SIG Talk banner

New 9mm

1538 15
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about purchasing my first 9mm. My question for you all is this: In your opinion, would a person be better off getting a high end model like the Legion SAO that is a beast right out of the box, or get a more basic model, and have it worked over by one of the Sig wizards out there?
Kind of want the Legion SAO, kind of want the 226 rx, and forgive me, but I kind of like the Wilson Combat version of the Beretta 92 Brigadier.
No wrong answers, just curious what you guys think.

Thanks.
Reactions: sigsrok
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7,353 Posts
In all reality, whether it be Legion or regular P226, either could prolly use a good trigger job by Robert Burke.
If it were me, either one I would get, would also be sent to Robert Burke. All that being said, I'd just get a Legion. They're a really nice pistol from what I understand, for not that too much more than a regular 226 or 229...
But, whatever ya do, send it to The Sig Armorer Robert Burke. He'll really make that SAO trigger nice...
And......Robert's work is guaranteed for life, and will not void your warranty with Sig.

· Registered
747 Posts
While I don't have a SAO Legion (I do have a P226 Legion DA/SA) I do own a P226RX SAO, very similar to the SAO Legion. I can't tell you how best to spend your money but I can tell you that the SAO I own is the most accurate pistol I have ever shot. The trigger is THAT GOOD! My Legion is an excellent pistol as well, with a very good trigger with the substitution of a Wolff reduced power mainspring, essentially a $7 10 minute triggers job.

I would suggest that the added features on the Legion are worth the premium, and I can suggest you shoot it and then decide if you want to send it off for trigger work.

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,440 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about purchasing my first 9mm. My question for you all is this: In your opinion, would a person be better off getting a high end model like the Legion SAO that is a beast right out of the box, or get a more basic model, and have it worked over by one of the Sig wizards out there?
Kind of want the Legion SAO, kind of want the 226 rx, and forgive me, but I kind of like the Wilson Combat version of the Beretta 92 Brigadier.
No wrong answers, just curious what you guys think.

Thanks.
Well, first off, I guess I would want to know your intentions, for this 9mm?

If it's for strictly range fun, or competition, why not look at one of the X5/X6 models, and if you want the RX... get a 320!!! If it's good enough for the Sig backed team, it should be good enough for you.

If it's for SD/EDC... I'd look at the P225A1, P239, or M11A1 for a "no rail" snag-less carry package. With the DA/SA you have the long double action pull for "safety" without having to remember to disengage a mechanical one. and single action follow-up shots as necessary. You can "de-cock as necessary" to return to the long double action pull! If you want a SAO, then look at one of the rail-less 1911 models in 9mm, a little "trimmer" than a Legion P226 SAO.

Reactions: tevans9129

· Registered
11,371 Posts
Welcome!

I have a Beretta M9, with a custom trigger job and many other 9mm guns.

Buy as many as you can afford. Just buy quality weapons. SIG is OK, too!!

Reactions: SlySleuth

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, first off, I guess I would want to know your intentions, for this 9mm?

If it's for strictly range fun, or competition, why not look at one of the X5/X6 models, and if you want the RX... get a 320!!! If it's good enough for the Sig backed team, it should be good enough for you.

If it's for SD/EDC... I'd look at the P225A1, P239, or M11A1 for a "no rail" snag-less carry package. With the DA/SA you have the long double action pull for "safety" without having to remember to disengage a mechanical one. and single action follow-up shots as necessary. You can "de-cock as necessary" to return to the long double action pull! If you want a SAO, then look at one of the rail-less 1911 models in 9mm, a little "trimmer" than a Legion P226 SAO.

Appreciate the response. I won't be carrying this gun, or using it for home defense. I have a 239 & a 220 for those roles. It will be for (light-hearted) competition and range fun.

I wish I was in the market for an X5/X6, but my meager mechanical designer wage simply won't allow it.

I just can't bring myself to get excited over a plastic gun like the 320. I've never shot one, and I don't have much desire to try one. I'm sure it's a fine weapon, but I don't think it's for me.

1911 is a maybe, but I don't know if I want to take on an ever-evolving project like a 1911. Maybe though.

· Registered
7,298 Posts
For whatever purpose you may have, just make sure you get a pistol you like.

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,440 Posts
Appreciate the response. I won't be carrying this gun, or using it for home defense. I have a 239 & a 220 for those roles. It will be for (light-hearted) competition and range fun.

I wish I was in the market for an X5/X6, but my meager mechanical designer wage simply won't allow it.

