SIG Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two CW's - a P938 that is one year old (approximately 1,500 rounds) and a never fired S&W MP Shield 9mm. Well we're told that the first thing to do with a new gun is to field strip it then clean and lightly lubricate it. DONE. Noticed it was difficult to reassemble the recoil spring and rod on a brand new gun. Finally was able to insert the rod deep enough into spring to lock unit in place. Went to reassemble - slide locked, permanently. SW advises that I I whack the rod protruding under the muzzle with a rubber mallet. Snap, it recoiled. "Oh you didn't center the spring!" "Hold on, let me disassemble again. Looks fine to me." Second attempt, I have same problem feeding the spring back in but once done it was a perfectly centered crappy flat metal spring with no two rungs parallel to each other. "Oh thats normal." Now slide won't lock at all. Same guy on phone, "you didn't center the spring, again." "Oh really. There's so little wiggle room it would be a feat to assemble it uncentered and if it looks centered TWICE when it's not, that's a defect!" !"Sent it back. Oh, the spring was centered when we got it but it worked fine. After it came back I took it to range without field stripping. Fired nicely. Also took my Sig and put a 100 through it.

Cleaning my P938 I now have same assembly issue as I had with the Shield! I cannot get the spring to collapse far enough on the rod to fit. Never had that problem before. After ten attempts I got it on and centered. My hands feel like I just shelled 1,000 pistachios. The Sig Owners Manual says replace the recoil spring every 1,500 rounds. Wow. Any other gun need that type of maintenance? Could the fact I am at about that limit explain why the spring looks like it has lengthened making it harder to feed in the longer spring? Maybe it gets wobbly as it lengthens making it hard to feed and compress without collapsing on itself?

And then the Shield is just an amazing coincidence that seems to be deminishing as a problem as it is broken in with 200 rounds?

BTW I cannot find that spring online anywhere. Seems like you have to call Sig? Seems the antithesis of the Sig reputation to need a part replacement at 1500 rounds?!

Hey thanks for any help. And no I don't have arthritis but that's what it must feel like.

Chuck

High Standard Victor Military Specification 22LR
(circa 1984; mint from Navy Frogman/Seal as thank you).
Beretta PX4 9mm full frame
Springfield Armory XDM 9mm
SigSauer P938 9mm
S&W MP Shield 9mm

·
Registered
9,140 Posts

·
Banned
2,874 Posts
Hi from Florida.

Take a deep breath.

I know nothing about the S&W, but on the P938 it helps to have a little dowel inserted into the guide rod hole a few inches, and the other end firmly anchored into your gut. Place the GR spring over the dowel, and push the guide rod down until it touches the dowel, then chase the dowel outside the guide rod hole on the frame and put the guide rod in place in front of the barrel lug (if the barrel moves over to the left and the hood gets "stuck" in the ejection port, just turn the slide over and press hard right in front of the "9mm para" with your left thumb...it'll free up). You can buy a bunch of assorted dowels at Walmart for $1 in the arts/craft section.

You should also make checking the guide rod isn't coming unthreaded during each cleaning (yes; it is in 2 parts in the P938) and also take the grips off occasionally to check on your mainspring housing peg, to ensure it isn't getting sheared off...replace as necessary.

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

Seems odd to have the same problem with two different
Manufactures Hand guns ?

I have a P 938 Equinox and when I saw the problems about
it on the Forum, I decided to order several parts in advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts