SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
And the weight is listed the same as the alloy frame P938s as well . . . Dang. Guess we can hope that it's SS and they just screwed up the description - I won't be holding my wallet and hoping though.

Plus, if it really was stainless, I would not want them to PVD coat it for fear it would shed it's skin like a Legion.

·
🎖USA Veteran
12,077 Posts
The 2015 catalog described the P938 HD NI as:

P938 HD NICKEL 9mm 6 NEW
` Nickel PVD Stainless Steel Slide and Frame
` Custom Blackwood Medallion Grips ` Black Controls
` SIGLITE Night Sights

The SIG web site describes the P938 ASE Micro-Compact as:

Our P238-inspired 9mm, featuring a stainless PVD frame and slide with Walnut grips.

I think the P938 HD NI is an all stainless steel frame and slide (like the P238 HD) with PVD applied nickel finish. The P938 ASE is a stainless slide and alloy frame with a PVD applied stainless steel finish just like the other "ASE" models that are being introduced.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Memory tells me they had listed it as 21.7 or something close to that. Based upon my 238HD, that's probably not far off. I still hope the 938HD will appear and will buy one...maybe two. Who knows? In the meantime, I have been very happy with the P290rs, a horse of an entirely different color but a good ride, nonetheless.

·
🎖USA Veteran
12,077 Posts
Memory tells me they had listed it as 21.7 or something close to that.
As far back as 2012 that I'm aware of, the P938 owners manual (Sec 13.1 P938 Specifications) listed the alloy frame model as 16 oz. and the stainless steel model as 21 oz.

It was seeing that reference in the manual when I got my first P938 that started me longing for the full stainless model...and still longing for it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It surely was! What's your point?

Note; my snarky comment is directed at the "SIG Vaporware Catalog" and not your post. No disrespect intended towards you. SIG on the other hand...
I know. Sig treats new guns like auto companies do with concept cars but at least consumers know that concept cars are just that, concepts.

I was hot for the 938 HD when the 2015 catalog was out and then they had one at Shot Show. Then, nothing. Oh well.

I am going on four years with my 938, great pistol. I think a stainless version would be such a sweet shooter with that extra 4 ounces yet still a breeze to carry.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I ran into the same thing earlier this week with a Colt Defender that was listed as having a stainless frame. I was interested in these TALO editions and checked further into the matter....yup, allow frame that was had "stainless" colored Cerakote applied.

The confusion there was on the part of a few sellers....this "stainless" P938 confusion didn't even make it that far.:p Glad the knowledgeable folks here shed some light on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does a pvd coated aluminum frame, or a cerakoted aluminum frame for that matter, wear any better or worse than a traditional anodized aluminum frame? Thinking specifically of the slide rails.

Does the pvd or cerakote replace anodizing or is it applied in addition to anodizing?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.