SIG Talk banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ok got my 938 back today. Very happy with us toner service. They paid shipping both ways and had it back to me in 7 business days which was good. I was surprised fed ex showed up this morning.

I sent it in with a letter explaining the problems along with pics and ammo box tags of my problem ammo. The tech upgraded the extractor although I had no fte issues. And polished the ramp so the gouge is gone. However he only put 25 rnds of 124 blazer brass. They did not run any 115 which got me tweaked since I specifically said don't send it back unless it tests ok with 115 gr ammo.

So I guess now it is on me to retest my gun which IMO is poor. I will update once I have a chance to get some range time in. Hope to get 100 in it this week.

·
Registered
35,489 Posts
I sent two guns in to Sig service a 1911 45 and a 938. My experience along with reading lots of forum posts say the same thing.
The only rounds Sig ever shoots is Blazer brass. Going way back.
They must have a good contract price. They must have a great contract price with Fed ex. With the 290,238.938 etc. Fed ex has been busy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I sent two guns in to Sig service a 1911 45 and a 938. My experience along with reading lots of forum posts say the same thing.
The only rounds Sig ever shoots is Blazer brass. Going way back.
They must have a good contract price. They must have a great contract price with Fed ex. With the 290,238.938 etc. Fed ex has been busy.
Yea I understand it is business and when dealing with costly warranty work especially on this scale you need to make sure that you are just getting to a break even point with each gun sent in. However when you are directly told that you have a specific 115gr problem you could atleast use 115gr blazer to trouble shoot! This way you dont have to pay to have it shipped in twice if the 115gr issue still persists. Not smart business Imo but hey who am I right lol!

·
Registered
35,489 Posts
I have read where some have sent ammo to Sig to test with.
It is kinda like warrenty car repair at a dealership. Just get it out the door quick as you can. If you want something fixed really right, hire it done.

My experience was, and others I read, that once the new style extractor is installed 115 grain is good to go. Sig also replaces the recoil spring. My origional was 3 1/2 and the new was 4 3/8. Gotta be stronger, but Sig would not tell me the difference.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Blazer has a bit more power than the underpowered Winston white box so blazer cycles all the way back and returns well (taking cycling due to new spring off the list of issues). Blazer aluminum also solves ejection problems of other tiny 9mm unless the barrel gets too hot. it's a bit shorter than some 9mm- it seats in all the way. Some 9mm brands are too long for small pistols. Plus blazer is cheap and ultra dirty so it proves they test fired it.

Many times manufacturers use special testing ammo that verifies in a faint color residue that a new gun was tested in house. Blazer is the common testing round for 9mm in small pistols.

Good luck with taking your 938 to try out and I can't wait to hear the results.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So first was 50 rounds of estate first mag and about mid box I had two failure to feed issues. These were different then the first range trip with the federal in that the fed went into the chamber about 90% of the way. The estates did not feed in at all.

Next was the lellior and Bellot. I had 3 failure to fire issues. Slide was fully forward upon inspection. Very light primer strike. One was so light i didn't think it was hit at all upon first glance. 2 of the 3 were fired off a second time no problem. I kept the ultra light hit one es.
Stand your various brand rounds on a table against each other. . Don't be shocked if the one is slightly longer than each other. This effects the seating in chamber of some mini pistols and affects ejection. Shorter rounds are better.

This Light primer strike pic looks more like pin imprinting when chambering.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have had great luck with Federal 115gr FMJ bulk from Walmart........$19.95 for 100rds.
But mine also does fine with range reloads 115gr FMJ.

What I won't use is Winchester white box

·
Registered
85 Posts
My Nightmare has been flawless with 115 Blazer Brass and 115 UMC. Win White Box has been iffy. What I have gleefully added to my list of good ammo is Speer Lawman 124gr. Bi-Mart, an odd northwest everything store has the 124gr for $11.87 per 50, and mine LOVES them. My new go to plinker!

I have also noted that my gun likes the mag springs slightly worn in, I got two more 7 rounders in the mail and it works markedly better with my now somewhat broken in mags with the White Box junk. That'll be the last of that stuff the 938 sees though, the other couple hundred rounds I have on hand will be fed to my bullet garbage disposal, my Smith 3913. Old girl is happy to consume anything the Sig deems unworthy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had great luck with Federal 115gr FMJ bulk from Walmart........$19.95 for 100rds.
Funny, those are the rounds mine were hanging up on. I only shot them before sending it to Sig. On Sig's Customer Service Rep's recommendation, I ordered 4 boxes of Lawman via a LGS...this order also has my new Steyr S-A1coming. :cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well since we finally got past the holidays and few health issues i got the 938 back to the range for testing. Sig polished the gouge out of the ramp and upgraded the extractor. So far 100 rounds of 115 gr estate fed perfect. Hope the trend continues and 115 will be good to go.

I have been carrying the 938 daily with critical duty 135 +p ammo. Been waiting for ammo man to get the 124 gr +p gold dots back in stock so i can order some in bulk.

I'll report back if any issues come up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
P938 happy owner

I purchased my P938 two weeks ago, I don't want to jinks myself but I haven't had any issues that weren't operator error :D. I have been using 115g fmj WWB and blazer ammo without an issue. I have found that the accuracy is really pretty good for a gun this size, not at all the same as my Springfield XD9 but good none the less. The picture is from 40 feet give or take.

I will say that the take down and cleaning is a bit of a pain. The pin that sits behind the slide lock is very delicate, be careful not to get it caught on a cleaning patch or cloth. I don't like that you have to push the extractor down to clear the slide, but "not to far" as to bend it....I called Sig and asked how far is not to far, and they said just a little bit....Aside from that I am very happy with it. Mine was born on 12/12/12 - last time that will ever happen:lol:

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Since Christmas

I have a P938 Blackwood. So far in three weeks, a little over 500rds. with zero FTE or FTF. I do stick with 124gr or more, but I knew that going in as a manufacturers recomendation. I have used both commercial and home reload FMJ and FMJHP with equal success (wadcutters were a BIG NO GO). I do love this little gun. I you want more grip, I might suggest Hogues Molded Rubber Grip. Finger grooved, real nice palm swell and only $26 + $8 S&H. It looks good with the extended mag too. Keep practicing, I hope to be over a 1000rds by the end of the month, but I only expect increased performance :D.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts