SIG Talk banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
So last night I took down the 938 again. Used solvent to get it super clean and then reoiled it and greased the rails. After removing the guide rod and spring I have trouble getting the barrel out of the slide. It was hung up in the ejection port of the slide. After a minute of wrestling with it i got it out. re assembled it a few times and each time had issues getting it back out. It seems to cycle properly when I rack the slide but removing it was harder then it should be. Maybe some issue with machining but not 100 % on that yet it just seems tolerances are to tight.

Next I discovered a scratch on the slide ramp. It is so far left and near the top it is hard to believe it could be a problem but at least I have a few potential factors I can focus on as to explain the paper weight syndrome.
No you are not being picky.
SEND IT BACK to Sig with a detailed explanation of what continues to happen. Print your pics and send those as well
The will fix or replace the pistol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What ^. Don't know what the post above is about. Took my 938 out yesterday. Put 200 rounds through it perfect. No problems at all. Hope yours straightens out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
took my new nightmare out on Friday for first run.....prior did an initial field strip, flitz and felt polish on the ramp with a dremmel, oil and grease and ran 100 Magtech 124gr and cycled perfectly.

I will need more time to get used to the flip.....but loving the feel, weight and cycling. I need to send a box of 115 down range, but my shots were well grouped.

Like you, I'm also getting used to training for the thumb safety.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -
George Bernard Shaw

So last night I took down the 938 again. Used solvent to get it super clean and then reoiled it and greased the rails. After removing the guide rod and spring I have trouble getting the barrel out of the slide. It was hung up in the ejection port of the slide. After a minute of wrestling with it i got it out. re assembled it a few times and each time had issues getting it back out. It seems to cycle properly when I rack the slide but removing it was harder then it should be. Maybe some issue with machining but not 100 % on that yet it just seems tolerances are to tight.

Next I discovered a scratch on the slide ramp. It is so far left and near the top it is hard to believe it could be a problem but at least I have a few potential factors I can focus on as to explain the paper weight syndrome.

Bonus I met my new neighbor who is a swat guy. He handed me 5 boxes of wichester ranger nato fmj to feed it. He said if it doesn't eat this then send it back lol! Super nice guy and he has good taste in guns and an impressive collection. Hopefully one of my new shooting buddies. I think I live on the safest street in america. Both sides of the culdisac for 4 houses in each direction are all either military or LEO!

So I guess we will see what will happen with these.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
2nd range report

Ok so today I squeezed a half hour out of my day and hit the range. I got one hundred rounds of the 124gr ranger ammo through it. I was fast firing at target 20' away started doing triple tap 2 mass one hip then went just head or mass fast fire. Again very happy with accuracy. This truly a great shooting pistol with accuracy that no doubt exceeds most operators.

I was successful in firing all 100 rounds with no FTF issues which was good. I am hoping to go again tomorrow to get another 150 through it. If they go through ok then my confidence will be up a bit more with it. To say the gun felt much better. Parlt because I knew what to expect from it but I think it was mostly the 124 grain. It just seems to be cycling much better on 124 then 115.

I still need to make a decision on the barrel ramp gouge but I will take it back the dealer to get there feedback before I send it in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
P938

