says 10mm like handloaded 200 grain flatpoints on top of almost 11 grains of AA#7 doing 1250 fps.

So true!

Handload your own or buy Serbian or South African bulk ammo. But 10mm was designed for 200 grain rounds.:p
Even if I didn't suffer chronic pain 24/7/365 (where it is so bad sometimes I can hardly live with it), I still wouldn't have time to load my own ammo.

So, I buy Underwood. Just ordered some more for further testing. Among it, I ordered some of their 220 gr hard cast, flat-nosed to test in my 6" 1911. 1200 fps, 703 ft. lbs.

Mostly got the lighter-weight loads. I like the test results I've seen on their 180 gr with Speer Gold Dot bullets. Performs really well for a self defense load. 1300 fps, 676 ft. lbs.

I also like their 165gr Gold Dots. 1400 fps, 718 ft. lbs.

I also ordered some of their .357 Magnum loads to test. 125gr Speer Gold Dots at 1700 fps, 802 ft. lbs.! I am going to test them in my Henry lever action. I saw a test online where someone chrono'ed those at over 1,900 fps in a lever action carbine. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.