SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This really isn't a good time to start hunting firearms parts, but I guess I like a little bit of a challenge.

I want to build a new AR rifle, most likely I'll use a 16" barrel, although have not ruled out an 18". I plan to build a 5.56 but the lower will possibly become the foundation for a few other uppers down the road. I ordered an Anderson lower today, a lower parts kit from Aero Precision, as well as a billet trigger guard from Aero Precision.

I know some knock the Anderson lowers, but I've never had any problems with them, and they've always held up just fine. Other parts fit to them as they should, so I don't see any reason to spend more on a name.

Upper parts will probably come from Aero Precision, but they like almost all other manufactures have everything upper on back order.

I need a two stage trigger, and almost everything is on back order. Geissele is on back order, and they're a premium but worth it price. Larue I have never tried yet, and they're always on back order anyway. Has anyone ever tried the Dirty Bird two stage triggers? I'm really not in a super hurry at all, and may order a couple of the Larue triggers and wait.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,447 Posts

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
478 Posts
Now is a much better time to be searching than a few months from now if any of the illegal efforts to restrict weapons seem like they’re making any progress!

I guess the nice thing about your own build is that you always have the option to change/upgrade in the future. If you can’t find the two-stage you want for right now, you can use a standard trigger until the “right” part to install (and then you have a back-up if something happens. 😉).

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure which model of Geissele Trigger you are looking for, but Brownells GEISSELE AUTOMATICS LLC at Brownells has several in stock, as well SWFA Gun Parts | SWFA Outdoors - SWFA Outdoors.

Not too many "sales", as you noticed supply not keeping up with demand.
Yeah I didn't look anywhere except Geissele's site. The SSA is what I would be looking at. I have one on my SIG 716i and on my CMMG Resolute 300 and really like them. I have two Rock River triggers on other rifles and they're not bad and much better that the Milspec offerings. I would like to try a Larue as so many have talked very well of his triggers. They just never have any, and I did an internet search and only found a bow trigger, not really what I want. And I ran across Dirty Bird two stage triggers, and wonder how these are in comparison to the Rock River or the Larue.

I may ask Larue when they expect them, and if I can pre-pay and get one.

I have a Romeo 5 ~ Juliet 3 combo for the new build. I may go ahead and order the Aero Precision upper that I want, and just wait on it.

Reactions: Willard

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I just wanted to put one together with not necessarily the best parts, but with higher quality parts.

I was all things AK at one time. Still have a couple and like them. But once bitten by the AR bug, you get sucked in pretty easily as they're so versatile.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,447 Posts
Yeah I didn't look anywhere except Geissele's site. The SSA is what I would be looking at. I have one on my SIG 716i and on my CMMG Resolute 300 and really like them. I have two Rock River triggers on other rifles and they're not bad and much better that the Milspec offerings. I would like to try a Larue as so many have talked very well of his triggers. They just never have any, and I did an internet search and only found a bow trigger, not really what I want. And I ran across Dirty Bird two stage triggers, and wonder how these are in comparison to the Rock River or the Larue.

I may ask Larue when they expect them, and if I can pre-pay and get one.

I have a Romeo 5 ~ Juliet 3 combo for the new build. I may go ahead and order the Aero Precision upper that I want, and just wait on it.
I started with a couple of the Rock River units myself, a few years back, due to their reduced cost over the then Armalite version. Then went with the Geissele SSA, and SSA-E, before going to the G2S version from Brownells.

Reactions: Ohio SIG

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started with a couple of the Rock River units myself, a few years back, due to their reduced cost over the then Armalite version. Then went with the Geissele SSA, and SSA-E, before going to the G2S version from Brownells.
I sent an email to Larue to see if they can give me a date. If it's a long wait or they really don't know, I'll more than likely will snag a Geissele. I already know how good they are.

Reactions: Willard

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only have sixteen SIGS. Can't afford to let any go. :D

Reactions: Tommy10

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of these?

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
The only two stage trigger I have tried is the one that came in my SR762.
I like it, the second stage breaks nice and clean with the advertised 2.5# pull according to my gauge.
Looks like it's a bit cheaper than it used to be, still more than a Larue though.
In stock at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, 8 of them, in all three calibers! I could hook you up for that one! PM if you want to consider a serious AR build in exchange!
No thanks, I keep my SIGS. When I leave this planet, all of my firearms go to my life long friend David.

Reactions: sigamore

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only two stage trigger I have tried is the one that came in my SR762.
I like it, the second stage breaks nice and clean with the advertised 2.5# pull according to my gauge.
Looks like it's a bit cheaper than it used to be, still more than a Larue though.
In stock at the moment.
I did run across the Ruger trigger, I'm just not really familiar with them at all. I suspect it's somewhat like the SIG version.

I'll see what Mr. Larue has to say, I'm not in a big hurry. And I may just do another Geissele.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I wasn't familiar with the two stage at all and the rack rifle I was looking at had a pretty crappy single stage in it.
I liked it enough that I figured I would drop in a leftover EPT trigger I had and bought one.
The rifle they brought out of stock was the latest version with the two stage trigger that threw me for a loop the first time I dry fired it.
I was expecting the trigger I was fiddling with earlier and thought something was wrong with it at first.

Good triggers are kinda like an infection of the firearm world.
Once one gets it the rest become soured and are soon afflicted as well.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wasn't familiar with the two stage at all and the rack rifle I was looking at had a pretty crappy single stage in it.
I liked it enough that I figured I would drop in a leftover EPT trigger I had and bought one.
The rifle they brought out of stock was the latest version with the two stage trigger that threw me for a loop the first time I dry fired it.
I was expecting the trigger I was fiddling with earlier and thought something was wrong with it at first.

Good triggers are kinda like an infection of the firearm world.
Once one gets it the rest become soured and are soon afflicted as well.
That's exactly right. We're better off not knowing what's better. I didn't think that Milspec AR triggers were all that bad until I used a good two stage in an AR.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts