SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who had this problem recently?

Having issues with my brand new P220 SAS Gen 2 Carry failing to drop the hammer.

Found this. :mad:

The magazine body seems to be pressing on the inside face of the trigger bar towards the front, allowing the tab on the trigger bar to slip past the one on the sear. Happens to some degree with any magazine I try (I have quite a few).

Different magazines can make it better/worse.
Some mags make it happen with every (attempted) shot.
With no magazine, the trigger bar engages the sear's tab 100% of the time, but it is "on the edge".

Didn't someone have this problem recently? I know someone had a trigger bar slipping past the hammer pivot pin. But I thought someone had this issue? I cannot find it.

Hammer no fall and go boom. :(

I'm going to send this one in to have it examined and see exactly what is out of spec. It may be a simple trigger bar swap or it could be something else throwing the trigger bar out of alignment.

EDIT TO ADD: Funny thing is, it only happened a couple of times before I change the grips. It had the E2 grips and I installed the slim-fit polymer panels. No way I could have bent that trigger bar with the E2 grip tool. My guess is that the E2 grip was pressing in on that trigger bar some, helping it to engage better.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Long shot and a guess.

Is is possible that the grip screw on the left panel is pushing the magazine inward towards the right side ?
In your picture I can't see if the grip panel is on or off.

Others more knowledgeable will probably chime in. Good luck.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,041 Posts

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you put the E2 grips back on and see if the problem goes away?

Ron
Hell no, I ain't putting those things back on. :D

Aside from being a real witch to get on/off (on the P220 especially), they screw up my aim.

Reactions: winterwar

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Long shot and a guess.

Is is possible that the grip screw on the left panel is pushing the magazine inward towards the right side ?
In your picture I can't see if the grip panel is on or off.

Others more knowledgeable will probably chime in. Good luck.
No, the lock washers that came with the P220 grip panels keep the screws from penetrating into the mag well.

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the other recent post!!

A P220 after the owner installed the SRT kit.

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/148842-p220-srt-post-upgrade-woes.html

I'll have to examine mine after work (if I feel like it - I'm trying to cough up a lung today) and see if my hammer pivot is off-center. I do not like the idea of "moving it as far to the right as I thought I could get away with" (see the thread at the link above).

·
Registered
496 Posts
No, the lock washers that came with the P220 grip panels keep the screws from penetrating into the mag well.
If you own another p220 you might want to swap trigger bars to see if it works.
If not, still remove the trigger bar and inspect it to see that it was not bent or damaged by the E2 grip removal tool. Good luck.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hell no, I ain't putting those things back on. :D

Aside from being a real witch to get on/off (on the P220 especially), they screw up my aim.
:D I took my P220 SAS Carry E2 grips off as well. They are a pain to get off even with the tool...I can relate. I went with the Hogue American checkered grips. Works well for me.

Ron

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you own another p220 you might want to swap trigger bars to see if it works.
If not, still remove the trigger bar and inspect it to see that it was not bent or damaged by the E2 grip removal tool. Good luck.
Considering the thickness of the trigger bar, I don't see any way the E2 tool did it. I found a couple of other cases where someone had the same problem with a .45 SIG either with factory SRT or after installing the SRT.

I know I could replace parts and no doubt fix it, but I think on this one, I'm going to send it in just in case something else is out of spec and throwing the trigger bar out of correct alignment.

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:D I took my P220 SAS Carry E2 grips off as well. They are a pain to get off even with the tool...I can relate. I went with the Hogue American checkered grips. Works well for me.

Ron
No kidding! They came off easy on other P-series SIGs! I needed three hands! I had to hold the muzzle end between my knees. :lol: A male version of the "Thigh Master". :lol: :lol:

I'm so accustomed to shooting SIGs with standard grip contours that I just cannot get good accuracy with the ergo grips. This P220, a P227, a P229. I have to put grips on with a contour like the rest of my SIGs. In this case, I just went inexpensive to begin with and installed the two-piece slim-fit grip panels. I was hitting the bullseye with it after that.

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I received a RMA to return the P220.

(sniff)

·
Registered
821 Posts
No problems here with my P220 SAS. The trigger bar would have to really be out of whack to slip past the tab on the sear. I can't even force it...

It took me about 30 minutes to remove the E2 grip on my SAS, but it got easier after doing 2 more P220's. No way I would put them back on either!

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No problems here with my P220 SAS. The trigger bar would have to really be out of whack to slip past the tab on the sear. I can't even force it...

It took me about 30 minutes to remove the E2 grip on my SAS, but it got easier after doing 2 more P220's. No way I would put them back on either!
The CS guy thinks that the trigger bar is bent. But it could be an out-of-spec tab on the sear.

It is going back today as I want them to examine it to determine if something else is out-of-spec and causing the trigger bar to be out of alignment with the sear tab.

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was shipped on the afternoon of the 16th (a Tuesday) and it arrived home early afternoon on the 25th (a Thursday). They replaced a bent trigger bar and tested it. I sent it in dirty and got it back dirtier. :D I have to clean it.

I'm thinking I accidentally bent the trigger bar with the E2 grip tool but I'm not sure. They replaced it under warranty and shipped it home. I have my new carry back and hope to test it out again this weekend.

I have a lot of single-stack mags to load. :huh:

Reactions: winterwar

·
Registered
496 Posts
It was shipped on the afternoon of the 16th (a Tuesday) and it arrived home early afternoon on the 25th (a Thursday). They replaced a bent trigger bar and tested it. I sent it in dirty and got it back dirtier. :D I have to clean it.

I'm thinking I accidentally bent the trigger bar with the E2 grip tool but I'm not sure. They replaced it under warranty and shipped it home. I have my new carry back and hope to test it out again this weekend.

I have a lot of single-stack mags to load. :huh:
That was a simple solution to a big worrisome problem.
Take plenty of ammo to the range and enjoy it.
Let us know how good it handles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.