SIG Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo everyone I just picked a German made Sig P226 a short time ago. I've wanted a proper German or Swiss Sig forever but either I didn't have the money or the dealers were out of stock but finally I found one for a good price on Buds and pulled the trigger. :) The quality is not wot it could be but that seems to be a common trend on new guns unless its a high end 1911 but those are langweilig.

I'm a total newb when it comes to these but I seem to remember you can't dry fire them or it breaks the firing pin and you need to use grease on the rails not oil. Is there a sticky I should read on what to do/not to do?

Also lastly can anyone tell me if these marks on the barrel are normal? I've seen a few used sigs at gun shows and their barrels always had wear but this looks pretty bad(I'm guessing proof loads + painted finish on barrel?) :confused:

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
Hallo everyone I just picked a German made Sig P226 a short time ago. I've wanted a proper German or Swiss Sig forever but either I didn't have the money or the dealers were out of stock but finally I found one for a good price on Buds and pulled the trigger. :) The quality is not wot it could be but that seems to be a common trend on new guns unless its a high end 1911 but those are langweilig.

I'm a total newb when it comes to these but I seem to remember you can't dry fire them or it breaks the firing pin and you need to use grease on the rails not oil. Is there a sticky I should read on what to do/not to do?

Also lastly can anyone tell me if these marks on the barrel are normal? I've seen a few used sigs at gun shows and their barrels always had wear but this looks pretty bad(I'm guessing proof loads + painted finish on barrel?) :confused:
Did you purchase this NIB? There is a sticky titled "Flork's Lubrication Guide" here on the PISTOL forum that advises the use of grease on rails. The consensus on the forum seems to be that grease on the rails is recommended and dry fire in limited amounts will not damage your SIG but snap caps are recommended for more extensive dry firing.

Most sig models will develop "smiles" on the barrel; crescent shaped wear marks in the finish on top/bottom of the barrel. The gouges down the right side of the barrel on your 226 DO NOT look normal to me. IMHO, you should determine the cause of that condition before you fire and seek immediate resolution with Bud's and/or SIG.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I agree thnkfrst, those marks on the barrel do not look normal. They almost look like chips or gouges.

I would say that you need to have someone look the pistol over.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Have you fired it yet?

Are those marks on the barrel just missing finish or does it look like metal is being removed? If you run your fingernail accross those marks does your fingernail catch on them and stop abruptly?

If it does not appear that metal is being removed I would suggest cleaning and lubing it including the frame rails and lubing the entire exterior of the barrel. Then cycle the slide a dozen times - does it cycle smoothly? If so I would take it to the range and try it out to see how she runs and examine it again after done to see what the barrel exterior looks like. You might want to examine the exterior of the barrel after the first magazine to see what it looks like also.

Keep us posted.

Another great place to post is on the SIGforum in the SIG Armorer section.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I would recommend a thorough PROFESSIONAL inspection.Something wrong there.Those are not "SMILEYS" that are normal. Something is binding there maybe the barrel lockup it self.

·
Registered
55,055 Posts
Have you fired it yet?

Are those marks on the barrel just missing finish or does it look like metal is being removed? If you run your fingernail accross those marks does your fingernail catch on them and stop abruptly?

If it does not appear that metal is being removed I would suggest cleaning and lubing it including the frame rails and lubing the entire exterior of the barrel. Then cycle the slide a dozen times - does it cycle smoothly? If so I would take it to the range and try it out to see how she runs and examine it again after done to see what the barrel exterior looks like. You might want to examine the exterior of the barrel after the first magazine to see what it looks like also.

Keep us posted.

Another great place to post is on the SIGforum in the SIG Armorer section.
+1 on the fingernail check

1 - 8 of 8 Posts