SIG Talk banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
I saw this posted on another forum. It looks like the sub is going to be quite a bit lower profile that a TLR-7A in every dimension of it. I got to looking at one of mine and it looks like the majority of the body is going to be tucked up about 1/2" more than a TLR-7A on a TD rail. That is a HUGE difference in profile. It looks to be considerably smaller in the switch area too, and shorter overall.

Compared to a TLR-7A on a TD rail I'm guessing it's going to be about 1/4" shorter overall, about 1/4" protrusion at the switch, 1/2" or so less at the body, and 1/8" or so narrower.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I saw this posted on another forum. It looks like the sub is going to be quite a bit lower profile that a TLR-7A in every dimension of it. I got to looking at one of mine and it looks like the majority of the body is going to be tucked up about 1/2" more than a TLR-7A on a TD rail. That is a HUGE difference in profile. It looks to be considerably smaller in the switch area too, and shorter overall.

Compared to a TLR-7A on a TD rail I'm guessing it's going to be about 1/4" shorter overall, about 1/4" protrusion at the switch, 1/2" or so less at the body, and 1/8" or so narrower.

All except the part about being shorter. I compared their pictures with handgun hero and it’s still out about 1/2-3/4 past the end of the barrel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All except the part about being shorter. I compared their pictures with handgun hero and it’s still out about 1/2-3/4 past the end of the barrel.

It will still stick out a bit on the P365, but the TLR7-SUB is about 2cm shorter in length, and about 1/4" less in height than it's larger brother. It may very well mount close to "barrel flush" on the P365XL, and should sit at, or above, trigger guard height. The smaller size, combined with a direct SIG rail mounting system, will make this light's footprint considerably smaller than using any rail adapter (with the exception of the Icarus ACE).

The SUB has all the performance of the larger TLR7A, but in a slightly smaller overall package, and using a direct SIG mount without an adapter. This may be a game changer for P365/XL owners.

I have pre-ordered mine. Nice job, Streamlight!

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,722 Posts
Not having to use a rail adaptor is a great advantage.

Reactions: CovertCarry

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
It will still stick out a bit on the P365, but the TLR7-SUB is about 2cm shorter in length, and about 1/4" less in height than it's larger brother. It may very well mount close to "barrel flush" on the P365XL, and should sit at, or above, trigger guard height. The smaller size, combined with a direct SIG rail mounting system, will make this light's footprint considerably smaller than using any rail adapter (with the exception of the Icarus ACE).

The SUB has all the performance of the larger TLR7A, but in a slightly smaller overall package, and using a direct SIG mount without an adapter. This may be a game changer for P365/XL owners.

I have pre-ordered mine. Nice job, Streamlight!
I’m talking about the P365, it will stick out past the barrel. I’ll still get one though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m talking about the P365, it will stick out past the barrel. I’ll still get one though.
You're correct. Your only other current "high-output" option for the 365 is the SureFire XSC. However, it's more than the twice the price, and 150 less lumens (350). It also can't use CR123 batteries.

And, it will still stick out past the barrel a bit on the 365...

On paper the TLR-7A SUB is a winner. Hopefully, it delivers as promised.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Has anyone started making holsters for the P365 with the TLR-7 sub? I preordered mine today.
The holster makers won't get their lights until we do. I emailed Dan at McKinatec a while back and he said I could preorder one essentially. He said to order the holster I wanted and then put in the notes to make it for the TLR-7 Sub when they come in. That gets you on the wait list at least so if you come up before the lights come in he'll hold the order and make it as soon as they come in, but I'd bank on the lights not being the hold up since my McKinatec order I received last week took over 11 weeks to ship since he's swamped.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
The holster makers won't get their lights until we do. I emailed Dan at McKinatec a while back and he said I could preorder one essentially. He said to order the holster I wanted and then put in the notes to make it for the TLR-7 Sub when they come in. That gets you on the wait list at least so if you come up before the lights come in he'll hold the order and make it as soon as they come in, but I'd bank on the lights not being the hold up since my McKinatec order I received last week took over 11 weeks to ship since he's swamped.
I'm probably going to go to the local shop that will form one on my gun while I wait. Then order something else when they become available.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm really excited to order one of these and see how it goes. This is the light design that Surfire should have went with instead of the goofy batteries they chose. Wish Streamlight made their products a bit more robust tho like Surefire, but their form factor and aesthetic design is always the best on the market and the 7sub appears to continue that.

