SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Folks,

I wanted to say I'm new here and have already gathered a TON of information from all these threads. I'm coming from a roughly 10 year love hate relationship with glocks (don't hate me!) Long story short I live in CT, limited to 10 round mags and carry AIWB currently. I run a glock 19 or a cz p07 in that carry method 99% of the time. Reason for the post is that I am looking toward SIG as my carry/training pistol as the current weapons I use are fed by neutered magazines. I really like TDA pistols for the appendix carry position as well as SIG factory mags coming in at the 10 round or less capacity as it doesn't allow me to accidentally grab the wrong capacity mag before heading out the door.

I know that the 227 is marginally larger than the 220 and carries 2 more rounds than the 220. Does anyone have experience with AIWB carry with the 220 or 227 and find it usable or workable? I am leaning towards the 220 carry sas gen 2 as it seems thinner than the current glock 19 that I am carrying around.

Just searching for opinions and experiences as far as the platform and concealed carry is concerned.

Thanks very much

Joe

· Registered
1,626 Posts
Welcome from Texas!!

The 220 got a thinner grip than the P227 because it's a single stack. I don't have either one but I'm carrying a P229 in .357 (also double stack like the P227) AIWB without a problem in a sidekick rig. It's more comfortable as it might look like.
I'm 5'8" @ 150lbs.

The P220 Carry SAS is about the same size than the P229 when you compare the barrel length and grip length, but its grip is thinner for the same reason as stated above.
If you're not set on .45ACP and would also consider 9mm for carry I would take a look at the P239 and P225A1. Both are single stack 9mm and carry more comfortable AIWB than a double stack.
For double stack 9mm I would recommend the P229 SAS or the M11A1 which is basically a P229 in 9mm with phosphate coated internals for corrosion protection.
I also recommend to see if a local range has them in their rental fleet, so you can take them for a test drive to see which one you like best. ;)

· Banned
6,262 Posts
Actually, the 227 is marginally larger than the 226. It is significantly larger (thicker) than the P220; however, the thing you're going to run into by switching to these guns is that not only are they an entirely different fire control mechanism, but they're a lot heavier to boot. My question is why don't you just buy new magazines for your Glock 19 and CZ? It is a lot less expensive, and you don't have to switch the system you're so accustomed to.

Nothing wrong with switching from striker fire to DA/SA systems, but it will require some time training b/c they are not at all the same. I would not recommend making the switch and carrying it until you've had adequate time to become proficient with the DA/SA platforms. If you are accustomed to these platforms then that's another matter, but if you have never spent time shooting them then it isn't wise to make the switch cold turkey, per se.

I carry a Glock 19 as well, and I have considered going back to DA/SA just for the added measure of perceived safety associated with the long pull of the DA system. In fact, I tested that when the Legion series first came out. I traded my G19 for a P229 Legion and carried it for about three months. During that time I spent quite a lot of time at the range working the trigger b/c there is such a glaring difference on the first shot to the second shot on a DA/SA gun compared to the striker system.

In the end, the I just wasn't able to get as comfortable with the 229 as I am with the Glock. I can shoot it well, but not as accurately or as quickly as I can the Glock, and that is what I carried (226) prior to switching to the Glock. When you couple that with the difference in weight of the guns along with the fact that one is no more reliable than the other, I chose to go back to the G19 and the striker fire system. So, I can tell you from personal experience it isn't just an easy switch.

Sure, you can buy one and start carrying it, but what is your confidence level with the gun? How well do you know the gun? How well do you know you can actually shoot the gun? I'm not talking about under stress, just at the range. If you can't shoot it any better at the range you sure won't be able to shoot better with it under stress. Just food for thought, FWIW.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, the 227 is marginally larger than the 226. It is significantly larger (thicker) than the P220; however, the thing you're going to run into by switching to these guns is that not only are they an entirely different fire control mechanism, but they're a lot heavier to boot. My question is why don't you just buy new magazines for your Glock 19 and CZ? It is a lot less expensive, and you don't have to switch the system you're so accustomed to.

Nothing wrong with switching from striker fire to DA/SA systems, but it will require some time training b/c they are not at all the same. I would not recommend making the switch and carrying it until you've had adequate time to become proficient with the DA/SA platforms. If you are accustomed to these platforms then that's another matter, but if you have never spent time shooting them then it isn't wise to make the switch cold turkey, per se.

I carry a Glock 19 as well, and I have considered going back to DA/SA just for the added measure of perceived safety associated with the long pull of the DA system. In fact, I tested that when the Legion series first came out. I traded my G19 for a P229 Legion and carried it for about three months. During that time I spent quite a lot of time at the range working the trigger b/c there is such a glaring difference on the first shot to the second shot on a DA/SA gun compared to the striker system.

In the end, the I just wasn't able to get as comfortable with the 229 as I am with the Glock. I can shoot it well, but not as accurately or as quickly as I can the Glock, and that is what I carried (226) prior to switching to the Glock. When you couple that with the difference in weight of the guns along with the fact that one is no more reliable than the other, I chose to go back to the G19 and the striker fire system. So, I can tell you from personal experience it isn't just an easy switch.

