SIG Talk banner

New Legion Lover. Help a Brother Out

3529 37
I am fairly new to Sig Sauer, but I am now a true believer. I was able to pick up a P220 Carry and I was a happy camper until yesterday when my wife and I went gun shopping. (She is looking for a good deal on a P938).

Anyhow, I made the mistake of fondling a P320 Legion Carry pistol and I decided come hell or high water, that will be my next purchase. I've never had a gun that felt so right in my hands. For the 10 minutes or so I looked at it before the salesman insisted I give it back I found nothing negative about it.

Now the tough part. The price. I was wondering if anyone has come across any kind of deals on these guns. I usually ask the experts on gun forum before I make a purchase because I don't know all of the internet sources available.
Edit: Thanks to Raif79. My dream gun is a P229 in 40 cal. I wouldn't kick a P320 out of bed for eating crackers, but I want a P229 Legion.
Reactions: Ejd88029
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The 229s are great guns. I see a lot of variance on pricing for the Legions. I ordered a 226 & 229 legions from my local dealer and waited a few months for the 229. They called me a couple of times saying they had ones through distribution that I could have but they were over what they quoted me by 80 bucks. They told me that they get a better deal direct from Sig but never knew when they would come. I decided to wait, they were 1029. Most I see at shows are in the 1100-1150 range.

·
Registered
94 Posts
P229 Legion is a good gun. I went with the P226 da/sa. It's all personal preference. If I had gotten a P226 SAO I'd be in the market for the P229 for some diversity.

Do it! Buy it! Now! Be impulsive! That's usually how I end up buying my guns.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
P229 Legion is a good gun. I went with the P226 da/sa. It's all personal preference. If I had gotten a P226 SAO I'd be in the market for the P229 for some diversity.

Do it! Buy it! Now! Be impulsive! That's usually how I end up buying my guns.
Can you tell me what your preference is for the P226 over the 29?

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
I am fairly new to Sig Sauer, but I am now a true believer. I was able to pick up a P220 Carry and I was a happy camper until yesterday when my wife and I went gun shopping. (She is looking for a good deal on a P938).

Anyhow, I made the mistake of fondling a P320 Legion Carry pistol and I decided come hell or high water, that will be my next purchase. I've never had a gun that felt so right in my hands. For the 10 minutes or so I looked at it before the salesman insisted I give it back I found nothing negative about it.

Now the tough part. The price. I was wondering if anyone has come across any kind of deals on these guns. I usually ask the experts on gun forum before I make a purchase because I don't know all of the internet sources available.
Edit: Thanks to Raif79. My dream gun is a P229 in 40 cal. I wouldn't kick a P320 out of bed for eating crackers, but I want a P229 Legion.
My advice is that if your dream gun is a P229 Legion then do not settle for anything else. Get it, and if you want another gun you can get it later. There are lots of sites from which you can buy guns, but my personal advice is find a local gun store where you can handle the gun, and buy local. Nothing can replace the benefit of having a relationship with a person in person, so I encourage you to find a store where you can do this.

As to the Legion, I owned a P229 Legion, and I think it is a fantastic gun. Extremely well balanced, and the low profile controls truly set it apart from other version, IMO. It has every enhancement anyone would want from the quick resetting Gray Guns adjustable trigger, G10 grips, and the eye-popping X Ray sights. If you truly want a P229, this is the one to get, IMO. Get one and don't look back, if that's what you truly want. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My advice is that if your dream gun is a P229 Legion then do not settle for anything else. Get it, and if you want another gun you can get it later. There are lots of sites from which you can buy guns, but my personal advice is find a local gun store where you can handle the gun, and buy local. Nothing can replace the benefit of having a relationship with a person in person, so I encourage you to find a store where you can do this.

As to the Legion, I owned a P229 Legion, and I think it is a fantastic gun. Extremely well balanced, and the low profile controls truly set it apart from other version, IMO. It has every enhancement anyone would want from the quick resetting Gray Guns adjustable trigger, G10 grips, and the eye-popping X Ray sights. If you truly want a P229, this is the one to get, IMO. Get one and don't look back, if that's what you truly want. :)
You are a dangerous person to my bank account, but you are also absolutely correct. Every time I compromise and get a firearm that almost like the one I want I wind up trading it off or have it sit in the safe. I did have a chance to handle the gun at a local dealer. It's an outstanding piece of work.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Can you tell me what your preference is for the P226 over the 29?
Sure. I'm 6'4" and 240lbs. I've got big hands. I like full size guns. I can also conceal them easily. My legion P226 is in 9mm. When I first started work many moons ago I was issued a P229 in 40. I like 40 and I have owned several firearms in that caliber over the years. Tastes change and I don't currently own any guns in 40. Current lineup consists of three 45's and five 9mm's.

Why not get a P229 in 9mm you might ask? I'm more interested in adding a P228 to my collection.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
My advice is, if you want a P229 in 40, consider a used one. The intent here is not to save a few bucks . . .

With so many LEO organizations doing the FBI "follow me" switching to 9mm, the LEO trade-in market for these guns has been romping for at least the last 3 years - though has slowed some of late from what I can tell. Many of these guns are in excellent condition, and some are high round count with external wear too - so know what to look for.

You can find a non-rail from what many consider to be SIG's peak quality years from the gun's introduction to a few years after they switched to rails. Or go for an early rails if you want to use a weapon light etc. My preference is for a legacy slide with short extractor and one that has a solid firing pin positioning pin (FPPP).

If you go this route and you want DA/SA, then be sure you are getting that. The less in demand DAK's are more prevalent and normally fetch less.

A good to excellent example should go for $500 - $550 I bought the one that's my main carry, a '99 with no dings, for $449 shipped 3 years back - - they've gone up a little since then.

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
You are a dangerous person to my bank account, but you are also absolutely correct. Every time I compromise and get a firearm that almost like the one I want I wind up trading it off or have it sit in the safe. I did have a chance to handle the gun at a local dealer. It's an outstanding piece of work.
:lol: My sincerest apologies, but I do bid you good fortune with your decision. ;)

Reactions: rmak

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Go for the P229 in 357 Sig and buy a 40 S&W barrel for it and have the best of both worlds. Both barrels are interchangeable without any gunsmithing, and the same magazine handles both cartridges. That's what I did and am super pleased.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.