SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

New Jersey and California Updates

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Redfishstalker 
#1 ·
Both New Jersey and California DOJ have put out Directives/Legal Alerts instructing the Issuing Authorities in their respective states that the Good Cause no longer applies. That will make it less difficult in these two states but not a walk in the park. Handgunlaw.us believes that the May Issue states will change their statutes/rules removing the Just Cause but they will make it as difficult and Expensive as they can. They will most likely drag their feet in doing so. We also believe they will expand their list of places off limits the same as DC did when they were forced to go Shall Issue.

Link to CA Legal Alert - https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/media/legal-alert-oag-2022-02.pdf

Link to NJ Directive - https://www.nj.gov/oag/dcj/agguide/...ements For Carrying Of Firearms In Public.pdf

You should read all the SCOTUS Opinion. There are some really good things in there about your rights and issuing permits etc. One example at the bottom of Page 36 of SCOTUS Ruling are footnotes (Bold mine) that state the following:
___

9To be clear, nothing in our analysis should be interpreted to suggest the unconstitutionality of the 43 States’ “shall-issue” licensing regimes, under which “a general desire for self-defense is sufficient to obtain a [permit].” Drake v. Filko, 724 F. 3d 426, 442 (CA3 2013) (Hardiman, J., dissenting). Because these licensing regimes do not require applicants to show an atypical need for armed self-defense, they do not necessarily prevent “law-abiding, responsible citizens” from exercising their Second Amendment right to public carry. District of Columbia v. Heller, 554

U. S. 570, 635 (2008). Rather, it appears that these shall-issue regimes, which often require applicants to undergo a background check or pass a firearms safety course, are designed to ensure only that those bearing arms in the jurisdiction are, in fact, “law-abiding, responsible citizens.” Ibid. And they likewise appear to contain only “narrow, objective, and definite standards” guiding licensing officials, Shuttlesworth v. Birmingham, 394 U. S. 147, 151 (1969), rather than requiring the “appraisal of facts, the exercise of judgment, and the formation of an opinion,” Cant-well v. Connecticut, 310 U. S. 296, 305 (1940)—features that typify proper-cause standards like New York’s. That said, because any permitting scheme can be put toward abusive ends, we do not rule out constitutional challenges to shall-issue regimes where, for example, lengthy wait times in processing license applications or exorbitant fees deny ordinary citizens their right to public carry.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/20-843_7j80.pdf

____

See less See more
#4 ·
The next step is to force those states (the previous may issue states) to come up with standards for out of state folks (or allowing the same standards to apply to out of state folks). Since I have a right to carry, I have a right to do so regardless of what state I am from. Until California (and the others) acknowledges that and starts issuing, or accepting non-resident permits, they haven't complied with the ruling.

#5 ·
I live in NJ. Our politicians publicly show their ignorance of guns and gun rights on a regular basis. I have no doubt at all they intend to continue to make it as expensive and difficult as possible. The question is will lower courts follow the intent of the SCOTUS ruling, or will we need further relief from SCOTUS? I'm 99% pleased with what SCOTUS said, I just think they left a little bit too much wiggle room for the antis. We need SCOTUS to provide Constitutional Carry for the entire Country. That's the only way to stop abuse from States.

#8 ·
I think the next challenge will be regarding what is a sensitive place. NY has already come out and said they plan to add all public transportation (subways, busses) any government owned property and where ever else they can come up with. These former "may issue" states will make a patchwork of laws that will pretty much make it so hard to use your newly issued permit that it will be essentially worthless.

#14 ·
The California Department of Justice has outed holders of applicants for Concealed Weapons Permits including Judges and LEOs, along with info on residents with registered firearms, and other data. Attorney General Bonta Releases New Firearms Data to Increase Transparency and Information Sharing

This was mean and dirty and people are really ** at Bonta.
^^^ This is being discussed here. If want to discuss in regards to, here is the link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.