I just can't bring myself to get excited over a plastic gun like the 320. I've never shot one, and I don't have much desire to try one. I'm sure it's a fine weapon, but I don't think it's for me.

1911 is a maybe, but I don't know if I want to take on an ever-evolving project like a 1911. Maybe though.
Well, if you really want the RX... E26R-9-BSE-SAO-RX @ $1481 MSRP
But if the 1911 intrigues you... 1911T-9-SME @ $1164 MSRP
Or the Legion SAO... E26R-9-LEGION-SAO @ $1413 MSRP

I can understand your reservations about a polymer framed gun, 40+ years ago I said the same thing about aluminum framed guns... didn't think they would last! Same thing basically about "striker fired" pistols, and the jury is still out on that one in "my" mind, at least for "defensive use", even though I used to own an early Kahr K9 as a backup weapon.

**** luck with your decision!

· Registered
554 Posts
Well, I recently bought a Legion P226 SAO. It is my 9th Sig pistol. I LOVE it!!
I cant see how the trigger could be improved upon. Possible, I guess. But mine breaks right 3 lb, 4 oz to 3 lb 7 oz, over 10 pulls with my Lyman digi trigger pull gauge.
The reset is half of that on my 2010 vintage P220 Dark Elite. Well, even that of my newer P229 SAS and P239 SAS. Very, very short reset. Very crisp too.
It is not my most accurate Sig (have only put 100 or so rd thru it so far), but it is probably my 2nd most accurate Sig!
I waited to get a Legion (Why?!?!?). I knew that I wanted the SAO. I can't recommend it highly enough. You will love the Leigion P226 SAO!
They are coming out with a P220 Legion in SAO. That will be my next Sig!
Get the Legion P226 SAO...

EDIT:
I bought mine a month ago for $1190 + tax.

Reactions: JDC

· Registered
7,353 Posts
Well, I recently bought a Legion P226 SAO. It is my 9th Sig pistol. I LOVE it!!
I cant see how the trigger could be improved upon. Possible, I guess. But mine breaks right 3 lb, 4 oz to 3 lb 7 oz, over 10 pulls with my Lyman digi trigger pull gauge.
The reset is half of that on my 2010 vintage P220 Dark Elite. Well, even that of my newer P229 SAS and P239 SAS. Very, very short reset. Very crisp too.
It is not my most accurate Sig (have only put 100 or so rd thru it so far), but it is probably my 2nd most accurate Sig!
I waited to get a Legion (Why?!?!?). I knew that I wanted the SAO. I can't recommend it highly enough. You will love the Leigion P226 SAO!
They are coming out with a P220 Legion in SAO. That will be my next Sig!
Get the Legion P226 SAO...

EDIT:
I bought mine a month ago for $1190 + tax.
That's pretty amazing for a stock trigger, especially a non x5. The American rifleman tested one and it had 5/64" of creep and broke at 4.9 pounds.....but did have an extremely short reset. And arent those 226 single action legions supposed to come with about a 5 pound break?
Oh well, I hang on to that one.....
Just read another report of one coming in at 2 pounds 15 ounces! Thats awesome....
Id like to find a dealer that had some in stock so I could pick one out lol...

· Registered
2,290 Posts
For your intended uses I would go SAO P226 Legion! I've got numerous Sigs and Glocks for carry and HD. I recently got a Colt Commander 45 just because I always wanted and didn't have. (The 1911 is awesome!). About a month ago I fondled a SAO legion 9mm at LGS and it is haunting me big time. That trigger is phenomenal, extremely short reset, crisp, light and no over travel. I keep telling myself "I don't need it"! It's a lot of cash for a range toy and to me that's what it would be. I'm really trying to resist but that thing is sweet.

· Registered
554 Posts
That's pretty amazing for a stock trigger, especially a non x5. The American rifleman tested one and it had 5/64" of creep and broke at 4.9 pounds.....but did have an extremely short reset. And arent those 226 single action legions supposed to come with about a 5 pound break?
Oh well, I hang on to that one.....
Just read another report of one coming in at 2 pounds 15 ounces! Thats awesome....
Id like to find a dealer that had some in stock so I could pick one out lol...
It sure is a nice trigger! I recently started getting a "benchmark" for trigger pulls on my new pistols. I run two sets of 10 pulls and ave. all 20 pulls. My Legion SAO was at 3#, 11 oz from day one. It has lightened up a bit over the past 100 rd or so.
Heck, even my new P229 SAS has a 4# 10 oz ave. for it's SA pull. And 11 # 4 oz, DA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.