Sure, you can buy one and start carrying it, but what is your confidence level with the gun? How well do you know the gun? How well do you know you can actually shoot the gun? I'm not talking about under stress, just at the range. If you can't shoot it any better at the range you sure won't be able to shoot better with it under stress. Just food for thought, FWIW.
Thanks for the reply. The glock 10 round magazines are not recommended for duty or carry per Glock's mothership. In CT you cannot run a 15 round magazine with 10 rounds in it, it has to be a factory 10 rounder. I'm okay with the DA/SA platform as I've switched to the CZ and currently have a Beretta Custom Carry that I dry fire and train with. I do understand the weight difference between the 220 and say a Glock 19 or CZ polymer pistol. The issue for me at least is the notion of carrying a pistol with "empty mag space", the glock with a capacity of 10 when it should be holding 15. The 220 is an 8 round magazine, and that's what I'll have in it. The 225 was another pistol I was looking at as far a replacement pistol as it has 'CT COMPLIANT" magazines from the factory.

Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.

· Registered
4,192 Posts
My EDC is my 227 SAS Gen2, my only Sig. If I know I'll be carrying 15+ hrs I do sometimes lighten my load and carry my Glock 27. I've recently purchased a HK P2000SK in .40. This will take the place of my Glock on my lighter carry days; I'm just waiting on my new Kydex holster.

I have handled a few 220 but not with a full mag. The 220 is a bit slimmer, but otherwise feels about the same to me.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm fortunate to have a friend lending me a SAS 220 this weekend for a 1 day class so I'll have the opportunity to run it through its paces and see how it goes.

I appreciate all the info.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

· Registered
113 Posts
You'll dig that p220 sas. I was FINALLY able to run my new one through some serious paces yesterday. I was happy with it before..... now I know it won't be leaving the stable most likely ever.

In my opinion there is quite a noticeable difference between the p220 and the p227 in the grips.

Here's a pic I found on the net of the difference between the P220, p226 and p227.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris thay was super helpful. It really does show the difference in the pistols. The 220 really seems to be the ticket for my application.

Thank you.

· Registered
31 Posts
I have and IWB carry a P226 9mm Legion and a P227. For me, size between the two is non-existent with the exception of weight. They both fit the same holsters so its a win win for me.

Ok, getting back on track, if you're concerned about size & carry, go put hands on the different configuration P220 and P227, see what you really prefer. A P220 (both rail & SAS) are on my wish list but I wouldn't give up the P227 though. Go fondle what you can then decide if magazine capacity of the P227 and the P220 fit what you need/want.

· Registered
135 Posts
Although "carry" characterics are important, I would rather focus on handling feel. Does the P220 with a thinner grip feel better than the P227 or vice versa. A particular gun may Carry better but be uncomfortable to handle may find its way sitting in the safe more often. To me, if it's not comfortable to hold to shoot, I would not find it as important to carry. The Model P227 SAS Gen 2 is a worthy consideration

Gunblast has some dimensional and comparison info on his page..... CLICK Here

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Deaver thanks for the info. It really will come down to feel in the hand as well as handling characteristics. I can aiwb a 1911 commander and have in the past, weighing more than the 220 or 227 so I'm hoping it's not too much of an issue. At this point trigger time is in order as well as weighing the costs of 45 vs 9mm over the course of a year. I shoot roughly 1k a month now so that may have to be cut back to 750. Again this is all up for discussion due to our 10 round magazine limit here. I'm torn on having which caliber whether it be 9mm or 45 as I know both are available with excellent Ballistics now.

Thanks for the info, this community really is a wealth of knowledge.

· Banned
6,262 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The glock 10 round magazines are not recommended for duty or carry per Glock's mothership. In CT you cannot run a 15 round magazine with 10 rounds in it, it has to be a factory 10 rounder. I'm okay with the DA/SA platform as I've switched to the CZ and currently have a Beretta Custom Carry that I dry fire and train with. I do understand the weight difference between the 220 and say a Glock 19 or CZ polymer pistol. The issue for me at least is the notion of carrying a pistol with "empty mag space", the glock with a capacity of 10 when it should be holding 15. The 220 is an 8 round magazine, and that's what I'll have in it. The 225 was another pistol I was looking at as far a replacement pistol as it has 'CT COMPLIANT" magazines from the factory.

Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.
Understood! In that case, I think I would run the P220 or the P225 depending on which caliber you prefer. The P220 carry and the P225 are essentially the same platform chambered for different calibers, both of which would serve you very well, IMO. One gun to consider, though, if you really like the Glock platform, is the G26. Also, sometime this year HK is coming out with the VP9SK, which is another double stack 9mm with a standard 10 round mag. Have you considered the P30SK? It is a 10+1 round pistol that offers quite a lot for such a small package. Just offering other things to consider as you deliberate.

http://hk-usa.com/product/pistols/

· Registered
135 Posts
If 9mm is a consideration, The SIG Sauer M11-A1-10 would be a candidate as well. The -10 version comes with 10 Rnd magazines. It includes some nice features as standard.

SIG Sauer M11-A1.... CLICK Here

The M11-A1 would compare to P227 SAS and the P225-A1 would compare to the P220
9mm compared to .45
Note; the P225-A1 lists the mag size as 8 rnds.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Roger that thank you. I'm leaning 220 or 225. I've got plenty of guns with magazines pinned or blocked to accept 10 rounds. Trying to avoid empty space magazines 220 and 225 are designed for 8 and 10 rounds from the factory.

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.