SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Recently got my CHL from Oregon and have been carrying the only small gun I own, a Walther PPK/S from the Interarms era. Its a beautiul piece that I bought from an FBI agent many moons ago (it was his backup gun). It was tuned by the FBI gunsmiths and shoots like a dream.

But now that I am carrying, I am concerned about all the wear on the Walther from daily carry and was trying to figure out what to get as a new carry piece, and I am looking at the P232 in stainless.

I know a lot of folks pooh-pooh the .380 ACP, but I want a gun that I will carry EVERYDAY. I own many semi-auto pistols: Colt, Browning, Beretta etc. in .45, 9mm and of course the Walther in .380.

After just a few weeks of trying things out, I came to the realization that if the gun isn't small enough, I just won't go through the hassle of carrying, and better to carry something, rather than nothing, hence the .380 and my consideration of the P232 as a replacement for my Walther.

My best friends carries the Walther PPS in .40 cal but for me that is still too big for concealed carry. I am a business professional and really don't want unsightly bulges/imprints on my attire. Untucked dress shirts are NOT an option for me, and unless I am visiting customers I don't wear a suit jacket all the time, so I decided to go the ankle holster route.

I briefly considered the new Springfield XDS in .45 but am really leaning towards the P232. If/when the XDS comes out in .40 cal or 9mm I may consider it.

So my question to all the members, since I am a newbie when it comes to SIGs, should I just get a brand new P232, or are there older versions out there that are a better deal, and potentially a better gun? Do they shoot great out of the box or do they need some gunsmithing?

Thanks!

馃帠USA Veteran
you're carrying something extremely decent, some problems have occurred with nib 232 stainless, do a "search" before making a decision.

the fbi history, a known quantity in terms of reliability, i'd live with the wear.

welcome from az.

Registered
Hello, tourproto, and welcome from Missouri to this great Sig forum. Good people and info here!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
you're carrying something extremely decent, some problems have occurred with nib 232 stainless, do a "search" before making a decision.

the fbi history, a known quantity in terms of reliability, i'd live with the wear.

welcome from az.
Well, I am currently carrying the PPK/S and may consider it long term, but the SIG is might pretty.

Did a search and found some threads with quality issues on NIB P232s but is there a difference in manufacturing between the current model and earlier models? There is an Exeter, NH stamp on the slide of the current gun. Are some P232s made here? Or is it an import stamp like the old "Interarms" stamp on the PPKs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.