I just bought the P938 last weekend. My wife and I bought it for home and personal protection. We are complete newbies when it comes to guns. We put 50 rounds through it and only had one FTF but it was on the very first magazine my wife loaded and she had a hard time with it. I don't know if you can load a magazine incorrectly but we chalked it up to that. That was the only issue we had with it. I did notice that the barrel has marks on it were I am assuming it is hitting the slide. Do I not have enough oil on it? I have been hearing a lot of horror stories on this gun but luckily we haven't had any problems with it. Again we only put 50 rounds through it to show my wife how to operate it so we haven't put a lot through it. We used the 115grn Federal FMJ. I saw someone online say if it can shoot this ammo without issue it can shoot anything.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just bought the P938 last weekend. My wife and I bought it for home and personal protection. We are complete newbies when it comes to guns. We put 50 rounds through it and only had one FTF but it was on the very first magazine my wife loaded and she had a hard time with it. I don't know if you can load a magazine incorrectly but we chalked it up to that. That was the only issue we had with it. I did notice that the barrel has marks on it were I am assuming it is hitting the slide. Do I not have enough oil on it? I have been hearing a lot of horror stories on this gun but luckily we haven't had any problems with it. Again we only put 50 rounds through it to show my wife how to operate it so we haven't put a lot through it. We used the 115grn Federal FMJ. I saw someone online say if it can shoot this ammo without issue it can shoot anything.
For your Q about the barrel - assuming it's the typical "smiley" marks, yes that is normal. Even after a few rounds, your barrel will start to show smiley shaped finish wear on the top. As long as the gun is properly lubricated and you don't notice any wearing of the metal itself, it is 100% normal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
115 federal is what choked mine. So I will be looking at one more Box of it and then move to something else. I think this gun just prefers 124 and up but with only 230 rounds in it I do not have enough data to determine that yet. It definitely feels better with 124 when shooting though IMO.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Glad you're enjoying your 938! I might pick one up in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
new 938 first sig

I purchesed my sig 938 last week and today was the first time I had to shoot it. I had Fed. 115gr and Aguila 115gr. The first magazine I had 2 jams where the ammo would not enter the chamber. Droped the magazine and ejected the round. Both rounds were put back into the magazine and worked ok. Out of 2 hundred rounds had at lease 15 jams. Some jams were that the round would not comepletely enter the chamber and the slide would not close all the way.
I got this gun as a second carry gun. There is no way I would trust this gun for home or carry.

Lou

·
Registered
35,489 Posts
115 federal is what choked mine. So I will be looking at one more Box of it and then move to something else. I think this gun just prefers 124 and up but with only 230 rounds in it I do not have enough data to determine that yet. It definitely feels better with 124 when shooting though IMO.
Sig earlier in the summer said break in with 300 rounds of 124.
I know mine smoothed out past 300 rounds and will feed about anything now.
I do like the feel of 124 also.
Hang in there.
Your neighbor is truley a friendship to cultivate. Steaks on the grill and all that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
3rd range trip report

Ok so I did a follow up today after talking to my dealer I got the p938 from. I picked up a box of estate 115 fmj and a box of Lelliers and bellot 115 gr fmj. I also brought a box of the Winchester ranger 124 fmj.

Here is another target at 20 ft. 100 rounds center mass 50 head was the plan. You will see 5 shots wide right there is a reason not relevant to issues.

So first was 50 rounds of estate first mag and about mid box I had two failure to feed issues. These were different then the first range trip with the federal in that the fed went into the chamber about 90% of the way. The estates did not feed in at all. In both estate ammo jambs it was the last round of the mag. One in the 6 shot and one in the 7 shot.

Next was the lellior and Bellot. I had 3 failure to fire issues. Slide was fully forward upon inspection. Very light primer strike. One was so light i didn't think it was hit at all upon first glance. 2 of the 3 were fired off a second time no problem. I kept the ultra light hit one for sig.

Last I put 50 Winchester ranger 124 and it had no problems. So all issues are with 115gr at this point. Either way it is going back to sig. A gun this much should fire 115 reliably IMO. I am going to send the estate rounds along with the lellier rounds and pics to sig. Maybe it will help them resolve it. I am going to tell them that they need to test it with 115 ammo because that is where the problem is at this point. Hope to get it out on Friday I'll follow up with more when I get it back.

Shot count so far 380
230 115 gr with 10 issues
150 124 gr no issues.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Looks like there'sa few things going wrong at this point. I would like to first point out that Sellier and Bellot ammo has been known to have some hard primers, like TulAmmo, and that it causes problems in other handguns, too. The last-round-FTF looks like a weak mag spring issue, but could stem from a short 115 bullet in combination with that weird feed ramp scratch you've got. Send 'er to SIG!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I traded my 6 month old SIG P238 Extreme with F/O front sights for a new P938 Extreme last week (got a really good deal - my 238 and $180). Loved my P238 but I'm having a hard time finding 380's locally and they are expensive when I do. I already load my own 45's (have 2-1911's) so I figured I might as well purchase another 9mm (also have a Springfield XD Service model) and load 9's too. That way I have all my guns covered.

