SIG Talk banner

New Ammo to me, questions to any and all who have used this before

1547 17
I purchased a 50 round box of the American Eagle, FMJ Flat nose 147 grain 9MM ammo. I have almost always used FMJ Round nose or years back, semi wad cutters. Anyone with experience with these, I am wondering if there are plus or minus to using this for target ammo.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

馃帠USAF Veteran
I bought 500 rounds of this a few months back, primarily for my Kimber Micro 9. The Kimber forum had recommended using the 147 gr ammo for break in.

I never had any problems with it. It was on sale online at the time I bought the Micro 9.
I fired it in several different firearms, the only one I had problems with was a CZ 2075 Rami.
For some reason I would get FTEs . The Rami never had problems with other ammo.
As I recall I used the 147gr ammo in my P938, Glock 43, P320 SC, Kimber Micro9 and M&P Shield. No problems in any of them.
As far as advantages of the flat nose design guess I don't know of any.

馃帠USAF Veteran
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought 500 rounds of this a few months back, primarily for my Kimber Micro 9. The Kimber forum had recommended using the 147 gr ammo for break in.

I never had any problems with it. It was on sale online at the time I bought the Micro 9.
I fired it in several different firearms, the only one I had problems with was a CZ 2075 Rami.
For some reason I would get FTEs . The Rami never had problems with other ammo.
As I recall I used the 147gr ammo in my P938, Glock 43, P320 SC, Kimber Micro9 and M&P Shield. No problems in any of them.
As far as advantages of the flat nose design guess I don't know of any.

Thanks for that information, all I was told by the sales staff is there good for punching round holes in targets. Not sure what that might be other then they don't keyhole or tear up target paper. I don't know for sure, just what I was told. We shall see.

Registered
I've had no issues with it in my Sigs. I regularly shoot it in my IDPA practices. I've put it thru a P226 SSE,a P938,P228,and a S&W Shield with no hiccups of any sort.All my guns and ammo are more accurate than I .

Registered
Thanks for that information, all I was told by the sales staff is there good for punching round holes in targets. Not sure what that might be other then they don't keyhole or tear up target paper. I don't know for sure, just what I was told. We shall see.
Sorry, but I omitted that information from my post.

Truncated cone and wadcutters and semi wadcutters by design punch nice clean, round holes in paper, whereas sometimes other bullet shapes don't, depending on the target material.

That's by design as Bullseye and other target shooters get their targets measured to the very edge of the bullet hole and sometimes as little as 0.020" or less can win or lose a match.

Registered
I bought a couple of boxes when I switch to Fed 147 HST for defense ammo. I want the same grain for punching paper to acclimate to the potential recoil. I experience several FTF with it in my P229EE, so I haven't bought any more. However, every gun has it's own like and dislikes in ammo. So my experience may not your own.

Registered
Another benefit with this round is that it is subsonic - now you are ready to pick up a suppressor! ;)
If you shoot at an indoor range, I highly encourage you to shoot a few subsonic rounds through a rental gun/suppressor before laying out your money for one.

I've seen a number of people change their minds after trying one, including me.

Premium Member
If you shoot at an indoor range, I highly encourage you to shoot a few subsonic rounds through a rental gun/suppressor before laying out your money for one.

I've seen a number of people change their minds after trying one, including me.
Change their mind on chasing a silencer or change their mind on the brand?

Registered
Change their mind on chasing a silencer or change their mind on the brand?
Change their minds about going through all the hassle and the money for a very small drop in sound. I've fired a FA MP5 with and without a silencer and also a .45 ACP and a .22LR in indoor ranges.

The .22 is worth the money, as all you hear is the sound of the action. The others go from loud to sorta loud, something that the people I've queried and myself feel is not worth anything like the time and money it costs.

Again, it's not just me, but a number of people I know, the last changing his mind last week after he rented a suppressed 9MM.

I think an awful lot of people buy into the Hollywood hype about suppressors and are extremely disappointed when they confront reality.

Registered
Another reason for these flat nose bullets showing up is they mimic a hollow point design and allow you to train with something similar to your SD round.

Many guns can be finicky about HPs and if they have a problem with these they will likely have a problem with HPs

Resident Armorer Premium Member
I started using that as training ammunition 20 years ago, as my PD carried 147 Hydra-Shok in the '90s as duty ammo. This AE9FP shot to the same point of impact, and had the same recoil impulse. We had Sig P226s in 9mm, but I've also used it in my Mark III BHP, a Beretta 92FS, Kahr K9, Sig P6, P225, and M11A1. Except for an hard primer, once in a great while, I have never had a problem with it, feeding in anything... even the primers normally fire on the second strike when it happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.