SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you may know I started doing some serious deep diving into the 22 lr conversion kits for my p226. After looking through some different sets of images around the internet I was seeing differences between the kits (namely the ink stamp on the right side of the slide). This is a response I got from SIG on identifying 22 lr kit parts from some images I sent them.

"The slides on the 226/229r/220 are the same. The barrel lug itself should have numbers on it. Could be 29/26/20 which would indicate that barrel it is.

The magazines are also different, 229’s are a little shorter then the 226’s and the 220s are a little “deeper” as the 45s are longer front to back."

-From Michael Chandler Sig Sauer

So one can convert their 22 LR kit to be used on the 229r and 220 with a barrel change (maybe a guide) and a magazine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
So now if Sig would make the barrels and magazines available, I could use either the 220 or 226 slide on the 229. But somehow I think Sig has higher priorities at the moment. But I can still hope.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What, you don't like buying second hand or discontinued sig products?

Barrel, springs, and guides are easier to come by then the slide. There are also many aftermarket options for those. Not much in the way of aftermarket slides.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If the 226 22 conversion slide fits on a 220, then it fits on a 227 (?) and all I need is a 220 rimfire barrel and mag (I am told the mag will fit inside the 227 mag with some mods).

End goal - a .22 rimfire conversion for a 227

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
If the 226 22 conversion slide fits on a 220, then it fits on a 227 (?) and all I need is a 220 rimfire barrel and mag (I am told the mag will fit inside the 227 mag with some mods).

End goal - a .22 rimfire conversion for a 227

A P226 22LR magazine body will fit inside of a P227 10rd magazine AFTER it is modified.

The P226 22LR slide firing pin/hammer stop is thicker than the same part on a P220 slide,so FailToFire issues will occur.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright I got my kit today and it works great. I dropped a pair of Taylor last round hold opens and it works as advertised as well.

On closer inspection my p226 barrel assembly looks like Ken's. Also my 22 lr slide does not have any identification markings of any kind on what frame it is designed for. The only markings I found was an embossed 26 on the side of the lug.

Additionally it looks like the firing pin roll pin in the slide is too far to the rear of the slide to be a regular p226 firing pin. I suspect that the cut out for the roll pin is the same cut for the p220/p229.

Note I did expose my firing pin by pushing on the safety lock and pin at the same time and it does look like the pin is a rectangle for rim fire so I think a standard p229 firing pin won't work so I think our only source for additional firing pins is here, short of sending the slide to Sig Custom shop for work.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-p220-p229-firing-pin-for-22lr-conversion.html

I think you are right Ken, it looks like the only differences are probably the lug, guide rod, and maybe the recoil spring.

The Heretic: This might be a need that Barsto could fill if desired for the p227 work.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
OP,
Is your slide anodized or has someone painted/Cerakoted it?

Before making more un-educated guesses,I'd suggest that you acquire the 4 models of P22 Cal X Change kits to compare the differences in slide/Bbl/lug/guide rod/spring/magazine configurations.

hint-
A P220 22 Cal X Change top end will fit/function on a P227-
Its the magazine that's the issue,that I posted w/ pics in post#6 above & have been using for a couple years now w/o issues.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It does not appear to be painted or Cerakoted. If the slide was refinished it was definitely a professional job. The missing ink stamp on the right side is definitely odd, but it did come in a blue case so it is possible the ink stamp was added later with the black cases.

Ya, spending 2K+ for conversion kits for guns I don't own isn't an option (These kits are being price gouged right now).

Dan As far as uneducated guesses, so far everything has checked out: The Slide, not the slide assembly, has so far turned out exactly how Sig Sauer said it would be. The Lug Markings Sig said existed were confirmed on mine, and Ken confirmed the barrel on two of the models (I would be interested to see if Ken can see the embossed lug markings on his barrels). I originally said the guide rod is probably different and I didn't talk about the magazines as we already knew they were different (as we can purchase aftermarket magazines for all three versions easily). Is there something specific that you are having issues with?

To my knowledge we have probably accumulated more knowledge on the function/design/parts of the 22 conversion kits in this thread (and the aftermarket part thread) then I have been able to find anywhere online.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same slides: 220, 226, 229R
Same recoil springs: All the same
Same guide rods: 220, 226
Firing pin stop: Thick 220, 228/229, 229R. Thin 226
Barrels: All barrels are the same. Different lugs.
Mags: 226 and 228/229/229R use the same mag with difference base plate. 226 mag will fit 228/229/229R.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you M2D2X, that is perfect!

Are yours relatively new kits shipped in the black case by any chance? I am definitely seeing a few differences in my slide: Ink Stamp is missing, safety lock looks a bit different, and my guide rod isn't coated. I wonder if they changed the design going forward.

The hammer stop is definitely interesting, Is it held in by the same roll pin that retains the firing pin or bonded/welded onto the end somehow?

I'll see what I can do to get some images of my slide up for comparison.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Case wise, I believe there are 3 different versions.
Blue with old sleeve: with and w/o ink stamp
Black with old sleeve: w/ ink stamp
Black with new sleeve: w/ ink stamp

Firing pin stop/block is held by a roll pin.
P220, P226, and P229R slides have the exact same cut outs. P228/P229 is one of its kind.

Top 228/229. Mid 226. Bottom 220

Top 226. Bottom 229R

·
Registered
830 Posts
So now if Sig would make the barrels and magazines available,
Seriously doubt it. Sig walked away from the 22lr market a few years back. they were closing out the 22 Conversion kits in the store dirt cheap. Thought about picking a few up but passed. Kicking myself now.

The slides were manufactured here in NH. Not sure about the barrels.

·
Registered
21,595 Posts
Same slides: 220, 226, 229R

Top 228/229. Mid 226. Bottom 220

I wonder why the different bright piece on the P226 slide at the back where the rear of the firing pin exits? Different thickness.

And I see the P229 has the longer underlug (chin).

Interesting comparisons.

Reactions: FrozenIceman

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wonder why the different bright piece on the P226 slide at the back where the rear of the firing pin exits? Different thickness.

And I see the P229 has the longer underlug (chin).

Interesting comparisons.
Something to do with the lugs on the bottom of the barrel. P228/P229/P229R barrel will sit further back and requires a longer recoil rod and thus a thicker firing pin stop. P226 is the other way around. On P220, you also have to take the mag into consideration. P220 barrel probably sits slightly further back than the P226 barrel, and that's why it has a thicker stop as well.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Fascinating thread. I have a 226 & a 229 kit. I will have to take a look at them more closely. I bought mine a number of years ago. Bought my daughter a 226 kit a couple years ago when Sig had a sale on them. Wish I had thought of getting a 220 kit. They were only $200.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for jumping into this even deeper deep dive with me. It definitely is helping to fill out quite a few questions I had (and raise plenty of new ones).

Alright here images from my 'potentially' older p226 kit.

Note, only thing I did was add the Tactical Taylor hold open followers to the spare magazines. It looks like the previous owner didn't have/send me the case sleeve.

Note 1: The uncoated Guide rod.
Note 2: Missing p226 ink Stamp on right side of slide

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
More detailed images of the slide.

Note 1: The discoloration on the safety lock, possibly from heat treat
Note 2: Short hammer stop on the end of the slide, coincides with what we found before.
Note 3: Barrel Lug markings and Barrel Markings

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts