SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I looked at a Sig Sauer P229 Carry pistol at a gun store. I am interested in buying one as a carry weapon. I went online to do some research and found a number of articles saying that the P229 Carry version was a limited edition. These articles were dated 2015.
I am wondering if this is the correct information. Are they still being made? If so, are they are good reliable pistol? I am thinking of the 40 S&W caliber. What is a reasonable price for this model?

Edit: I guess I should lay all my cards on the table. I've also looked at the P225 single stack. I believe these are offered in 45ACP. I would appreciate any thoughts on which of these firearms would be a better choice.

Finally, if this isn't in the proper forum, please move it. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
I looked at a Sig Sauer P229 Carry pistol at a gun store. I am interested in buying one as a carry weapon. I went online to do some research and found a number of articles saying that the P229 Carry version was a limited edition. These articles were dated 2015.
I am wondering if this is the correct information. Are they still being made? If so, are they are good reliable pistol? I am thinking of the 40 S&W caliber. What is a reasonable price for this model?

Edit: I guess I should lay all my cards on the table. I've also looked at the P225 single stack. I believe these are offered in 45ACP. I would appreciate any thoughts on which of these firearms would be a better choice.

Finally, if this isn't in the proper forum, please move it. Thanks.
The P225 is a 9MM, never offered in 45.

Reactions: bearone2

·
🎖USMC Veteran Premium Member
4,567 Posts
A couple of choices for your consideration. P220 carry (shortened barrel 3.9 in. standard frame) 8 + 1 capacity and P220 compact (shortened barrel and compact frame) 6 + 1 capacity.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks! Any thoughts about my original questions? Are P229 Carry pistols still made? Are they reliable? Any recommendations for them or P225 (and now P220/245)?
That is a question you would have to ask Sig. My best guess is no, they are not being made anymore as they are no longer on the Sig web catalog. That's not to say they are rare or anything, I'm sure they wouldn't be too hard to find. As for reliability, they are no different than any other P229, just rounded the edges out so they don't snag anything when drawing.
Any recommendation would be personal preference. I prefer the P229 for carry, I can conceal it just fine, I don't mind the weight (in fact I like my pistols heavier), and I have always gone for capacity over anything else. 9mm is my caliber for practice, training, and carrying.

Reactions: rmak

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a question you would have to ask Sig. My best guess is no, they are not being made anymore as they are no longer on the Sig web catalog. That's not to say they are rare or anything, I'm sure they wouldn't be too hard to find. As for reliability, they are no different than any other P229, just rounded the edges out so they don't snag anything when drawing.
Any recommendation would be personal preference. I prefer the P229 for carry, I can conceal it just fine, I don't mind the weight (in fact I like my pistols heavier), and I have always gone for capacity over anything else. 9mm is my caliber for practice, training, and carrying.
Thank you. Do you carry your 229 inside or outside the waist? I looked a little large to tuck to me.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
The 229C is not quite the same as the standard 229- they do not have full rails. They are a hybrid- "In designing the P229c, engineers took an inspired trip to the SIG Sauer parts bin and created a new size configuration—a P229 compact frame with a P224 subcompact slide and barrel assembly".

They can be found on Gunbroker- here's an example-
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/630474662

Reactions: rmak and bearone2

·
Registered
101 Posts
It may just be me, but I kind of got the impression that the 229 itself was essentially the carry version of the 226, but that may be a newbie error....

Reactions: goofyfool

·
Registered
363 Posts
I carry mine IWB, in the winter I sometimes carry OWB if I'm wearing a jacket I know i'm not going to take off.
I use a Crossbreed holster, IMO best/most comfortable.
I also have a Blackpoint Tactical IWB that accommodates my P229 with a light.
Sometimes I use my sticky holster, if I know I'm going have to take it off.
I'm 5'8", 140lb - not a very big guy at all, but I conceal just fine with nothing but a Tshirt/jeans. I tend to carry at the 4 oclock position, i feel that is most comfortable for me and hides the best.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It may just be me, but I kind of got the impression that the 229 itself was essentially the carry version of the 226, but that may be a newbie error....
It basically is, but it's still a mid framed gun. I know a lot of ppl out there consider it on the larger side of conceal carry, but it's still in the same category as your glock 19s, 1911 GI, and any other 4ish inch barrels

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
The 229 is half an inch shorter than the 226. The 229 Carry is half an inch shorter, yet. The grip length between the 229 and 229C is the same. So, the difference is in the slide and barrel (as far as length), and the 229C is not the same gun internally, as the 229.

Reactions: bearone2 and rmak

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi,

I have the BT OWB and love it. Sticking it IWB feel pretty good.

I'm considering buying the IWB version OR just IWB clips for the OWB.

How does the BT IWB with those small leather wings work for you?

Thanks,

E Buzz Miller
Works great for me, not as comfortable as a "big leather" hybrid like my crossbreed but it's not uncomfortable either

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Works great for me, not as comfortable as a "big leather" hybrid like my crossbreed but it's not uncomfortable either

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thanks!

I have a Crossbreed but find with a P229 and my build it doesn't work for me.

The leather bends too tightly and really I mean REALLY grabs the pistol! I can't hardly get it out!

I think a kydex with a positive grip and solid/no crush body will work better for me.

I just put my Crossbreed clips on the BPT and am wearing it around.

Ahhh the hunt for the perfect holster continues!

Thanks,

Warren

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.