SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

馃帠USAF Retired
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought two of the cheap 16" Pelican knockoffs from Sam's Club as well as the Plano "All Weather Tactical" rifle case for my AR. Cases themselves are good enough for my needs (no plans to ship them on airplanes or anything), but both types came with pluck foam. Not only that, but the small Sam's cases had a lower non-pluck foam piece that was just as thick as the pluck part, making it fairly unusable. Kaizen foam to the rescue.

I ordered 2 sheets of the 2 1/4 Black/white foam, a marker, and a knife (and a thin blade pack that I never opened as I never found I needed them).

First, I replaced the foam in my rifle case. Original plan was to cut all the way through like the pluck foam but decided I wanted the white to show when the slot was empty (tool control :)) so I carefully peeled the layers as low as I could. Looks kind of sloppy if you look real close but I was happy with the results.

Empty:

Filled:

(Indents in the foam are from the strap I removed for the pictures). I placed the weapon off center intentionally to leave room for more accessories or a future handgun. In retrospect I should have cut the mag slots above the stock for better utilization of space...

The foam is slightly thicker than the pluck foam I moved (1/8" maybe?) so it sticks up just a tiny bit; also, because I chose to not cut all the way through (I may yet) the weapon rides higher in the new foam than the old where it could sink into the lower foam (still there). Makes it a bit tighter in the case but not too much so.

Next, the Sam's Club "pistol" cases. These came out cool!

馃帠USAF Retired
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For the Sam's club cases, I replaced both 2 1/8" soft foam layers with two 2 1/4" Kaizwn foam layers. Each layer holds two weapons and Mags (wondering if I could squeeze in a third or maybe a fourth [if small enough] and carry the mags separate...thoughts?)

The two layers populated but out of the box:

Side view of the two foam layers :

Empty:

Filled:

Inserted:

Again, because of the slightly thicker nature of the new foam, they ride higher than the old foam, but not bad enough to be an issue.

Because these fit so tight, the bottom one is a bit tight to remove; I'm going to cut finger holes on the edges to facilitate removal.

Registered
I saw the post about Kaizen foam inserts and decided to try it. My old range case is too small to carry the P226 Legion RX with the Armory Craft suppressor.

I have the RIDGID tool case, so I ordered the 3 pieces of foam. I also added every knife, marker and scraper that I could think of. The only thing that I used was the thin marker for tracing the pistols and ammo boxes and the thin bladed utility knife.

The thing that concerned me the most was the rough bottom when you tear out the foam at the depth that you need.
After checking out YouTube, I decided to go a different route. I decided to go two layers, which required me to split the two bottom layers of foam to get the dimensions that I needed. I also split the bottom of the layers so that I could trace/cut all the way through the foam for the pistols, and then glue back on the base layer. No ragged base for the pistols to sit on. Way cleaner when you look at the case with items removed.

I built a horizontal hot wire foam slicer as well as a vertical one for the actual cutouts.

The finished range case uses the "sandwich", red foam with black on the top and bottom. I used a 1/8" board with 1/4" nylon pulls to remove the top, pistol layers.

The top layer holds a desiccant container and a Sig P226 Legion RX 9mm, a Sig P210A 9mm, and a Smith & Wesson model 41, 22LR.
The base layer holds 150 rounds of 9mm ammo, 200 rounds of 22LR, a tool pack with allen wrenches and batteries, ear buds and a red dot tool.

Here is what it looks like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.