In response to a few comments about the competition - you won't ever see me with an Olight product. Olight chooses to "innovate" things like quick-detach options while completely neglecting to make a light that has any semblance of durability or, at a minimum, doesn't literally blow up while attached to people's guns.
I found one instance four years ago of an Olight product blowing up. Has anything else happened besides that?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Olight uses a very thin gauge wire for their internals as a cost saving measure which, by the nature of physics, is barely adequate for the power being put thru them. It's only a matter of time before their product melts or in some cases ignites; numerous Olights have catastrophic failures every year. In addition, their housing construction is not as robust as other designs. Try beating up a BALDR vs an X300u and see which fares better - it's no contest. It has also been speculated that Olight plays social media games and actively covers up bad comments and reviews - I have no proof of this but considering that the company is owned by the Chi-Coms it's not too much of a stretch to believe that.

But my digression is now bordering on posting negativity which I personally try to avoid, and I know is banned in this forum, so I'll just leave my comments at that.
Yeah I gotcha. I just hear that all the time “numerous catastrophic failures every year” but I just can’t find the source of where that sentiment is coming from. I haven’t done like a deep dive or anything but you would think it would be easier to find.

I care about durability of course but my CCW does not see much abuse. It’s not a duty gun. I’ve never bought an Olight but I wouldn’t rule it out. The PL Pro is the highest lumen WML I’ve seen for pistols. The rechargeable stuff is cool. I wish that was more popular among other brands.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Yeah and as far as it being Chinese, I think we’ve seen this discussion about Holosun plenty on this forum. It still seems to be the best option for direct mounting on the P365.
And there's the rub. We want better American options and keep getting proprietary responses. I get that they are trying to block Chinese patent infringement and copying, but if I can't make it work easily and relatively inexpensively then I may look for the next best. I love my surefire lights. I've only sent 1 back for work because an LED died. They replaced the whole light. However, I don't have $300 for a light and then 30-40 for spare batteries.

I won't run the olight because, 1) I'm concerned about quality, 2) non-replaceable rechargeable, 3) that stupid lever sticking out looks like a snack hazard during a draw. Who needs the light falling off because the lever snagged their shirt?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If any of you choose the rechargeable battery route for CCW, make sure to recharge that battery on a regular interval schedule. Rechargeables are a great affordable option for training or regular use, but they won't hold a charge long term. When you most need it, your battery might be weak, or even worse, dead.

The CR123s will hold a charge for a number of years before losing significant capacity. Set it, and forget it. It will be there when you need it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, no manufacturer publishes failure rates of their products to the public. And it would be next to impossible for a third party to gather that information. However if you do a quick perusing thru a variety of the gun-oriented social media groups it doesn't take long to find a number of photos and firsthand accounts.

CCW is a duty. If you ever need to use it, you don't want it to fail.

Another commenter touched on their "high lumens" claims already so I won't touch it. Their rechargeable tech is cool in concept however I think most folks would rather be able to pop a new battery in their light and keep running vs having their gun light plugged in to the wall. Surefire is trying to bridge that gap with their new XSC but personally I'll be putting a TLR-7sub on my P365, have one on backorder. I run X300u's on everything else, and X600's on my rifles. Thinking about trying out Modlite on a rifle to see what their products are like.

I agree. The Surefire 600-Series is an excellent choice for long guns.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I pre-ordered the TLR 7 sub. Just waiting for it to arrive

Reactions: CovertCarry
41 - 60 of 78 Posts