SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

New member with P290RS questions

901 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  olbriar 
#1 ·
I'm a newbie here, and just bought my first Sig. I picked up a new P290RS .380 for summer carry. I love the size and weight of the gun over the small pocket .380s, and even with the long heavy trigger pull, it's very accurate and fun to shoot.

The first 100 rounds (Federal & Winchester Target ammo) didn't go well; one failure to feed after another. I couldn't get through a mag without having to push the slide into battery. This was partially my fault as I didn't clean the gun beforehand. After a good cleaning, the next 100 ran better; I had 1 or 2 failures every other mag or so. After reading this thread, I'll try cleaning the mag.

Just wondering how many rounds should I run before it will function 100%? I've been shooting for 50 years, and have never had this problem with any of my other pistols. My Beretta 85F .380 was 100% reliable out of the box, and so were all my 9mm guns. I really like the 290, but I won't carry it 'til I can trust it. Due to arthritis, I can't handle a small 9mm any more without some pain, and I won't carry anything I can't practice with, so I'm hoping this gun works out.

I'll take the mag apart, clean it, and shoot some more tomorrow - we'll see how that goes. I'd appreciate any advice you guys have to give.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I just purchased a P290RS in 9mm. Took it out for a shoot and put 150 rounds through it without a single malfunction. I used the cheapest white box Winchester and Federal ammunition that I had. I believe that some firearms are ammo sensitive, but from what I've read the 290 should be pretty reliable right out of the box. Try some different ammo, especially the type you plan on carrying and keep us informed on your progress.
I bought the 290 because I am new to CHL and like the fact that it has a long/heavy trigger pull as that makes it much safer for carry (for me). After hearing about an accident at a local shooting range involving a shooter that inadvertently shot himself (he was using an inner waistband appendix carry holster), I figure that the DAO with a long pull, heavy trigger is the way to go.
BTW- I own a Beretta 92FS and it will eat everything but the cheap Winchester white box ammo that my little Sig seems to shoot without any malfunctions. Go figure.

#4 ·
Welcome to both of you from the southwest corner of Indiana. In most cases, Sigs leave the factory with more "preservative", than "lubrication", including the magazines. It's best to clean "everything", and properly lubricate it "by the book". Normally "grease" where things "slide", and "oil" where they "pivot" or "turn"! Sigs, regardless of model, are normally fairly "tight" when new, and the springs are at their strongest. Break-in can take maybe as few as 300 rounds, or as many as 1000 rounds, but normally 500 should do it.
Normally if it's advertised as "Target" ammo, it is lower powered, and may not have enough energy to operate the pistol efficiently. Training, or Practice ammunition will be full metal jacketed, and will normally duplicate the same manufacturers hollow point / personal defense ammunition ballistics wise.

Reactions: Firearms Collector
#8 ·
Have the P290RS in 9mm three years now and love it. Never the slightest hiccup when using its standard 6 rd mag so its carried 6 + 1 plus extra 6 rd mag at all times. (No luck with the 8 rd extended mags as they seem to just drop from the gun while firing so I will never use them.)

I don't know how common the P290RS in .380 is in the wild. But I'm curious, so if you don't mind, I must ask: Why .380 when the gun is the same size in 9mm, a more powerful round and cheaper?

#9 ·
Wondering how things worked out for the OP?

I really like my P290 in 9mm but it's been back to Sig twice. First 500 rounds were okay but then the trigger began failing to reset. Sig fixed that. Then it began failing to extract. Sig replaced the extractor and the spring. I hope to test it soon.

The size of the gun is perfect for me and I'm doing a bit better now with the trigger. I really want this one to work out.

Dave

#10 · (Edited)
I have both a P290 9mm and an SP2022 since 2013. Both have been reliable. They are my guns of choice when traveling because I don't want to lose one of my classic Sigs to idiotic MA, CT, NY, NJ laws. I carry the P290 in hot weather and when canoe camping and pack the SP2022 when traveling through enemy states in the Northeast to get to free states. The P290 is easy to conceal in hot weather clothing and is reliable. The SP2022 is for cooler weather concealment and range use. When camping in the Great North Woods of Maine, I worry more about two legged predators than four legged ones, so 9mm meets my needs. While I am not a fan of the P290 DAO, I practice with it and can hit my target at any distance that would be required for defensive use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.