After breaking it down for a through cleaning I took it out to the range yesterday and ran 250 factory rounds (115g Herter's) through it without any issues (using both the 6 and 7 round mag's). I need to spend more time with it since I'm pulling low and to the left about 3" sometimes (shooter's fault not 938). I spend more time shooting 45's and don't have the problem with them but the 938 is going to be my carry so I will be working on that.

I expected much more recoil but recoil isn't an issue. In fact you would probably have to shoot both guns side by side to detect any difference. I was pleasantly surprised. I've tried shooting some of the small polymer frame 9's and found them to be really mean on recoil. I went with the 938 because I wanted something that was reliable and fun to shoot. If you don't enjoy what you're carrying you aren't going to spend much time practicing with it.

The only complaint I have is the heavy trigger pull. It's not unreasonable but it is a little heavier than what I prefer. I know most people feel a small gun should have a heavy trigger pull because it is more likely to be carried with a round in the chamber. Since I'm not a big fan of carrying hot, a light trigger pull will not be an issue. I'll probably check with a local GS about a lighter trigger job (probably between 4 and 4-1/2 pounds. I find it easier and safer to rack the slide with my left hand as I going up to level for the shot. This works fine for me with a small gun like the 238 and 938.

Will keep in touch if I run across any issues.

·
Registered
801 Posts
SteveAus;45128 The only complaint I have is the heavy trigger pull. It's not unreasonable but it is a little heavier than what I prefer. I know most people feel a small gun should have a heavy trigger pull because it is more likely to be carried with a round in the chamber. Since I'm not a big fan of carrying hot said:
You can fix your own 938 trigger if your a bit handy......I did my own ;)

P938 Trigger improvement - 1911Forum

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ok so I did a follow up today after talking to my dealer I got the p938 from. I picked up a box of estate 115 fmj and a box of Lelliers and bellot 115 gr fmj. I also brought a box of the Winchester ranger 124 fmj. So all issues are with 115gr at this point. Either way it is going back to sig. A gun this much should fire 115 reliably IMO. I am going to send the estate rounds along with the lellier rounds and pics to sig. Maybe it will help them resolve it. I am going to tell them that they need to test it with 115 ammo because that is where the problem is at this point. Hope to get it out on Friday I'll follow up with more when I get it back.

Shot count so far 380
230 115 gr with 10 issues
150 124 gr no issues.
938s can shoot 115gr FMJ just fine based on mine that has shot over 1200 founds of 115gr FMJ a mix of Federal Bulk and range reloads. 11 FTE in these 1200+

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Sig Sauer!!! Congrats on your new acquisition...

·
Registered
178 Posts
In the manual I think Sig should print quite boldly that they recommend 124grain or greater be fired thru this particular pistol or pass the word around to gunshops to state to their customers that purchase this gun to do so instead of waiting for folks to call customer service to comment on how unreliable and displeased they are with it and then be told they should use 124grn rounds. By that time many are probably already soured by the experience have told others of their disappointment with the unit and brand and wary of ever trusting it as a go-to piece. Always in the back of the mind are those instances of FTF, FTE, etc..

Although it's perhaps not a fair comparison, the strong recommendations of round types by Kimber with regards the Solo are well known. They make no secret of it and I think saves some the extra expense and bother of finding all this out later once they've become distrustful of the pistol.

·
Registered
35,489 Posts
Early on Sig recommended 124 grain. They don't push it much now.
Out of the box my extreme handled 115 and 124 about the same.
When it came back from Sig I had two fail to close. Both on the last round out of the 7 clip. Since then it has been 100% on about 300 and counting shooting everything.

Hang in there, and wear it in. Send it back to Sig if you have issues. If you do be detailed in writing with all issues. In time you will have a good shooter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice discussion. I am hoping to pick my Extreme up tomorrow. Can't wait!!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts