SIG Talk banner

New LTC - Looking to Carry

1568 Views 16 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  AngeloG
Hey all,

I'm new here! My wife and I recently went to get our LTC, we received them back last week and took a ride up to Sig in Exeter on our first day with a LTC, the next day we went to the range and rented a P320 compact, Glock 19, P938, and later we rented an M&P the subcompact 9mm.

Initial impressions were that the gun that shot best for me was the 320. We both thought the 320 was the nicest of the 4. She was a bit shy of the 938 because it kicked more than the larger 320 and G19. After firing about 100 rounds on the M&P though, she said she would probably want to buy the 938 and she needs to get used to it.

We are looking to pick up our first guns for concealed carry. I will probably EDC, she may... depending on how comfortable it is. Like I said, she wants the 938 because it is going to be the only gun of the 4 she would be willing to carry and she thinks she can get used to it. I think we are settled on getting that, but I am going to have her put at least 50 rounds through the rental again before buying it.

As for me, I really liked the 320c but it is a bit larger for a CCW. I want a gun we can dual purpose for the range so the 320 is a bit more appealing for that reason. I feel like a second 938 would be a comfortable carry for me because I could literally hide is anywhere on me. The 320 would be a bit harder to conceal and I am afraid I wont want to carry it if I can't be comfortable. I am a T-Shirt and jeans and T-Shirt and shorts kind of guy. I guess I am looking for advice but in reality it seems I need to either compromise on my own CCW size and get the larger weapon, or compromise on not having a larger weapon for the range/house, or get 3...

I can afford all 3, but I don't want to just yet. And two 938's seems redundant for our newborn collection.

Options become;
A) buy 2 938's and a 320c, have all 3 we want.
B ) buy a 238, a 938 and a 320c... let wife decide which subcompact she prefers and I take the other with an optional 320c for either of us.
C) buy a 938 and 320c and try to carry the 320c, if it is too big... later get something smaller.

A bit winded, I hope you are still with me. Thanks for looking!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
14,244 Posts
Congrats and welcome to SIG Talk!

My recommendation to both of you would be to get some training from a proficient instructor on concealed carry. Find an instructor that has a variety of guns and holsters that you can use during the instruction. You will be able to get some good ideas of what does and doesn't work for you in this manner.

Not meant as an insult, but coming onto a web site and asking for advise of which gun to buy for concealed carry is like coming on and asking which pair of shoes you should buy. What fits you and your needs can only be determined by you. If you are looking for a pair of size 10 1/2 men's running shoes, my recommendation of a pair of Johnston and Murphy moc toes would be totally inappropriate.

The SIG Academy has some of the best instructors one can find. That just might be the place to start. Good luck! Be Safe!

· Registered
2,054 Posts
I have 30+ autos and still looking but let me tell you it's suppose to be comforting not comfortable, I wouldn't go with a micro gun like the 938 for the first time all around gun, the 320 is excellent CC weapon maybe look at the Sub compact 320, the S&W Compact is good too or the we all must have Glock 19, good luck on your search.

· Registered
3,759 Posts
I have 30+ autos and still looking but let me tell you it's suppose to be comforting not comfortable, I wouldn't go with a micro gun like the 938 for the first time all around gun, the 320 is excellent CC weapon maybe look at the Sub compact 320, the S&W Compact is good too or the we all must have Glock 19, good luck on your search.
I'm going to respectfully disagree. If a firearm cannot be comfortably carried, chances are it will eventually be left behind. One should always find what's most comfortable for them and then train to proficiency before venturing out.

· Registered
353 Posts
Welcome from SC by the Sea.
As stated above it's a very personal what works for Joe may be ridicules to me and what works for me may seem crazy to someone else.
You need to decide if you want to commit to a single stack (easier to conceal) or a double stack wider & heavier.
There are guys on forums that will tell you they have been carrying a full size Desert Eagle 50AE for the last twenty years with no problem concealing it, not for me. Then on the other end of the scale you have the mouse gun crowd a Seecamp 32 or 380 small enough to carry concealed in your Speedos, not quite but close.
I'm in SC so for me eleven + months out of the year is shorts and shirtsleeve button shirt and the gun that sees the most carry lately is a Kahr PM40, you may want to try a Glock 43 not expensive, easy to conceal light weight not much to not like it's a Glock.
My only thought on the 938 for a new shooter is the manual safety, it takes a lot of practice & training to develop the muscle memory to flip the safety off as you're bringing the gun from the holster to the ready position and the stress, adrenalin, and fear will be factors in you forgetting to take the safety off.
So for a first carry gun keep it simple something thats point & shoot work up to a safety later if you want but my recommendation is don't switch back and forth from a Glock to a model with a safety because you'll never remember which your carrying when you need it.
Try as many guns as you can in the category you looking for before you put your cash on the counter, used guns seldom make you money.

· Registered
520 Posts
Congrats on the License, and welcome!

There are tons of great choices out there for carry firearms, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a Sig. It is good to see that you have tried some different firearms and not blindly purchased something. This is a great start.

I don't know much about Communist state compliant firearms, but will offer this advice. First research any firearm you intend to purchase, ie google reviews, problems, issues, difficulties etc. Some can be harder to maintenance than others or need way more break in. There is a lot of different things to look at. Second is to buy good gear, both belt and holster. High quality gear can make a full size handgun carry comfortably, a cheap holster can make even a small gun a pain to carry.

I carry a p229 variant constantly, as due many here. Although it may be thick and heavy compared to a lot of guns out there, it is by no means uncomfortable to me. The reason is good quality holster and belt. It kills me to see someone buy a decent carry gun, and look for a cheap one size fits most holster. You can search post on holsters here and find some good suggestions if you haven't already.

Good luck with your decision.

· Registered
353 Posts
Jeeper has some very good advise about the belt & holster selection don't spend good money on a gun and buy a cheap holster and try and use a street belt you already own.
Buy a good two layer leather belt or a Wilderness Instructor belt there double layer nylon with velcro fastening (infinitely adjustable for a couple inches) top quality stuff.
I use a Wilderness belt called the five stitch which means exactly what it says five rows of stitching making it stiff enough to bear the weight of a holster & gun, there is also one with a thin plastic stiffener sandwiched inside for extra stiffness.

· Registered
499 Posts
I don't think anyone has mentioned the P320 sub compact. Smaller than the compact and bigger than the P238/P938.

I etc a P320sc and absolutely love it. I paired it with a Clinger Atom holster, carry IWB between 3 & 4 o'clock. That set up works me very comfortably.

Like others said, no one can tell whats best to carry for you. My alternate carry piece is a S&W Wyatt Deep Cover, great carry piece as well.

Just my $.02 worth

· Registered
2,345 Posts
I suggest that you also take a look at some of the 9MM single stack poly pistols like the Walther PPS. Glock 43, and M&P Shield for CCW. Their very thin profile makes CCW a breeze for many of us and still be able to get a full grip on the pistol at the expense of lower capacity though an extra magazine can be carried if one wants.

As MC recommended I also second getting further training. Being safe, proficient, and confident with your CCW pistol is of utmost importance IMO.

My PPS

· Registered
64 Posts
Looks like there is some big decisions to be made regarding what to buy. After reading your post and placing myself in your shoes, it is easy to see that you are definitely infected with the SIGNESS. Then the "just one more" complex.

All is well.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

· Banned
5,101 Posts
I also echo Malicious Compliance and Sigarms228. Training is paramount in all things, especially with firearms. I carry a Glock 19, and my wife carries a Shield 9mm. Both are very easy to conceal, but you have to decide what is best for you. As SA228 said, the single stack 9mm pistols he suggested are extremely easy to conceal, and more than adequate for what the average citizen needs to for daily defense, key word being "defense". Any of the guns he mentioned would serve you quite well.

The thing I recommend more than anything is the training aspect. It doesn't matter what you carry if your mind isn't prepared to deploy it. I always advise against carrying single action guns like the P938 to new users simply b/c if you don't know what you're doing you can discharge a round very quickly. They have light triggers and require you to carry with the hammer back with the safety engaged ("cocked and locked"), or without a round in the chamber if you're not comfortable with the former carry condition.

If you do carry cocked and locked you must disengage the safety before you can fire the gun, and if you're not trained on this process it can be disastrous in the heat of the moment. The advantage to the striker fire or double action/single action models is that they have heavier triggers, and you don't have to manipulate a safety. All this can be better explained by a knowledgeable instructor at the time of training, but I just wanted you to have something to think about.

Another thing you want to consider is how does the gun fit in your hand. Can you reach the controls easily, or are they cumbersome? Does the gun try to jump out of your hand when you're shooting it, or does it seem to become one with your hand? For example, for me the Glock 43 feels better in my hand than the Shield does, but when I shoot it the Glock wants to climb out of my hand while the Shield doesn't...it sort of stays put.

Carrying comfort is important, but keep in mind that a gun is meant to be comforting, not necessarily comfortable. One may feel a little better than another, but if you can't access it with a good purchase on the grip and press it into action quickly and safely chances are it's not the right gun for you. Only you can make that decision, though. Things that really matter, as it has been said, is the belt you use to carry it on, the holster you carry it in, and the manner in which you carry it, i.e. open carry, conceal, IWB, OWB, appendix, or on the hip, etc.

So, get some good training, find a gun that fits you best, and finally, practice with it a LOT! Good luck!

Reactions: Sigarms228

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate all the wisdom and pointers in this thread.

I started looking into single stack guns already for the thinner profile, as mentioned. Not to mention in Massachusetts we are limited to 10 rounds anyway, unless it is grandfathered in... but since I'll be buying new it won't apply to me.

We have thus far received instruction twice, for initial training with fire, and additionally when we were trying to find a gun we were comfortable with. We plan to take additional instruction in the future as well. I have a history with guns and carried daily in the military but never as a CCW, and I never needed to use it outside of training.

As for practice, we intend to get a membership at the local range and practice regularly. For now we are going to a range a little further out while we try to arm ourselves with the right weapon.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

· Banned
5,101 Posts
I appreciate all the wisdom and pointers in this thread.

I started looking into single stack guns already for the thinner profile, as mentioned. Not to mention in Massachusetts we are limited to 10 rounds anyway, unless it is grandfathered in... but since I'll be buying new it won't apply to me.

We have thus far received instruction twice, for initial training with fire, and additionally when we were trying to find a gun we were comfortable with. We plan to take additional instruction in the future as well. I have a history with guns and carried daily in the military but never as a CCW, and I never needed to use it outside of training.

As for practice, we intend to get a membership at the local range and practice regularly. For now we are going to a range a little further out while we try to arm ourselves with the right weapon.

Thanks again for all the great advice.
Sounds like you have a good plan, but I'm not surprised having the military experience. Some things just always stay with us. ;-)

· Registered
1,810 Posts
Welcome from Florida. The wife and I have P238's and I have a P938. They are great guns that are very accurate, the sights are great. One thing you have to carry them cocked and locked which is a thing that some don't like. You should make sure you use a holster that covers the safety when you carry this one. My wife does not carry the Sig anymore because in her bag the gun safety came off not being in the right holster. She now has a Ruger LCRX .38 spl revolver in her bag.I have many small guns that i could carry but i carry a Glock43 so i don't have to get one of my Sig's dirty :).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.