SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stopped by the Grayguns booths and they have a new flat trigger that is adjustable for both pre and overtravel. They will be available for order on the site by the end of the month. They only had a limited number for sale at the show at a great price, $52 out the door. She also threw in a free hat and t-shirt. I put it in this weekend and love it. I'll post a pic later today.

·
Registered
496 Posts
So I stopped by the Grayguns booths and they have a new flat trigger that is adjustable for both pre and overtravel. They will be available for order on the site by the end of the month. They only had a limited number for sale at the show at a great price, $52 out the door. She also threw in a free hat and t-shirt. I put it in this weekend and love it. I'll post a pic later today.
How do they adjust the pre and post travel ?
Do they use and adjustable screw? Delrin rod? Something else?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adjustable screws for both. Overtravel adjustment is the same as the P-SAIT. They just added one for pre-travel.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm sure he realizes its business. Someone comes up with a good idea and sees there's a demand, others will follow. I would think that how short the reset is depends on how well you adjust out the pre-travel which is easier on this one since its a screw rather than having to use a file. My reset right now is ridiculously short. Great price too. I also forgot to mention in the previous post she also threw in their Master Spring kit which is normally $25. Haven't installed any of them yet though. Comes with 19lb and 17lb mainsprings, uprated firing pin return spring, competition safety lock spring, and competition sear spring

Reactions: FLASIG

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I don't know anything about US Patent Law. I would hope that ArmoryCraft would have filed for a patent. On the other hand, SIG most likely has a patent on their trigger design. This would put AC infringing on Sig's patent. That was the reason why I ordered 2 of those triggers as soon as they went on pre-sale. I was afraid that Sig or some body else would file an injunction and stop the sales. So, is GG infringing on Sig's patent or copying AC idea ? I hate lawyers.
I am not a lawyer but I would GUESS that any patent on a trigger has long since expired. You can get an improvement patent. Most patents granted are improvement patents. These patents protect the differences between a new product and previously existing products of the same kind. Improvement patents involve (usually) incorporating new technology. I doubt that trigger shapes or adjustment screws would count as improvements (under the law).
Improvement patents can be further broken down into "addition" or "substitution" inventions. An example of an addition invention would be the Gillette razors. Every time they add a new blade, they get a new patent (3 blades over 2, etc.) An example of a substitution patent would be Amazon's "1 click purchase" feature--a new patent was added to the existing electronic purchase patent. I seriously doubt one could get a patent on a trigger unless someone added something like fingerprint analysis or some new previously unused technology to a trigger? One could certainly patent a NAME (called a Trademark when you patent a name) of a trigger--like "SRT" or "Greyguns trigger."

(disclaimer--I would not be FOR a fingerprint trigger, just saying that KIND of thing would be necessary for an improvement patent.)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I want Grayguns to start making steel replacement parts for all of Sig's MIM stuff!
They'd make a fortune just off of those parts alone...

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I'm sure he realizes its business. Someone comes up with a good idea and sees there's a demand, others will follow. I would think that how short the reset is depends on how well you adjust out the overtravel which is easier on this one since its a screw rather than having to use a file. My reset right now is ridiculously short. Great price too. I also forgot to mention in the previous post she also threw in their Master Spring kit which is normally $25. Haven't installed any of them yet though. Comes with 19lb and 17lb mainsprings, uprated firing pin return spring, competition safety lock spring, and competition sear spring
You have it backwards. Armory Crafts overtravel is screw adjustable. It is the DA pretravel, the wasted take up motion, that is adjusted by filing or shaving off the Delrin rod.

The two types of patents are utility and design. Utility is by far the strongest type of patent. Design (appearance) patents are obviously much easier to circumvent.

As an inventor (of sorts) with all of one patent (but a successful one :p), and a bunch of stuff I didn't think worth patenting, that still made a few dollars (I was wrong to neglect patenting a few things and they got copied - oh well).

Used to be (when I was more involved) the percentage of patent applications granted was low, probably as it was much more difficult back then to do a patent search and most were rejected as "prior art" - a previous patent that was, or incorporated claimed features, of the current application.

i understand patent approvals are as high as 50% or so. Yet only 3% of granted patents ever make money. So better odds than the lottery, but no way to make a living unless you have Edison's genes.

Back on topic (sorry) unless someone came up with a truly unique mechanically different trigger, it's not likely to be patentable in the utility category, and not worth bothering with a weak design patent.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have it backwards. Armory Crafts overtravel is screw adjustable. It is the DA pretravel, the wasted take up motion, that is adjusted by filing or shaving off the Delrin rod.

The two types of patents are utility and design. Utility is by far the strongest type of patent. Design (appearance) patents are obviously much easier to circumvent.

As an inventor (of sorts) with all of one patent (but a successful one :p), and a bunch of stuff I didn't think worth patenting, that still made a few dollars (I was wrong to neglect patenting a few things and they got copied - oh well).

Used to be (when I was more involved) the percentage of patent applications granted was low, probably as it was much more difficult back then to do a patent search and most were rejected as "prior art" - a previous patent that was, or incorporated claimed features, of the current application.

i understand patent approvals are as high as 50% or so. Yet only 3% of granted patents ever make money. So better odds than the lottery, but no way to make a living unless you have Edison's genes.

Back on topic (sorry) unless someone came up with a truly unique mechanically different trigger, it's not likely to be patentable in the utility category, and not worth bothering with a weak design patent.
Yep, sorry about that. My mistake, sorry gents.

·
Registered
23,605 Posts
I want Grayguns to start making steel replacement parts for all of Sig's MIM stuff!
They'd make a fortune just off of those parts alone...
I would like to see someone that could handle larger volumes of production and orders do that. Get lower prices that way and not have to pay for somebody's ego.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wish I'd had had time to go by GrayGuns.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.